Lawrence North High School

Public | 9-12 | 2308 students

We are best known for our challenging academics, Immersion program, performing arts and winning athletic teams

Sweep tile

Posted February 25, 2014

LN offers a wide range of courses including Honors, AP, ACP, IB, AVID, and Spanish Immersion. There are many extra-curricular and co-curricular programs to choose from. My daughter has been involved with golf, swimming, and the drama program. School leadership is excellent and the staff is very caring. We could not be happier with a school for our child, and now our 7th grader is very excited to be a Wildcat!

Posted November 17, 2010

We've had both ends of the spectrum - 1 child that struggled academically and another who is an honors student. For both kids we feel like LN has been a very positive environment for them to learn and grow. Most of their teachers have been hard working, care a ton about the kids, willing to go well beyond the extra mile. We love the diversity and the wide range of activities available. There are many, many families who are actively involved in helping create a great environment. We're glad those parents are a part of our kids' lives. In my mind the biggest challenge is a small population of students who are disruptive and can at times sort of put a damper on the experience of the majority who want to be there and learn and enjoy a healthy high school experience. When we moved from our former home a few years ago we spent a great deal of time and effort to find a place that would keep our kids at LN. We're very glad we did!

Posted August 11, 2009

Lawrence North is a friendly enviroment to study in. There are many course options and students are challenged to learn. Most teachers care about teaching and help students learn. The GPA and Ranking System is rigged and improperly used so that students in average classes rank higher than students in honors or higher classes. Minorities are sometimes discriminated against.

Posted August 11, 2009

LNHS is a great school. Many teachers go out of their way to help students. They are friendly, and LN is a friendly learning environment. However LN's minorities are discriminated against at times. However efforts made by administrative staff are commendable. The class ranking system and GPA system is rigged (like most high schools). Students in less challenging classes are ranked higher thann those who are in extremely challenging classes and have excellent grades. At LN you go through many different experiences. It's like a piece of real life. There is inequality just like the real world however there are also the individuals that make LN a great school.

Posted July 10, 2009

i just graduated and i can say that it is a great school. sure there are fights, unfair teachers, rude students, etc but overall, my high school period was very good. i had challenging classes and met great friends... what can i say? i like LN :)

Posted January 11, 2009

LN is a pretty good school. Most of the teachers go out of their way & put in long hours before/after school to better serve their students. There are many opportunities for tutoring, clubs, community outreach, and athletics. The environment is supportive. LN's certainly not perfect--but no school is. And while some think 2800 students is too many, others think the size allows the large variety of services & activities. The student body is ethnically & economically diverse, the students have opportunities to explore their community & beyond, & the teachers care. All of these are reasons that I feel LN is a good school capable of providing GREAT experiences for kids. I would send my kids here.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 23, 2008

Several years ago when we looked at area high schools LN was a 5 Star school with much to offer its students. Now it is a haven for rude and abusive students. There are good kids that attend the school and the AP classes are great. The township needs to provide enough staff and give them more assistance so that they can properly teach our young adults.

Posted May 20, 2008

As I have gone on to higher education at Purdue, Indiana, and the University of Chicago, I can firmly say that LN does NOT prepare its students for life after school. The school suffers from serious disciplinary issues and is not conducive for those that have ambitions to learn. Indiana and the United States, in general, must address our failing school systems, and LN is a classic example. I lived in both the UK and France, and both provide a superior education (barring universities).

Posted February 9, 2008

LN is a great school if you are in advanced classes and make wise decisions. Fights and over crowding occur in all schools and LN should not be signaled out.

Posted January 15, 2008

Both my kids went to LN (07 and 05) and one is at DePauw University and the other at Ball State. Both had great experiences in a diverse high school. They have AP classes, classes for gifted/talents that give kids with high motivation and talent room to grow. LN created an environment for my kids to succeed and I think the 5 rating is not representative of what the school really offers.

Posted October 29, 2007

Uncaring administration, rude teachers, lack of discipline make up a sub-standard school

Posted October 23, 2007

I think any school is what you make it every school has bad and good teachers. I am impressed with the academics at LN. My daughters are in honors classes and they have been very rigourous. I also believe if you stay involved the teachers,adm,etc. Cannot ignore you or your child. So far so good at LN.

Posted February 11, 2006

I feel that Lawrence Twp Schools are great. We moved here from NW Indiana, and they are much better in LT. I do not understand how some of the other parents talk badly of Lawrence North. It does have extraordinary academic programs, and yes there are a few fights, but, fights are in every school. Lawrence Police don't just patrol the halls, their job is to work in the schools. LN has these police officers trained to work around kids in schools so they are better prepared. Many students enjoy LN, and extracurricular activities are also great. There are so many. For academics, the current junior class has 747 students, and the top 30 have a 4.0 GPA. That is great achievement for everyone. ISTEP scores in every school across the state of Indiana are low. Not Just LN or LC. LN is above state and national average in ISTEP scores.

Posted November 19, 2005

Many will agree that this school is based primarily on athletic training rather than academic standards. Lawrence North is a failing school where 1/3 of students did not pass ISTEP. The school environment is horrific. The building is not big enough to hold all 3,000 students. The hallways are so crowded that my child gets pushed around trying to get from one class to the other. We are planning to move my child to Mt. Vernon by the end of this semester.

Posted June 7, 2005

I agree with the assessment of the special needs students. We were lied to about the services. We felt that we were also separated because we were not as financially stable as some of the other parents. I had walked through the halls of Lawrence Twp Schools, it was scary. The kids were unattended and free to run, jump, and grope each other. My kids also told us about the fights that broke out on a daily basis. Lawrence Police patrolled the schools. The teachers that were too busy sending E-mails and playing on the computers to assist the students. We moved to Mt. Vernon. We are so grateful for that decision. We have the chance to move back to Lawrence Twp School District and save a ton of money. No thanks, I will stay in Mt. Vernon's district. Lawrence Twp needs to take note of all of this.

Posted February 19, 2005

I moved to the district after being told LN had a great Special Education program. Wish I could talk with the 4 teachers who left within the last 3 years. Somthing is not right, but I can't seem to put my finger on it. They say LN promotes parental involvement. Most parents with Special Needs children don't see it. Trust me, we talk to each other! It is not what's said, it's how it's said. They do not want us there. The Sp. Ed dept. is not open to 'thinking out of the box'. Our kids may be special BUT they are individuals with different needs. Stating 'we don't do that' or 'this is how we've always done it' is not acceptable! My child has much more potential if given the proper tools and opportunities. And to heck with extra-curriculum inclusion. It's a Joke!

Posted September 15, 2004

The school seems much more focused on students who can play sports or very high academic achievers. In my son & daughter's senior year, the homework was minimal, the grades fairly easy to get and most of the educational experience reduced to the lowest common denominator of the classroom. The last 3 weeks of school was spent watching movies. Classrooms are roudy or filled with irreverent students. I complained, but nothing changed. One physics teacher stands out as EXCEPTIONAL because he cared about the student offering his home phone to call for any questions after school.

Posted September 8, 2004

In 2003 Lawrence North Recieved the National Character award. That means that a group of Judges over an entire school year surveyed schools across the entire nation and Chose LN and the best character school in the Nation. State champioship track, cross country, basketball, wrestling, winter guard, as well as state placements in Marching band, choir, and several other organizations.

Posted August 20, 2004

My son graduated LN in 2003, and was able to take many AP and college level courses. He was a National Merit Scholarship Finalist, and now attends USC. He felt challenged in many of his courses, and had praise for many of his teachers. As for 'violence', well, he did have his unattended backpack stolen the first week of his senior year. There were fewer reported incidents there than in most schools - certainly fewer than in my own HS in Philadelphia in the 1960's! I sympathize with parents of 'special needs' students; my younger son has some needs that weren't met last year in middle school, and we plan to make sure they are addressed early in this school year. Overall, we were all pleased with LN.

Posted June 28, 2004

What can I say? This school has been just tremendous for my son. As his dad I have always been concerned about the schools he attends. I'm happy and proud to say that this school is by far the best I've seen. For safety I would give it a 5/5, my son has reported no incidents of violence, and from my own visits I have noted the enthusiaism of the students to learn! I'm highly confident that my son will thrive in this very academic environment.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 70% in 2013.

352 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 48% in 2013.

520 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 76% in 2013.

543 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the End-of-Course (ECA) assessment to test students in middle and high school in Algebra I, Biology I, and English 10. The ECA is a criterion-referenced assessment developed specifically for students completing their instruction in Algebra I, Biology I, or English 10. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "F".

Indiana uses the A through F School Grading System to assess the overall performance of a school. For the 2011-2012 school year, schools were graded based on performance and participation levels in state standardized tests and student growth using the Indiana Growth Model. In addition, high schools were graded on four-year (on-time) graduation rates and college and career readiness indicators including Advanced Placment exam results and industry certification exam results.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

District
State

SAT participation

Average SAT score

982

Graduation rate

85.6%

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISTEP and End of Course Assessment results.

2 This rating is based on composite SAT scores, SAT participation (% of graduates taking the SAT), and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12.

Starting College

How many graduates from this school ...

Enroll in college immediately after high school graduation1

Need remediation, or help strengthening basic skills2*

First year

How well prepared for college are these graduates?*

Average first year GPA (out of 4.0)2

Sticking with it

How many college-going students...*

Enroll in college for a second year3

State Average

1Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, National Student Clearinghouse, 2011-2012
2Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, 2011-2012
3Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, 2010-2011
* Of those that went to Indiana public postsecondary institutions

Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 48%N/A46%
Special education 13%N/A14%
English learners 7%N/A5%
Source: IN Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Fall Creek Valley Middle School
Percentage of students going to 2-year college 12% (2011)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 68% (2011)
Percentage of students going to the military 3% (2011)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 4% (2011)
Percentage of students going directly into the workforce 13% (2011)
Colleges most students attend after graduation Ball State University
Indiana University
Purdue University
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Visual impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Technology club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Advanced placement courses
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Acceleration

• 8:50 a.m.
School end time
  • 3:40 p.m.
  • Mr Brett Crousore
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Direct instruction
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track
  • Individually guided instruction
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Internships
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator

• Graphics
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Anime club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school
School colors
  • Red, Green
School mascot
  • Wildcats

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

Students typically come from these schools
Fall Creek Valley Middle School

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Ball State University
Indiana University
Purdue University
College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
Students' post-graduation plans in 2011

Heritage Christian School

Horizon Christian School

Fortune Academy
Indianapolis, IN

Choosing a school in Indianapolis?

Planning a visit?

Download the school visit checklist

Download