Posted October 01, 2013
JYMS is making great strides in turning things around, and I think they are on the right track. As a community observer, I hear comments from parents and students that things are going well there: that the new principal is focusing on what's best for the students, that students have been told what to expect in terms of behavior, and that academics and behavior expectations are high.

John J Young Middle School 2

Posted February 02, 2013
I dont understand how this school gets away with not having bus transportation for their students, I have never heard of a school not providing transportation, this is crazy especially in a state where state taxes are paid. They are able to ride the public bus for a fee of 2.00 a day but what if someone can not afford to pay this, they say that the students can walk, ride bikes or skateboard but I know we live over two miles away from the school so this would be quite a walk every day especially when the temperature is very cold and snowing, not to mention I know if my son was to walk he would have to cross some very busy roads with alot of traffic then for Indiana to be so strict on attendance that if you miss 8 days the school year you get reported to truancy, this is crazy, Im trying to move out of this school district, I am surprised more people havent complained about this being that we do pay taxes for this!

Posted April 01, 2011
I went to JYMS. I loved this school. I felt very prepared for high school when I left here. I also felt that the teachers and principal are very caring. Yes, they may be a little strict when needed, but if that is what it takes to keep schools safe. I look forward to my son going there one day.

John J Young Middle School 2

Posted January 10, 2011
I feel sad for the children that have to go to John Young. It changed my child in a bad way.It was sad to me that teachers treat 11,12 and 13 year old like adults. Then they go to Mishawaka high school with no preparation into the real world. If your pass rate is low you might want to take a look at how your teaching.HHMMMMMM

Posted April 19, 2010

Posted October 03, 2009
The school has been very good to my son so far this year. He is loving school.

Posted September 16, 2009
John Young Middle School has their students best interest at heart. They had dedicated teachers and staff that supports their students with learning ,and living life to the fullest..

Posted October 05, 2008
i am very pleased with my daughters progress in her first year in middle school. I rate JYMS a 8.5

John J Young Middle School 4

Posted September 02, 2007

Posted July 06, 2007
As a fromer Student of Jhon Young middle school, I felt it was a very non traditional school. The school was divided into team hallways for each grade making it hard for one to know everyone in your grade level. The school offered programs that i felt was a waste of tax dollars at a middle school level. Such classes were (Industrial Technology) witch worked with Moduals such as (flight simulator-cnc lathe-robotics)-that was over any 7th-8th graders level. Also students were givin only a few weeks to complete these types of courses the school mandated you to take. Another thing JYMS is noted for is it's policy on disciplinary refferals witch are given to any student for any pity thing. The school needs to be more laid back on things, so it can be a fun and enjoyable experience for future students.

John J Young Middle School
1801 North Main Street, Mishawaka, IN  46545
Last modified John J Young Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John J Young Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews.