Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

My family moved here last year & I was hesitant because it was a small school. I am so happy with this school. The parent/teacher communication is great. My children love going here. When I go to the school the office staff are so welcoming & friendly. I want to send a special thanks to Mrs. Kratzer she is a wonderful teacher that goes above & beyond.

The school as a whole is the best!! Quality teacher and staff who care for our children!

Amount of homework: Agree

If you are doing other things a parent should do like practicing spelling words, have them read nightly and math fact practice, then the 1 page a night homework is great.

My son went to Monrovia last year for kindergarten.... Very disappointed with the school. They have a very high retention rate and after being told our son should be retained we chose to push him through to first grade. Instead of needing to retain so many children, especially at such a young age, maybe they should fix the problem which is clearly not coming from the students. They pay their teachers very low income so some of them are not the best. You get what you pay for I suppose. They aren't all bad by any means. I will say that already after getting my son's progress report for the first grading period for first grade it is very clear that Monrovia needs to figure some things out. He is no longer going there thankfully and is doing so good elsewhere! He is doing exceptionally well in school and there are no concerns for retention. There are no studies to prove that retention is beneficial. Monrovia has clusters where kids as young as 5-6 in kindergarten have three different teachers. One for reading, writing and math. Shuffled around all day.... This is way too much for a little one in mine as well as many other parents that send their kids there's opinions. Bottom line is Monrovia needs to realize they are the problem not all of these kids that they want to just hold back. I'd think long and hard before sending a child there.....

My daughter is in Kindergarten. These teachers do not keep you informed. When there are problems and you have a conference about it, they ask you what you are doing to diciplin them at home. They accuse children of stealing. And they don't bring issues to your attention until you start questioning them, then all of a sudden there are all of these problems that have been occuring. Things that parents should have been notified of when the problem started. Looking for a new school to send my child to next year. I'm just sorry that she's going to have to spend the next 2 months here. I'm ready to pull her out now.

AWFUL SCHOOL. Especially for kindergartners. Terrible teaching, terrible teachers and poor admin. I had to pull my son out after five weeks and find an entirely different school system. This school put my 5 y/o son in isolation for the latter half of the school day for "failure to comply". He is 5. I was horrified. They stated "we're following our handbook. It is in our handbook." His teacher is a wretched, unhappy, bitter young woman and it comes out in her teaching daily. Small town - admin and teachers are from the town and support each other regardless of right or wrong. Stay away.

The school can only be as good as its leadership and Monrovia Elementary lacks any leadership whatsoever. After the previous Principal left, lucky him, the district decided it was best to promote from within. The current Principal and Asst. Principal were both teachers at the school with no experience as administrators. They are both from the community and were hired through the "Good O Boy" system. The difference that I have seen from the previous to the current is lack of communication to the community, seems like there is no desire to get involved in the students daily activities, and only show interest if you are originally from the community. From what is going around, it seems that many of the teachers are looking for other teaching positions in other community and some are even fed up with what is happening that they are looking for new careers. The school doesn't do reg. classrooms instead they do clusters which every student has 3 different classes they go to throughout the day. They don't get the benefit of that relationship with their teacher cause they are constantly switching classes. If possible, choose a different school in the are like Eminence. Good Luck

My daughter is in the 4th grade this year and absolutely loves it! We were fortunate enough to request Ms. Lynch as her teacher and it couldn't have worked out better. She has challenged our daughter on a daily basis but in a way that makes learning fun. Ms. Lynch truly has a gift and it shows through my daughter. The only thing I would change would be that she be my daughter's teacher until she graduates. As for the school, the administrators and other teachers seem to leave a positive impression on the children at the school. The school is a safe environment that promotes learning in both conventional and unique ways. I would recommend this school to anyone and if your child is in the 4th grade, try to request Ms. Lynch.

I have two boys at the elementary school and my oldest has been going here for 5 years. I think the school is great, there are so many programs to join and the teachers are great. From the moment you walk in you are treated with respect. My boys love school. I have had some problems and I have addressed them to the teachers and they were handled right away. They communication is great between parents and teachers. The teachers are so nice they go above and beyond to make school fun and enjoyable for the kids. The principal and assistant principal are very hands on also. They are out to greet and get to know your children too, not just stuck behind a desk or to see when you are in trouble.

I cannot even begin to say enough positive things about this school. I have two children in the school and I cannot imagine them going to a better place. I firmly believe that any organizations' success starts at the top and it certainly does here. The elementary principal and assistant principal are second to none! They constantly strive to make the school a better place and have an OUTSTANDING rapport with students and staff! I have seen numerous times when they have taken a volatile situation and calmly ended it in a positive fashion. They are in tune with every aspect of the school and work tirelessly to make new initiatives successful. I would not hesitate to give the highest recommendation to anyone considering Monrovia Elementary.

Last modified Monrovia Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.