Michigan City, IN

Lake Hills Elementary School 3

Posted March 23, 2015
I have substituted at this school a few times and I have to say the discipline is absolutely horrible. Students are rude and disrespectful, especially in second and fifth grades. One particular student in fifth grade even cursed out the principal. There is a great amount of bullying among the students and the teachers spend much of the day yelling at them. I'm also a parent and had thought of sending my five year old here for first grade, but after what I've seen, I'm changing my plans. The teachers do the best they can, but their hands are tied when it comes to discipline. The principal seems to dismiss many of the problems as "kids being kids" and having a poor home life. It's too bad that things have gotten so far out of hand.

Posted August 16, 2014
Our school takes challenges head on! We care about our students and their families, and we expect all students to meet high standards. We have dedicated teachers, support staff, volunteers, and families that strive to make our school a fabulous place to learn and grow.

Lake Hills Elementary School 3

Posted May 19, 2014
I have substituted at many schools in Michigan City and other areas. Unlike the non-magnet elementary schools, two of the elementary magnet schools (Pine and Lake Hills), lacked features that are necessities for every public school: efficient & effective administrative procedures for communication and student behavior. Also, these schools lack the organized Special Ed resources that I found at non-magnet schools. There were no noticeable behavioral plans for students with serious emotional difficulties. While carrying out sophisticated projects that met the school's specialty, many students with special needs were bouncing off the walls and it was unclear what referral procedures the administration expected. Magnet or not, the administration can't "reinvent the wheel" in terms of basic procedures for student needs. Are funds that should be used toward special-needs being channeled into the magnet specialty? I observed excellent dedication among Pine's teachers, who regularly have to meet ridiculous expectations in a disorganized environment. No teacher can meet all mandated expectations in most Title I environments. They have to learn the ropes and pick their battles.

Posted April 26, 2014
My school has amazing, dedicated teachers and staff. We are a STEM school, committed to moving are kids forward in this ever changing world.

Posted April 25, 2014
This is a top notch school. The teachers are wonderful, caring individuals. I have never met a more passionate group of educators. The students & parents of this school I have spoken to all say the same thing. This city is lucky to have this school and the folks that are a part of it.

Posted April 24, 2014
Lake Hills STEM Magnet school is an excellent school that reaches many children in our community. Our school has an integrate STEM curriculum. The students here at Lake Hills are learning 21st century skills that will help them succeed in the future. They are reading about specific science concepts, writing about science concepts and doing hands on activities that create real life connections to their academics. We not only offer students a meaningful academic experience during the day but our school also has Science clubs after school and lunch and learns for students during their lunch.

Posted March 13, 2013
We consider ourselves very Lucky to have our child attend Lake Hills. Being a S.T.E.M. school, I feel like it offers a different learning experience that enhances education development. The school also has the support of Lubeznik Center of the arts and Purdue University which offer after school programs to the students for FREE. As a parent I can say I Love Lake Hills Elementary for the opportunities they have given to our child.

Lake Hills Elementary School 4

Posted March 23, 2010
This is a great school. The staff is attentive and caring and the principal is very experienced and loves kids. My child loves the school!

Lake Hills Elementary School

Posted September 17, 2009
Mullen is a great school but is now known as Lakehills Elementary and the teachers work so hard at helping kids and talking time out to help when they are needed most

Lake Hills Elementary School 4

Posted October 25, 2008
Mullen's learning community consistently makes Annual Yearly Progress by meeting state ISTEP test score requirements. The teachers work together as grade level teams to insure individual student success and deliver the school system's recommended research-based curriculums.

Lake Hills Elementary School
201 Ferguson Road, Michigan City, IN  46360
Last modified Lake Hills Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lake Hills Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top