Posted May 06, 2014
If you are considering this "school," then do yourself a favor and look into who Maria Montessori was and exactly what she believed. Because this school has a way to out conservative Christians through an annual "lesson" in which your child talks about what they believe as to how the world was created. Once they know where you stand, your child will be bullied by teachers and/ students and any time you assert your values, you and your child will be punished in discreet ways. Don't expect help from the director or staff who deem any complaint as negativity and who enacted a "no-gossip" rule to keep parents from communicating with each other - not because they're reaching for a higher standard, trust me. Because when you do start asking around, you find many other folk with the same experience. You can also expect your child to be at the very least one grade level behind their peers when you finally move them to a real school. After too many years there, I am now aware of their agenda and it is a very different type of education, not the kind any right-loving family would want for their child. But you know, they do promise good things and the building is pretty. Be alert and be wise!

Posted May 06, 2014
First, do your homework on who Maria Montessori was and her true religious beliefs. This school outs conservative Christians using an annual exercise in which each child presents how they believe the world was created, then your child will be bullied by the teacher and/or other students. Requesting to opt out of any part of their curriculum will result in punishment. Any complaints are deemed negative and shut down by staff and director. Your child will be at least a grade level behind if you pull them to another school. My 6 year experience opened my eyes to their true agenda, which includes the LBGT agenda. Be wise, and move on.

Posted April 21, 2014
I am a student at Community Montessori, if you are a prospective family, please don't let the rude, and hateful parent comments on here change your mind, because you have made a great choice (: CMS is an amazing school, it has guided me to be the amazing person I am today. The main reason parents withdraw their children from this school is because their child's ISTEP test scores are low, at CMS we find the right balance between focus on test scores and true meaningful learning. Time after time it is being proven how misleading test scores can be. Standardized testing is not an adequate measuring tool for a child's developmental success. I have never been around more caring adults in my entire life, every staff member in this school makes it their personal mission to make the students feel safe, comfortable, and welcome in this school. I am a motivated, responsible, smart, creative, respectful, insightful individual and there is no doubt this school has helped shape who I am today. Barbara and Glenn Fondren are two of the most caring individuals I have ever met. They are such smart, and educated people. To the bad comments: Reevaluate yourself as a parent, I feel bad for your kids.

Posted January 28, 2014
This will be out last year at Community Montessori. My son attended this school from preschool and is now in the 6th grade. I began to have serious doubts about the school's academics when he was in the 4th grade but decided to hang in there based upon the representations that had been made to me by the director about how children progress at CM. Now, two years later, I realize that my son is behind his peers at other schools academically. My son has never received a negative report in any teacher conference. My husband and I have always been told that he is doing just fine with no concerns but when he completes grade level work at home (we bought him 6th grade work books to supplement his education at school), he struggles with basic concepts including the concept of hypothesis in science (my son informed me that "we don't really do much science in my studio"). I pride myself on being someone who is not easily taken advantage of but even I was sucked in. I send my child to school to learn the basics of what he must learn as defined by Indiana law and after 8 years at this school, I can see that it is not happening . Steer clear.

Posted December 13, 2013
Please do yourself and your child a favor and read the reviews for this school before you consider it. I wish I had. I was not turned off by the poor test scores, because I am a believer in alternative methods of education and do not think much of teaching to the test. I dismissed the stories I heard from former CM parents as well because I thought maybe they just didn't understand Montessori and how it works in the long run, and I do. However, the negative reviews on this site are true in my experience. I really have nothing to add, it has all been said on here before. I just encourage anyone considering this school to think long and hard about it and not get romanced by the tour and the hype. Once you are on the inside, it looks very different. I must add that there are some wonderful teachers there working very hard and doing the best they can, and they are not the problem.

Posted September 23, 2013
I graduated from here two years ago, after attending for seven years. I was so fortunate to have found this school, without it I doubt my life would be as successful as it is. This school is not for everyone, but I had a fantastic education that gave me a true love of learning. Montessori education is very different from the education normally received in public schools, so if your child is coming into the program in high school, and sometimes even middle school, it's likely too late for them to adjust to the Montessori method. This school has many issues, staffing issues, lack of security, inconsistency between classrooms, the director, but overall I was fantastically lucky to attend there and have the love and support that I did. It's not perfect, it underfunded and stressful to the employees, but it's miles above more common education. I have never met teachers that cared so much and worked so hard as I did there. Thank you Montessori, for such a great start.

Community Montessori 4

Posted July 29, 2013
Both of my chidren attend school here and while I don't think it is perfect, I do believe that it is the best option for my children right now. My son did not learn to read until he was in the 1st grade but he had no interest in reading and within two months of being around older kids reading, he was reading without any trouble and he loves to read and now, at 7, is reading chapter books. I spend a good amount of time at this school and have never in two years witnessed kids running up and down the halls or screaming or fighting. Both of my children, one in K and one in 1st last year, brought home work that showed they were learning math and reading and english and science. Having multiple parent teacher conferences throughout the year is great. It was in these conferences that we really saw all the hard work they were doing while at school. Overall I believe it to be a great environment for kids that want to learn and parents that want to be involved even if that involvement is only cleaning classrooms. What's wrong with cleaning classrooms? If your child isn't learning here it is because they lack motivation to want to learn and as a parent you're probably not involved.

Posted July 25, 2013
Our daughter went to CM for K & 1st grade. I would not recommend this school for a variety of reasons. By the end of 1st grade our daughter still couldn't read...at all! After talking to her extensively, her dad and I discovered she was having problems with reading. Instead of helping her with the problems she was having, the "teachers" told her she was lazy and to sit by herself and "figure it out." We also leaned that she was being bullied and, after bringing it up with the "teachers," were told there wasn't really anything they could do unless they personally saw it happening. What kind of a "teacher" actually believes that 6-year- old kids can teach themselves to read and thinks that bullying should be worked out by a little kid on her own? What kind of a school administration can stand behind this kind of attitude? Luckily, we took our little girl out of this environment before it was too late and are on the road to getting her caught up academically and trying to build her self-confidence back up! It is my opinion that young children should be taught at least the basics in a safe environment before being able to make the best "self-guided" decisions.

Posted July 14, 2013
I don't really understand all the negative reviews... I just went here for seventh grade and shall be returning for the eighth grade; perhaps I shall go to Community Montessori until the end of high school. This is one of the most wonderful educational experiences I've ever had.

Posted January 21, 2013
I would rate this as a one star school, in fact, this is not a school but more like a compound,with kids being rated and some degraded even, made to feel worthless and ashame of who they are, not what was told in the observation walk thru. I agree with another parents comment on here that the director is a "crazy lady". She runs the school, while her husband runs behind her. Sorry but that school is not ran the way a school should be.No requirements for teachers to actually teach, kids learn on their own? Not much help either from the teachers. The only discilpine is "if the do not like you", they do something to eventually get you out. I feel BSU should stop funding these people. I was told from a relative I was making a mistake putting my children there.They were right. I can teach them more @home than they learn there. NO home work,or work brought home to view what your child is working on. I wouldn't recomend this charter school to train a dog. This is for lazy non caring kids/parents not someone who wants a real edu. And they say they don't believe in punishing a child, yet that's NOT true to all kids, just those they like.B.F. pushes kids/parents its her way or the doorway.

Community Montessori
4102 Saint Joseph Road, New Albany, IN  47150
Last modified Community Montessori is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Community Montessori Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 52 reviews.