Bad
Good

My daughter goes to this school and loves it! SHE IS ON 6TH GRADE BLUE TEAM. She loves her teachers and has many friends.Lisa Patrick, the principal, is amazing and very nice.

Absolutely Great Teachers are Good and has a strict policy about bullying ,my children loved their 5th&6th grade year here !

I have enjoyed the last school year and I am looking forward to a new year as my daughter will be in sixth grade. She was blessed to have many great teachers which made the school year awesome.

I think that this school is too much for some kids, meaning there are too many kids in a classrooms, the teachers have a lot to address. The social issues are bit much, the kids are continuously fighting and misbehaving. I feel that I did not do a good job in transferring my son to MIS, this atmosphere is not the best learning environment. If i had to do again, i Would not have moved to this school district. Simply not good for me and my family!!

Terrible year so far. Utter confusion. Lack of experience. My son has a sub for a months!

My daughter is in 5th grade at MIS...I feel the school has sooo much for its kids and really focuses on the kids. They have a great discpline policy and academic program.

My daughter began 5th grade in Fall of 2008 @ MIS. We heard more negative than positive things about the school which was sad since most of it seemed to rumor. I know there are problems with every school, however the teachers have been great, both in teaching and communicating, Mrs. Renner is readily available to listen to any issuses. Only issue I have with MIS is the lunch time and the chaos that goes with it. By the time everyone is served the last kids seem to only have 2-3 minutes to eat. When the students are unruly everyone suffers. Sad that these days many (not all) students feel some sense of entitlement and do whatever they please. Parents need to work with the faculty and accept that no one is perfect including their own child. Bottome line, MIS is a great school!

Child are expected to act as mindless robots on a daily basis and the school answer to normal behavior is detention, detention, detention. Please, as educated professionals, can't you find a more productive way of teaching and challenging our children than by dismissing them and making them feel as if they are insignificant and not worth the time.

Last modified Merrillville Intermediate School is a Public school that serves grades 5-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.