Hattie B Stokes Elementary School 5

Posted October 04, 2013
I am so impressed with the quality of this school. Because of a huge life change last year, my daughter had to be in a few schools in a very short amount of time. None of them have had the amount of communication and family involvement that I've seen at HBS. The principal is great at getting on the child's level and really connecting with them. Their "extra" programs like music, art, pe, and computers are way above another, more highly rated school she attended in this county. Her first grade teacher (who is new this year, I've been told) has engaged my child in a where she loves math and is obsessed with reading, a subject where she had previously been struggling. The family nights, the food pantry, newsletters, breakfast in the classroom for the students... Just the outreach to the families in the community is a really positive thing to me, and I can say we are proud to be members of the HBS family!

Posted August 08, 2013
My daughters attend Stokes. Thankfully, this will be their last year. The school is a joke - the principal runs a completely chaotic school. I do not recommend this school.

Posted July 22, 2013
Hattie B. Stokes Elementary is a school that has the child's well being physically and academically in the forefront. This school was the first in the corporation to begin feeding every child breakfast every morning, no matter if you are free and reduced or not. Being a school with a high level of F/R lunches, the leadership there knew children were coming to school hungry and not ready to begin their day. Giving all kids breakfast was a great idea. The principal didn't stop there. She knew the families of Stokes had other burdens and began a food pantry for any family whose child attends Stokes. Academically students are receiving the best teaching strategies Lebanon has to offer. Title I assistance and an after school tutoring program are also ways for children to get extra help. Hattie B. Stokes is a school whose teachers, staff, and administration care deeply about their students and families.

Posted December 18, 2012
This school is horrible. My son attends 2nd grade and brings home D's and F's because his teacher doesn't care to do her job properly. I think its the norm for teachers to give up the responsibility to do their job to the parents because teachers are getting lazy. My husband and I work with him every night on math and we read together as well. He gets every part of it then brings home these horrible grades..I will do what I can to help my child at home but i refuse to follow him to school and do the job this teacher is being payed to do out of MY paycheck. A student's grade is greatly reflected by the teachers ability to incorporate enthusiasm and comprehension of the curriculum in the classroom. Beth Westerfield is the worst 2nd grade teacher I have come across at this school and I had been warned by other parents about her specifically prior. My son made 42 100% papers and the other 36 were B's or below, I can deal with that but what i cant deal with is the fact that she ONLY records the bad grades. Its sad that she does this to punish children who talk in class. She will leave notes on Skyward stating that your kid is failing the whole semester because of 1 tardy. I'm disgusted!

Posted March 24, 2011
This school has really gone down hill. They do not have the concern for the students and their well being anymore. They do not work closely with the ones that really need the help the most. They just push them aside as troubled children and it is a shame they do not try to help those students that need it the most. They do not have the concern for their safety and health while at school anymore with only having nursing staff 1/2 days too. Truly a shame for the future of the kids.

Hattie B Stokes Elementary School 2

Posted February 10, 2011
This school was a good school while the Achieve Academy was part of it, but has seriously gone downhill. Without the academy they retain older teachers that have seniority but have lost the enthusiasm for teaching. As my daugher says. "She's a good teacher mom, but she's had the life sucked out of her". They release the talented younger teachers who maintain their CE and enjoy teaching enough to make learning interesting and keep the ones who rely on worksheets and old ideas. The only way they challenge the students is to increase the amount of work and not the level or creativity of the work. In addition to that the bullying is getting really bad and the staff seems to look the other way. When you contact the adminstration they are not responsive. - looking for another school

Posted July 30, 2009
I drove my son 35 mi for 5 years to attend this schools Achieve Academy. Outstanding school, staff and leadership! Too bad they discontinued the Academy but still a great school which should have a higher rating in my humble opinion.

Hattie B Stokes Elementary School 0

Posted March 16, 2008
This school is great!!! This school does have a lot of low income kids ,which is why test scores are lower at stokes. This school will provide you child a quality education.

Posted November 26, 2007

Posted September 09, 2007

Hattie B Stokes Elementary School
1005 Hendricks Drive, Lebanon, IN  46052
Last modified Hattie B Stokes Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hattie B Stokes Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 12 reviews.