Morristown Jr-Sr High School

Public | 6-12 | 361 students

Sweep tile

Posted May 9, 2013

This school is WONDERFUL! I've been a life-long resident of Morristown. I graduated from MHS. My kids have graduated from MHS. Now my granddaughter and my two grandsons attend MHS. Historically, speaking, this school has been at it's best over the last 6 years than it has before then. I'm not sure why but around 6 years ago we got a new principal. And then some of the "old" veteran teachers retired. He hired excellent replacements. The new teachers are great! The school has excelled with upgrades in the guidance department and athletic department as well. I brag on our school to anyone that will listen. My Waldron friends would like to shut me up! LOL I tell them to just move over here!

Posted June 28, 2012

I love this school! The principal of this school is really on the ball and he cares about our kids! I've never had a principal so willing to work so hard or go the extra mile like this principal does. Several times he could have just done his job to the letter but because he cares so much he has helped my kids enjoy school more and he has worked hard to support the live arts beyond what he has accomplished for us academically. Before he came, our school was consistently rated in the bottom on standardized test scores. Not so now. Now we are rated among the top performing schools in east central Indiana. The teachers like and respect him and our students find him caring and approachable. How did we get so lucky and how can we keep him around for at least for a few more years until my kids graduate? Our school board members are smart enough to spot great talent when they see it. I hope they keep him and our band director around for a long, long time.

Posted September 30, 2011

The teachers are wonderful and the school has great basic education. However, I think the school counseling is myopic and doesn't stress the importance of the AP programs enough to get the students ready for college. Very limited extra-curricular activities are offered. The principal is insolent, arrogant, and patronizing to parents and their concerns.

Posted January 10, 2011

We would like to see Morristown Jr Sr High school continue to strive for academic excellence. As part of this we ask for transparency in achievement level testing especially as it relates to Core 40 requirements and proficiency as listed on the school website. In addition to this we would ask for an updated Guidance webpage with current school, college and career information available. The current guidance site has been "underconstruction" since 2009 and does not reflect " excellence in every endeavor" . Hats off for the pursuance of each instructor, student, principal and parent toward our goal of effective learning.

Posted May 11, 2010

I'm very pleased with this school. The staff and students are like family. It's a safe place for my kids to go to school and I know they are going to receive very good instruction from the teachers. My kids can join or belong to about anything they decide to be a member of and actively participate.

Posted May 10, 2010

Morristown High School needs to expand the AP program and have a more pro active guidance department with emphasis on 4 year universities and colleges less emphasis on Tech programs. I would like to see the school use an internet program like 'Blackboard' and have 100% of teachers make use of the program. Not having a list of tutors is unacceptable and should be rectified prior to next school year. Active participation in PSAT, SAT, ACT testing is a must and should be supported by the PTSA perhaps with a practice test session. All students should be encouraged to participate. Leadership needs to work toward surpassing current scores and producing students ready to work and achieve at post secondary institutions, We must be competitive with other schools so our students gain admission,

Posted May 5, 2010

I agree. This is a wonderful school. They have a strong math department and language arts department. People care about each other there the way family takes care of each other. Wonder kids! Wonderful staff! Wonderful town! Great place to raise kids! My daughter is not 'another brick in the wall.' She has made friends for life there.

Posted March 16, 2010

My kids have attended Morristown schools for many years. I graduated from MHS! We like it here. It is our second home. I always feel welcomed when I visit the school. I agree with the other parent comments. It is a good place to have you kids. We're happy. Some needed changes are being made that will only make the school better. Go YellowJackets!

Posted March 13, 2010

We moved to Morristown. I have a son enrolled in the high school. Best move we ever made! Now he is happy and successful. He has made new friends. Teachers are very good and caring. The principal and office staff are the best we have ever worked with. I tell my friends that they should move to Morristown too!

Posted March 10, 2010

Great Staff! Great Kids! ...and a supportive community. It is a very good place to raise your children. I have had nothing but good experiences with this school. The staff knows my kids and our family by name. Because of that, they know how to meet my children's needs.

Posted February 2, 2010

I think Morristown Junior/Senior High School is a great place to have my son and daughter. They truly care about my children and contact me when they feel that they are not performing up to their abilities. The teaching is first rate and the student behavior is very, very good for a public school. I'm please the school's curriculum and extra-curricular activities given it's size. The school scores very well on state tests compared with other schools and it is very competitive athletically. The community is very fortunate to have very good counselors and school administrators that go the extra mile for our kids. We feel that our kids are in very good hands when they go to school. Morristown is also a great little community to rear children. The school system must be one of the best kept secrets in Indiana. We are very pleased with the school.

Posted February 2, 2010

Great place for my kids education. The staff is wonderful from the top down. My kids are cared for and feel safe. The school has a 'family feel' to it. I'm very happy that we still have schools like Morristown in this day and age!

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress-Plus (ISTEP+) assessment to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, grades 4 and 6 in science, and in grades 5 and 7 in social studies. The ISTEP+ is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Indiana. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 74% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 69% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 76% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 70% in 2013.

34 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the End-of-Course (ECA) assessment to test students in middle and high school in Algebra I, Biology I, and English 10. The ECA is a criterion-referenced assessment developed specifically for students completing their instruction in Algebra I, Biology I, or English 10. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 48% in 2013.

29 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 76% in 2013.

40 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Below Average

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

SAT participation

Average SAT score

519

Graduation rate

88.7%

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISTEP and End of Course Assessment results.

2 This rating is based on 2011-12 and 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in Math and English Language Arts

3 This rating is based on composite SAT scores, SAT participation (% of graduates taking the SAT), and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12.

Starting College

How many graduates from this school ...

Enroll in college immediately after high school graduation1

Need remediation, or help strengthening basic skills2*

First year

How well prepared for college are these graduates?*

Average first year GPA (out of 4.0)2
2.6

Average number of units completed in first year2
Recommended load

Sticking with it

How many college-going students...*

Enroll in college for a second year3

State Average

1Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, National Student Clearinghouse, 2011-2012
2Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, 2011-2012
3Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, 2010-2011
* Of those that went to Indiana public postsecondary institutions

Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 34%N/A46%
Special education 15%N/A14%
English learners 0%N/A5%
Source: IN Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

Po Box 960