Bad
Good

Posted December 21, 2015
Merrillville High School is a very high achieving school. It celebrates diversity and real life. The kids get along great. People that talk poorly about the school are not well informed and probably have left the district only to find out that the grass is not greener. Involved Parent

Posted April 23, 2015
Diversity. Inclusion. Sense of Urgency. Respect. Do it. These are some of the words that I have used in conversations with others who ask me about my kids' school. The administration works within their means to bring a meaningful experience for the children of Merrillville. There are going to be haters. But it's only because they didn't get their way. Don't listen to that and support your local high school. Go Pirates!!!

Merrillville High School 2

Posted November 22, 2014
I am a former student of Merrillville High. I had many great teachers, some mediocre. The clubs were really nice too. The school is kind of what you make it, but I think the school needs alot more improving. The main building is very old and messy. The bathrooms are always out of soap, there's toilet paper all over the floors, Sometimes the bathrooms even smelled like smoke(from students that have smoked in there). The hallways are very dark and overcrowded which I did not like. Many of the students are very cliquey and kinda rude. It is a majority minority school, and they really make minorities look bad(me being one myself). Being in the main building is like being at a Gary school. My time in the freshman wing was nice though, it was brand new and great. But after that year, things got pretty bad. Like I said it's what you make of it yourself.

Merrillville High School 3

Posted August 18, 2014
I had GREAT teachers and a great counselor. With exception of just a few, they actually cared about me and showed me that they appreciated my hard work. I had such a great relationship with my teachers and counselor. They are what kept me from giving this review less than 3 stars haha. I also received quality education. HOWEVER in some classes, my classmates lacked discipline & interrupted my learning. With that being said, the majority of the students here are a mess. Speaking of mess, the school itself is rather raggedy. The freshman wing is the most recently updated& looks nice, but the rest of the school is in dire need of being remodeled. The lunch is not that great & neither are the lunch ladies. They can be VERY rude and so can the janitors.

Merrillville High School 2

Posted June 07, 2014
I am a current student at Merrillville, which is very embarrassing for me. It might look like we are good on paper, but visit the school for one day and you won't think so. Most of the teachers and pretty much all of the principals are worried more about titles than they are us. The students are absolutely horrible. If you are worried about safety, DO NOT come here. Last year, my friends and I were walking down the hall and saw security take a gun out of a locker. A week later, they finally sent a letter home saying that it happened. Over all, faculty and students who go here are of very poor quality. NOTHING about my school is ANYTHING like it used to be.

Posted May 22, 2014
Merrillville High School offers a broad choice of educational opportunities and focuses on providing support for post-high school education. It is a school with great diversity and high achievement. The school has won many awards and the Principal was just selected the Indiana Principal of the Year by the Indiana Principals Association. The academics, arts and athletics are all top-notch.

Posted November 08, 2013
I just moved to crown point and I really like it here. I think some of the posts on here are really messed up. I see that one of the problems is that some of the parents aren't focused on what their child or children are doing . Just worried about other people's kids that aren't their concern. My child hasn't had any problems and really likes it there. The teachers call me and set up meetings with me if there is a concern. I have a special needs child . Maybe these other parents need to better communicate with the school and keep that communication open on both ends. That may end the battle you might think that you are in. There is a solution to this by communicating .

Merrillville High School 1

Posted November 07, 2013
This high school is horrible! I agree with the complaints about illegal students attending the school but not all are from Gary. My son has repeatedly told me about students who are proud the tell that they live in Illinois and come over here to go to school. The last two years the staff has stated that they are cash strapped but this year there are no complaints. But the amount of students has tripled. It takes my son an hour to get lunch, there is no structure although they claim they are strict and the staff is rude and a joke! My son has gone here since a freshman and I thank GOD this is his last year!!! The principals are useless and too hung up on titles and are just as useless as the staff at the school. The problem with all of the people who work at the school is that they have a job! Give those jobs to people actually want to work and will do good. Its a pure joke to only have kids re-register on the odd years, so a kid who lived in Merrillville last year and moved away is still in the system this year but no one checks this! Thats why its overcrowded. I went to Lew Wallace in the early 90"s and it was nothing like this. My son is embarrassed to go there!

Merrillville High School 4

Posted September 29, 2012
I moved here four years ago from Southern Indiana and have four children in Merrillville Schools. My wife and I have been very pleased with the school system and the opportunities for our kids. The teachers show that they care and challenge students to succeed. The school is also quite diverse, which is a huge plus. I am thankful my (white) kids will grow up in a diverse school and get a quality education. I also have one special needs child and have found the resources for my child to be excellent. Great counselors, great principals, great superintendent = great school.

Merrillville High School 1

Posted June 04, 2012
Honestly this school gave the the worst 4 years of my life. I should've transferred while I had the chance.

Merrillville High School
276 East 68th Place, Merrillville, IN  46410
Last modified Merrillville High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.