Posted November 17, 2014
I really wanted this to work out for my child. I was looking for a free private school quality education. Please don't even waste your child's time with this "Montessori" school. They make an effort, but this is not a true montessori school. A woman named Sue was in charge during our time there. She was impatient, harsh and rude. The staff changes frequently and your child will never have the same teacher for 3 years as is part of the plan in a Montessori school. I had a bad feeling when i walked in to this place and i didn't trust my instinct. Don't make the same mistake. I wasted a year of my child's educational life.

Posted October 31, 2014
Wow, I'm sad for the parent who commented October 30's experience at GMA. We have had only positive experiences there! I have three kiddos 1, 5 and 7th grade this year. It is our second year at the school. My kids thrive in the multi-year classrooms. Learning to handle the distractions of other kids who are "on task" in their own ways is part of the package. The teachers I have encountered manage the different-style learners pretty , and have engaged my kids directly (w feedback to me) in solving social and environmental challenges. I appreciate that approach, and think it is very 21st Century.

Posted October 30, 2014
We spent a horrible 9 weeks at GMA. My son (a 1st grader at the time) could only describe it as "chaotic". His teacher had only a cursory introduction to Montessori education and actually told me that her job was "not to teach or help, only to observe". It was a mess. They told me that my gifted, extremely outgoing child was "incapable of relating to people". He has always had tons of friends and is loved by kids and staff at Hoosier Academy, where he was before and after GMA. I honestly wouldn't recommend GMA to anyone.

Posted October 27, 2013
My school is the best because kids truly do come first!!!! The staff cares about every area of their lives.

Geist Montessori Academy 4

Posted August 22, 2013
This school offers a small close knit atmosphere. Students and staff work cohesively together in order to provide a quality education for all ability levels. Everyone is friendly and that makes learning and going to school here fun!

Posted August 22, 2013
GMA is built on Montessori principles that help children develop independance, confidence, and responsibility for their own education. They have a strong community feel where teachers, students, and families work together to do what is best for each child. Students at Geist Montessori Academy are treated as individuals, both academically and socially. Their educational path is created to fit their needs and to meet their personalized goals. Students and families come from all walks of life and their differences are embraced and celebrated for their uniquness. At GMA everyone is free to be themselves, and they can focus on get the best education possible.

Posted May 14, 2013
I really wanted my children to go to a Montessori School over public school. However, after the end of the year my child who has had two years of Montessori before entering kindergarten is way behind my friends children who are in public school and have not even had preschool! I believe in the teachings of Montessori but after this year I know there are huge variations in the teaching that vary and if it is not done right can really hinder our children. This attitude that any Montessori is better than public school is just for those that really have not witnessed what they are actually doing in public school. I went to watch in on my friends kindergarten class and it amazed me what the children were learning and they all appeared so happy. My child is never this happy coming home and I think it is because most of the day they are isolated and made to teach themselves. I want to point out before all the Montessori pit bulls come after me that I believe in Montessori but just because it says it on the building doesn't make it such. This is my opinion and my experience that I am entitled to.
2 people found this helpful

Geist Montessori Academy 4

Posted May 10, 2013
My oldest child is in kindergarten at GMA and so far I have been very happy with this school. The teacher and teacher's aide are terrific! I like the size of the school, the weekly newsletters, the class updates, and love the responsibility taught to the children in addition to academics. I have not had any bad experiences with GMA.

Posted March 24, 2013
RE- Last Post: How can anyone say anything negative about this school. It is wonderful now ( my children have attended GMA for two years now). There has been zero teacher turnover this year and enrollment has increased 20%. It is such a known desirerable school, that they even hold a lottery for new enrollment. I would say that the previous poster has problems everywhere they go, hence they shop for schools everytime there child has an issue. All I can say is; as an active involved parent, check it out for yourself. The South campus is awesome!

Posted March 10, 2013
This is literally the worst school any of my children have ever attended. I'm convinced the good reviews are rigged. I had my child in this school for 2 years, and in that time not only did her self esteem and confidence plummet, but her academics slowed to a halt. We have had great montessori experiences prior and since, but this school was not even good for a traditional public school. There is a huge turnover every year in both staff and students. The teachers typically have little to no experience in any type of teaching, and are very young and immature. They regularly ignore IEPs. They don't allow students to work at their own pace or level, which is a cornerstone of montessori. Complaints from parents are treated as nuisances rather than an opportunity to resolve problems, and I would even suggest that any issue makes your child s target for punishment. All the parents I knew coming in have since pulled their children out, and that includes us. My child has soared to wonderful new heights since leaving. I wouldn't recommend this school to my worst enemy.
3 people found this helpful

Geist Montessori Academy
13942 East 96th Street, McCordsville, IN  46055
Last modified Geist Montessori Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 1-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Geist Montessori Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top