Posted August 22, 2013
My son has been going to this school fir 2yrs now I love their school system this is one of the best schools in my area I would not change my son school ever

Posted July 09, 2012
Seven of my eight grandchildren have attended or currently attend Fieler. I have had lunch with them on several occasions and have always been impressed with the behavior that is expected of the children. I like the seating assignments at lunch which encourage children to interact with those who are not their usual crowd. This practice exposes them to a wide variety of new friends they may have otherwise not had the opportunity to meet. Although it is generally hard to deter cliques from forming, the lunchroom seating curtails that behavior. I am also very impressed with the quiet zones set up throughout the school. Those zones teach the children to have respect for rules and teaches them to respect the areas of the school where peace and quiet are required. I am immensely impressed with Principal Patrick's leadership. Her students are some of the most well behaved children I have ever seen. Maybe that's why Fieler is the first elementary school in Indiana to become a model for the Positive Behavioral Interventions and Support program! Great job Mrs. Patrick and students!

Posted June 13, 2012
I've had 3 kids thrive at Fieler, all have gone on to be in the honors program at M. I. S. and Pierce Middle School. My two youngest currently attend Fieler and I have no doubt they too will go on to be just as successful. Every teacher that I have had the pleasure of interacting with genuinely cares about their students, they work tirelessly designing assignments that are challenging and confidence building for the kids. The Principal makes a point to know every student in her school, my kids have felt as close to her as they have to their teachers. Any concerns I've had throughout the years have been addressed immediately and appropriately. Above all I am impressed with the expectation that all students respect themselves as well as others, which seems to have curtailed bullying. I couldn't ask for a better environment for my kids. Everything my kids continue to accomplish can be traced back to the values that one or more of the teachers and principal at Fieler had instilled in them. Even the parents that selflessly volunteer, which I am ashamed to admit I am not one, have had a positive impact on my children. Every person at Fieler adds to the quality of the school.

Posted September 28, 2010
These ratings are so old and outdated. I have a 4th grader and a 2st grader at this school. I have been involved with the school since my son starting attending. The teachers, principal, an ALL of the support staff here are very caring and dedicated. I think that the education that my children are receiving here is outstanding since they are both solid A & B students. I have to say that I am disappointed in the lack of parental involvement. I am only one of a few who actually attend meetings and volunteer to help. If more parents would be involved, this school would be unstoppable!!!!

Henry P Fieler Elementary School 1

Posted July 17, 2009

Posted November 21, 2005
I am a third grade teacher at Fieler. Our curriculum is driven by state standards, and we try to help every child be successful. Our Geography Project is taken from the Social Studies standard 3.3.1. Students must make a map of North America, identifying countries, two major rivers, the Great Lakes, two mountain ranges, the United States, Indiana, and Merrillville. Students may use clay or paper, and points are given for including all of the above on the map. Perfection is not necessary, but reasonable effort is important. We do not give points for participation, or for maps of other countries. Both parents and students have been enthusiastic about this project. We feel this project allows students to be creative and that it also provides a good opportunity for hands-on learning.

Posted November 21, 2005
My child attended Fieler last year and he is now at Merrillville Intermediate School. I found the staff to be caring and the curriculum well-rounded. I felt parental involvement could have been better; PTO meetings were very poorly attended.

Henry P Fieler Elementary School 3

Posted November 16, 2005
My daughter is in third grade at Fieler. She is learning so many things this year, and I like that I am always informed about her progress. I also appreciate the extra help she receives if there is something she doesn't understand. Construction on the new building is hard to put up with sometimes, because everything looks messy, but I believe that the teachers are trying to make learning fun for the kids.

Henry P Fieler Elementary School 1

Posted July 20, 2005

Henry P Fieler Elementary School 3

Posted July 23, 2004
There is one particular assignment which stays strong in my mind for the 3rd graders this past year. The map of the united states. The grading for that assignment was beyond belief. Yes, instructions were given and the children worked very hard and long on that project and I just feel that if a 3rd grader handed in that project all should have been rewarded with a very good grade for handing it in. Instead perfection was expected and if it wasn't given you received a failing grade. I feel that wasn't fair at all to a 3rd grader. To hold your entire grade on one project. I hope in the future that a child can be given the satisfaction that he/she worked hard on a project and handed it in on time to suffice for a passing grade on their project, never mind that they didn't have exact measurements.

Contact Information

407 West 61st Avenue
Merrillville, IN 46410

School website

Henry P Fieler Elementary School
407 West 61st Avenue, Merrillville, IN  46410
Last modified Henry P Fieler Elementary School is a public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Henry P Fieler Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 12 reviews.