River Valley Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 871 students

Sweep tile

Posted November 1, 2013

I was very impressed with River Valley this morning! The school is very nice and open. The staff was so friendly and helpful. The band sounded amazing, such young talent. We enjoyed the Chorus team as well. I feel very thankful my Grandson attends such an awesome school, he is in the 6th grade so we look forward to spending more time at River Valley Middle!

Posted October 25, 2013

My school is a wonderful place where you see students learning everywhere in the building. Although we may not have the best language at this school, we have many other qualities that are four star worthy. We have magnificent overall grades and a friendly environment. I should know because I am a student there. We also have many sports and clubs that anyone can join. We have choir, art, gym, and many other special areas for students to attend throughout the day. I highly recommend that you send your student to RVMS. I love this school and hope to finish out the years to come with great standards. Go River Valley Raiders!

Posted July 10, 2013

I think if you have a child who is more of a leader than a follower and doesn't need a whole lot of one on one attention, then this school is okay. I have 2 children who have done well. My 3rd child has had issues. I have never been impressed with this school mainly because teacher communication is awful! So much has gone on that could have been avoided had I received a phone call or email. Bullying is rampant and not effectively handled. I think maybe the school is too big and the teachers are overwhelmed.

Posted October 13, 2012

I've seen some of the reviews on here in the past, and I have to disagree with the unfavorable ones. As a seventh-grader on the Flood team, and having previously been on the Varble/Navigator team, I've felt like I was challenged enough in advanced classes. The teachers care about what you have to say, and want you to learn, but will not hesitate to reprimand you if you step out of line. This is my second year here, and I'm enjoying it.

Posted March 7, 2011

I have my daughter at rvms and its a wonderful school atmosphere and the teachers are great

Posted March 4, 2011

Everyone makes false statements about Rvms I am a student there. Most of the teachers are great. They Truly love the students. There not just there for the money... Because they don't get paid enough to be there for the money. River Valley has a nice building better than half the buildings in Jcps or New Albany Schools. The Princible Mr. Denny, has great leadership. Since he has been there we have raised or testing scores tremendously. We have a great Admininstrative and Teaching Staff. If your trying to find a Middle School for your, I highly suggest this school.

Posted September 23, 2009

i really enjoy school it was fun the favorite teacher would have to be mrs. hurst

Posted February 1, 2009

I am a 6th grader at RV and I'm in AP classes.I think it is a wounderful school.The teachers create fun ways to learn that arent just challenging but rewarding also.

Posted December 1, 2008

no that is not true some kids like to pick on other kids that have needs,so some kids at that school aint all that good and the staff aint that good.

Posted November 30, 2008

Not always the best communication between teachers and parents. The few good teachers they have are outstanding if your child is lucky enough to get in that teachers class you will be satisfied with the school. the new principal is a improvement. so hopefully they are on a up swing

Posted March 22, 2006

My daughter is in the 7th grade at RV and has had a wondeful experience both years. She enjoys going to school and feels that it is preparing her for her future. The teachers at RV are caring and want to work with the students to help them reach their full potential. Many students do not come to school with the desire to learn and this creates problems for both the other students and the teachers, but this will occur in every school even private schools. River Valley offers the best academically, as well as extra-curricularly for all students. They have a wonderful music/theater program and an athletic program that includes a variety of sports to meet many different student abilities. I am more than happy that she is here. Parents are encouraged to be involved and I wish mored would take advantage of that opportunity. It would definitely help!

Posted January 9, 2006

My child is a 6th grader at this school and I think it is a wonderful school. I was one of the first students to go to this school when it was first built. The staff I have dealt with so far have been wonderful. They have showed much love and concern for my child and have bent over bckwards to help her. Anytime I have been there or called they have done all they cld to assist me. I always say you get out of a situation what you put into it. You put in negative, you get negative bck. You put in positive, you get popsitive bck. as a parent you have to be willing to help by any means possible. The teachers need our help as parents, and it is our responsibility to be there to help them.

Posted August 26, 2005

At RVMS The students run the school , there is a lack of disipline as well as a lack of intrest from most of the staff there ( not all ) But they do not have a Good Leader to follow. I hate to see children who want to learn being hassled by agressive children who are not the least bit interested in learning anything other than how to get away with whatever you can !

Posted November 5, 2004

When I first started, from what I heard this was a bad school. There are fights and the food (monday-wednesday at least, we get pizza hut and subway) isn't all that great, but it's not as bad as it sound. The teachers are nice and some are fun, the punishment is a little low though. They usually just throw people into In School Suspension most of the time. But there are plenty of dances and events, so once you grow used to it it's really simple.

Posted July 22, 2004

i came to this school thinking i was going to do good but it turned out that it wasnt that great of an experience...the teachers didn't seem to interested in teaching they just wanted to get their job done..it wasn't really the peer pressure that got me it was the teachers not explaining things and my peers and I trying to figure out how to do things. I loved the last days of school because we didn't do anything and it meant we didn't have to see our teachers anymore(no offense).my 2 years going to RVMS have been pretty bad so far except for my friends who have helped me make it better.RVMS isn't that great of a school, has good classes, but we don't get much focus from teahcers and the principal..the assistant principal was great and I wish she didn't have to go away!

Posted March 27, 2004

My experience with this school is that most of the teachers are either burnt out or have an 'I don't care' attitude towards the students and they think that most of the students are liars. My experience with my child in particular is that they loved school until he came to middle school, not because of the pressure from other students so much as it is the interaction he/she receives from the teachers. ' School should not be a place that children fear or suffer put downs from teachers, thus causing 'low self esteem' in these very critical times of development! It seems that there is a large disconnect between the teachers / adminstrators. When you call school no one seems to know whats going on, as long as they make the grade, why are you concerned?

Posted March 19, 2004

I really don't like this school because the majority of the teachers have an I Don't Care attitude toward the students. It seems like the teachers are burnt out from teaching and they want to retire early. I formaly go this school and I like the majority of the teachers and the principal. I like the assisant principal and about eight of the teachers there and that's it. I will be glad when I leave this school because it's terrible.

Posted February 23, 2004

Let me first say that this is a very difficult age group to teach and the teachers have my empathy. However, my experience with this school is that most of the teachers are either burnt out or have an 'I don't care' attitude towards the students and they think that most of the students are liars and are all guilty until proven innocent. I feel most of the faculty are overwhelmed with their responsibilities. My experience with my child in particular is that they loved school until they came to middle school, not because of the pressure from other students so much as it is the interaction he/she receives from the teachers.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

271 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

272 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

272 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress-Plus (ISTEP+) assessment to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, grades 4 and 6 in science, and in grades 5 and 7 in social studies. The ISTEP+ is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Indiana. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 74% in 2013.

274 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

276 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 69% in 2013.

275 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 76% in 2013.

263 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

266 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 70% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the End-of-Course (ECA) assessment to test students in middle and high school in Algebra I, Biology I, and English 10. The ECA is a criterion-referenced assessment developed specifically for students completing their instruction in Algebra I, Biology I, or English 10. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "D".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "D".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "C".

Indiana uses the A through F School Grading System to assess the overall performance of a school. For the 2011-2012 school year, schools were graded based on performance and participation levels in state standardized tests and student growth using the Indiana Growth Model. In addition, high schools were graded on four-year (on-time) graduation rates and college and career readiness indicators including Advanced Placment exam results and industry certification exam results.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Below average

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Below Average

Reading growth at this school

Below Average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISTEP and End of Course Assessment results.

2 This rating is based on 2011-12 and 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in Math and English Language Arts

Multiracial 9% 4%

Special education 17%N/A14%
English learners 8%N/A5%
Source: IN Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Robotics/Technology specialist(s)