Merrillville High School 2

Posted June 07, 2014
I am a current student at Merrillville, which is very embarrassing for me. It might look like we are good on paper, but visit the school for one day and you won't think so. Most of the teachers and pretty much all of the principals are worried more about titles than they are us. The students are absolutely horrible. If you are worried about safety, DO NOT come here. Last year, my friends and I were walking down the hall and saw security take a gun out of a locker. A week later, they finally sent a letter home saying that it happened. Over all, faculty and students who go here are of very poor quality. NOTHING about my school is ANYTHING like it used to be.

Merrillville High School 5

Posted May 22, 2014
Merrillville High School offers a broad choice of educational opportunities and focuses on providing support for post-high school education. It is a school with great diversity and high achievement. The school has won many awards and the Principal was just selected the Indiana Principal of the Year by the Indiana Principals Association. The academics, arts and athletics are all top-notch.

Merrillville High School 5

Posted November 08, 2013
I just moved to crown point and I really like it here. I think some of the posts on here are really messed up. I see that one of the problems is that some of the parents aren't focused on what their child or children are doing . Just worried about other people's kids that aren't their concern. My child hasn't had any problems and really likes it there. The teachers call me and set up meetings with me if there is a concern. I have a special needs child . Maybe these other parents need to better communicate with the school and keep that communication open on both ends. That may end the battle you might think that you are in. There is a solution to this by communicating .

Merrillville High School 1

Posted November 07, 2013
This high school is horrible! I agree with the complaints about illegal students attending the school but not all are from Gary. My son has repeatedly told me about students who are proud the tell that they live in Illinois and come over here to go to school. The last two years the staff has stated that they are cash strapped but this year there are no complaints. But the amount of students has tripled. It takes my son an hour to get lunch, there is no structure although they claim they are strict and the staff is rude and a joke! My son has gone here since a freshman and I thank GOD this is his last year!!! The principals are useless and too hung up on titles and are just as useless as the staff at the school. The problem with all of the people who work at the school is that they have a job! Give those jobs to people actually want to work and will do good. Its a pure joke to only have kids re-register on the odd years, so a kid who lived in Merrillville last year and moved away is still in the system this year but no one checks this! Thats why its overcrowded. I went to Lew Wallace in the early 90"s and it was nothing like this. My son is embarrassed to go there!

Posted September 29, 2012
I moved here four years ago from Southern Indiana and have four children in Merrillville Schools. My wife and I have been very pleased with the school system and the opportunities for our kids. The teachers show that they care and challenge students to succeed. The school is also quite diverse, which is a huge plus. I am thankful my (white) kids will grow up in a diverse school and get a quality education. I also have one special needs child and have found the resources for my child to be excellent. Great counselors, great principals, great superintendent = great school.

Merrillville High School 1

Posted June 04, 2012
Honestly this school gave the the worst 4 years of my life. I should've transferred while I had the chance.

Merrillville High School 3

Posted October 30, 2011
I recently transferred my daughter from a surburban school to Merrillville High, this decision was not made impromptu. My daughter likes the school and the teachers except for 1 who teaches physics, and gives preferrential treatment to a small group of students; in additition did not even give common courtesy to call reschedule a parent/teacher meeting after I called off from work to accomodate her time slot. As a parent I noticed a problem early and attempted to transfer her to another class; however it was stated that it was too late. Since then no progress has been made. When a teacher fails to perform, steps should be taken whether it be pay lowered or probation.

Merrillville High School 2

Posted July 14, 2011
Back in the early 80s, this school was amongst the top school systems in NWI (along with Munster, Highland, Lake Central, and Crown Point)...now to even mention Merrillville in the same sentence as those other school systems will make you the laughing stock of the area! Merrillville seemed more interested in artificially growing their population (by allowing hundreds of illegal transfer students from Gary) as opposed to keeping up the standards and marketing for future long-term residents to invest in the town. Half of the people I grew up with (and their parents) have now relocated to Crown Point to much safer and quieter neighborhoods and with better schools. I am next to move. It is such a shame that my peers and I will have to recreate our awesome childhood for our children in Crown Point (a town that we used to hate and were our rivals)...but when Merrillville started allowing apartments and other sub-par building to overtake quality long-term single family housing, the downward spiral was inevitable. The only people who believe this now gang-ridden high school is still "good" are the folks that came here from places like Gary and ruined the school in the first place

Posted April 17, 2009

Posted January 09, 2009

Merrillville High School
276 East 68th Place, Merrillville, IN  46410
Last modified Merrillville High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Merrillville High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 28 reviews.