Belzer Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1140 students

We are best known for high expectations & academic success

Sweep tile

Posted February 26, 2014

In case people forgot, EVERYTHING has its pros and cons. Every school is going to have its problems. My daughter just left Belzer last year, she was there for her 7th and 8th grade years. She LOVED it there (as much as a child can love school). One of the things that my daughter loved about Belzer was the principal Mr. Knoderer. She noted how he made a point to know all of his students; he saw a face... he knew their name. He talked to them about how they were doing; he valued them all and their opinions and I think much of the staff fed off of this as well. I've had a few emotional/mental concerns with my daughter due to a great deal of loss in her life and when sharing this with her counselor Mrs. Neal, she showed great compassion, maintained communication with myself and her teachers and helped my daughter whenever she needed it. I cannot say enough how much I've loved Lawrence Township! I hope it only continues to prosper!

Posted February 16, 2014

Our daughter attended Belzer for 7th and 8th grade. We were very pleased with the quality of her education. The communication from teachers was excellent and consistent. She greatly enjoyed the extracurriculars including band and sports. Belzer prepared her very well to take advanced courses in high school. We are eager for our next child to come to Belzer.

Posted September 26, 2007

I have 2 sons who attend BMS and 1 son who is now in high school and he also attended BMS from 7th to 8th grade. My personal opinion regarding BMS is that the teachers that my sons have had throughout their tenure @ BMS are good at what they do and seem to be sincere in making sure that the students understand what is expected of them and make sure they retain and understand the information that is being taught throughout the year with lots of different resources. I also like the fact that each grade has a team and that there's 1 teacher that is designated the team leader of the team and on a more regular basis sends emails to the parents upcoming homework, progress reports, upcoming events, etc. Keep up the good work

Posted April 3, 2007

I have two boys in Belzer Middle School and have been fortunate enough to always have a fairly good group of teachers. We have also been fortunate enough to have a few teachers that truly have made a difference for my sons. And my experience with school staff outside of my own children has always shown them to be caring and interested in the best interests.

Posted March 10, 2007

Belzer Middle School is a great school that provides good education for growing teenagers minds and it also packs lots of fun in the learning activities

Posted May 23, 2006

We have had three children attend Belzer Middle School. My last daughter recently completed the 7th grade. We have had excellent teachers during our tenure. There are many opportunities for student and parent involvement. The counselors are experienced and respond promptly to concerns. I have found that in any school setting that it is essential to be a partner with the school. The students that perform academically, follow the rules, and participate in activities are the happiest.

Posted April 29, 2006

All I ahve to say is that Belzer Middle School is great. They have good teachers, good security, plenty extra-curricular activities, and good classes. Students learn what they should at a rate they are comfortable with. The normal classes are good for people that learn at a normal rate, while the STRETCH program challenges the students highly, seeing they do 8th grade math. This is a wonderful school.

Posted June 26, 2005

This school does offer academic and extracurricular activities. But you the parent's need to get involved with your child. Middle school is a culture shock for us all, my daughter went from F's to A,B honor roll, Avid program, color guard, orchestra and cheerleading and anything that can keep that little mind busy. Belzer has been a learning experience but it's middle school. So quit putting it down and get involved in your childs life, it's not the schools place to raise your kids. Teachers don't get paid enough already, have you looked at their income level ? They don't get paid enought o babysit 25 kids per class.

Posted May 18, 2005

I have had mixed feelings about this school. My son had one year that was not very good as far as the teaching, but has had one excellent group of teachers and one average group.

Posted April 1, 2005

This school provided the best that they could offer given the financial circumstances. Lack of books, space. The school security is getting better. more police are on school grounds, which seems to have assisted the over the top amount of crimes that occur on a daily basis.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 13, 2005

As a parent of 3 BMS kids, I have to say that it has been a wonderful experience. My kids loved it there and most of their teachers. No school is perfect and just like the 'real world' they ran into challenging situations, but our kids have gained a lot from being there. The TD classes are challenging - if you let the teachers challenge. My only complaint is that there is clearly a group of parents who 'gang up' on teachers and other parents when they don't get their way. My only advice to them is get over it - you're not gaining anything by putting down others and forcing your way into certain classes or getting your kids put onto teams with 'their friends'. You're not teaching your kids anything by making things easy for them. The world does not revolve around you.

Posted December 23, 2004

The quality of education is extremely inferior to the schools in the suburbs. It is dangerous and the teachers don't seem to care about their students. TD classes are not even as good as regular classes in other schools. The core subjects are weak. School spirit is strong. The school does not seem very safe to me.

Posted July 26, 2004

I am a 8th grade student that goes to Belzer, and to me it is one of the best schools ever. Belzer Middle School is one of the first schools to have the Avid Program. This program is a class that prepares students for college. There aren't alot of fights in my opinon, and when there is they call the police and that makes me feel safe. They have a very low tolerance for disruptive students. We have so many parents and helpers and extra curriculum activities that there is hardly anyway to get in trouble. The main reason that the school is a success is because of the principal he is involved in every single student, and mostly everyday he comes and eats in the cafeteria, which shows he cares. This is a wonderful school and I would recommend sending your child here.

Posted June 19, 2004

If you want your son/daughter to have an inner city experience-this is the school! TD at Belzer isn't the kind of challenge you think. I think the main emphasis at this school is population management. I think kids with potential would be better served outside of Lawrence Township schools. This is not a school I am proud of.

Posted May 4, 2004

I have a son who is going to school, and the teachers are by far do try thier best with him. They have a good staff.

Posted April 5, 2004

I have 2 kids in Belzer right now and yes I have heard all about kids being in trouble and the police are called. Well to me that means its safe school that they actually take charge and call the police. Where we came from if my kids got hurt from a kid in his school at school I had to wait and when my kid got home from school I had to call the police. I think like all schools there are good teachers and some that are not so good but that goes for the parents to. When we have kids that do not want to live by the rules and get into trouble we have parents that back them up. I think that belzer is great.

Posted March 3, 2004

In response to a previous review, I have never seen an arrest or a fight at the school, and I am there once a week. I can't say it never happpens, but the principal runs a tight ship, and I do not worry about my child's safety while at school. My child has great teachers, and she is in the Talent Development program (gifted and talented)and receiving a very good education.

Posted December 8, 2003

Belzer is not a safe school for teachers or students.

Posted September 9, 2003

Belzer is a good school. The staff is very high quality, caring about students and their academic success. It is a large school and unfortunately things happen! The scores of the students are higher than average and the students are prepared to go on to high school and college. Parents are given ample opportunity to participate and are welcome in classrooms at any time. Belzer is a safe school. It is much safer than most others. People need to look at the whole picture not just a isolated incident. I moved to the area to be in the Belzer district.

Posted August 26, 2003

I have one child attending Belzer at this time and believe it to be an excellent school. I have heard no reports of trouble in the school. They have great academics and extra-curricular activities. I have found the staff to be caring and accessible.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress-Plus (ISTEP+) assessment to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, grades 4 and 6 in science, and in grades 5 and 7 in social studies. The ISTEP+ is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Indiana. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 74% in 2013.

518 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

512 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 69% in 2013.

516 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 76% in 2013.

496 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

484 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 70% in 2013.

183 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the End-of-Course (ECA) assessment to test students in middle and high school in Algebra I, Biology I, and English 10. The ECA is a criterion-referenced assessment developed specifically for students completing their instruction in Algebra I, Biology I, or English 10. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "C".

Indiana uses the A through F School Grading System to assess the overall performance of a school. For the 2011-2012 school year, schools were graded based on performance and participation levels in state standardized tests and student growth using the Indiana Growth Model. In addition, high schools were graded on four-year (on-time) graduation rates and college and career readiness indicators including Advanced Placment exam results and industry certification exam results.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISTEP and End of Course Assessment results.

2 This rating is based on 2011-12 and 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in Math and English Language Arts

Multiracial 7% 4%

Special education 14%N/A14%
English learners 8%N/A5%
Source: IN Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Natalie Schneider – Presidential Award for Excellence in Mat (2012)
  • Three 8th grade students from Mr. Mike Connors class – CSPA (2012)

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language impairments
  • Visual impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• 8:50 a.m.
School end time
  • 3:45 p.m.
  • Mr Troy Knoderer
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (317) 543-3355

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher

Performing arts
  • Creative writing
  • Poetry

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Academic Pursuit

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school
School colors
  • red, white
School mascot
  • Bruins

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

Students typically come from these schools
Brook Park
Harrison Hill
Skiles Test

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Lawrence Central High School

7555 East 56th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46226

Choosing a school in Indianapolis?

Planning a visit?

Download the school visit checklist

Download