Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)

Posted October 13, 2015
Michigan City high school teachers go over and above preparing students for college. Highly recommend this diverse, interactive school system to prepare kids for the "real world".

Michigan City High School
Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted October 13, 2015
Teachers and administrators encourage students to find solutions and work out problems themselves, all the while overseeing and guiding the kids.

Posted August 26, 2015
Test scores are up. Graduation rates are at an all time high. They are a leader in dual credit in the region. Many graduates earn enough college credits to become sophomores at universities. It is a real gem that is more need to check out!

Posted May 02, 2014
I would like to report that presently I am a school board member of the Michigan City Area Schools, but I have worked in the schools in the past as a School Resource Officer and my oldest daughter graduated from Michigan City High School in 2011. As a parent I was highly pleased with the education that my daughter received and she is in college benefitting from the dual credits she received while attending MCHS. As a lifelong member of Michigan City I am impressed with the educational programs and the dedication of the staff to educate the children. As a school board member I am highly pleased with the leadership of Superintendent Dr. Barbara Eason Watkins and excited about the continued leadership of Principal Wendell McCollum at the Michigan City High School. The future holds nothing but great things for the Michigan City Area Schools and Michigan City High School.

Posted May 02, 2014
There are alot of great kids and teachers at MCHS! It's too bad it has such a bad rep. because these kids and teachers deserve better!

Posted May 01, 2014
I am so happy to see the leadership of Mr. McCollum and the staff of the High School emerging along with the leadership of Dr. Eason Watkins and her staff. It is awesome to see the number of AP and dual credit classes that our students are offered the past few years. It is definitely great to see the entire staff welcoming parents and looking for that parent interest in the child's education.

Posted May 01, 2014
I have been following the previous posts and feel I must add my 2 cents worth. Michigan City High School offers an excellent education for those students who want one...my daughter (who is an honors student) would not be going there otherwise. I am impressed at the high number of dual credit and AP classes offered. I get weekly updates/phone calls from the principal. I also get regular emails from the parent organization. They have a great sports program and tons of opportunities for non-athletes to get involved as well (there is a huge list of available clubs and other activities). I asked my daughter as well as some law enforcement officers I know about the claim of 2-3 arrests a day. My daughter states she never sees fights and the law enforcement officers I talked to laughed and said that though there is the occasional arrest it is doubtful that it even happens 2-3 times per month much less per day. I highly recommend students and parents alike get involved in their school and they will be pleasantly surprised.

Posted May 01, 2014
I am a teacher in the Science Departmen at MCHS. I have only been teaching a couple years, but this is the best school around! I was a student here and I am honored to be teaching the future generations of Michigan City. If I had the option to teach at another school, I would turn it down, because this place is filled with caring, intelligent teacher and staff and filled with inspiring students who want to learn and be the best people possible!! We offer so many amazing programs and classes for all kids. MCHS prepares all kids for greatness!! -Proud teacher at MCHS.

Posted May 01, 2014
My son is a freshman at the high school this year. I have been completely satisfied so far. The kids are given every opportunity to learn. Teachers always respond to emails within 24 hours and are willing to work with each child to be sure they succeed. The dual credit classes are a definite plus. An education is what you make of it and from what I see every opportunity is there for a student- they just have to work for it. Supportive staff and all the kids seem to love Officer Campbell. So glad he's there to keep our kids safe! McCollum is very approachable and involved- big changes have been made and it's for the better!

Posted April 02, 2014
I have two teenagers attending MCHS at this time. The Teachers and administration is doing everything possible to prepare these children for college. Attendance, Behavior, Good Study Habits. Offering so many dual credit classes, Wonderful sports programs and Coaches, after school tutoring by teachers and honor students to name a few positives. The school had an on staff nurse and an Open Door Medical team for any child to use that is ill or just needs to talk to a medical person regarding personal matters. We have a new principal that relates to the kids and actually attends sporting events, even out of town! I would suggest that the Sweep program for tardy students be relooked. I don't see how this is working. Kids go to sweep to avoid a test or if they just sleep to late in the am. At least one get out of sweep pass should be issued each grading period. I'd also like to see Drug Testing of the students and staff. Not just athletes, all students at random.

Michigan City High School
8466 Pahs Road, Michigan City, IN  46360
(219) 873-2044
Last modified Michigan City High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Michigan City High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 63 reviews. Top