Bad
Good

Excellent school our kindergartener loves school..this was definitely not expected due to his Asbergers diagnosis..he had never been in a school atmosphere before discovery so we expected a difficult transition because of his attachment issues..not only does he love school but he has made amazing advancements in speech therapy, reading, and math. I highly recommend discovery charter school!

Things I love about Discovery: Family oriented-parents are encouraged to volunteer. Kindergarten teachers are amazing-my son learned to read and is now reading at 3rd grade level in 1st grade! They also make learning fun and genuinely love the kids! Emphasis on healthy eating and Environmental learning- teaching the kids to recycle, conserve, compost, serve only healthy, organic lunches, very consciencous of nut allergies. Great communication! It is done via email mostly-check it daily! Paperless is enviorentally better! Rated number one charter school in Indiana three years in a row I believe. EXCELLENT drama club-the school plays are very well done! THINGS I DISLIKE: Class room size has 23 children per class with no assistance. I feel my son has been overlooked at times. It's a long school day and my son complains regularly it's too long. The half day on Wednsday is nice but I think the kids would do better with a shorter day all week. No bus service even though it's a public school. Lots of promises made for the future building of the school but yet to see any changes after 3 years of being there. Overall I think it's a great school!

My child has be going to Discovery since it opened in 2010. Things I love about the school: the connection with nature, the outdoor classroom, the way in which academics are presented. Creativity is encouraged. The staff members are very caring, yet firm. The school is very organized with dispensing information to families. But the very, very best part is...all three of the kindergarten teachers are excellent and they make kindergarten fun!! They also help produce very smart and creative 5 & 6 year olds.

I love this school, my kids have been attending this school since it opened and we love it! Not only do they have a hands on approach, they have healthy foods, and yeah kids about composting during lunch. I could not say enough great things about this school! ;-)

I have been at Discovery for three years and I am greatly impressed by the families, teachers, staff and administration. Discovery continues to be one of the top schools in the state due to the dedication of the Discovery community. It is sad, however, that some parents think that because it is a school of choice, they do not have to follow the rules in place for their child's safety. The previous reviewer has not presented a true representation of the school. The volunteer policy, available on the website, is in place for the protection of all of the students. The $1 dress down days are used as a fundraiser to help lower the price of the yearly middle school trip to Washington D.C. There is an excellent volunteer art program in place that comes into the classroom twice a month. As far as the principal dressing as a clown? I have not seen that one. However, I have seen him dress as The Conductor, The Lorax, Waldo, a hot dog and freeze in a Fall Fest dunk tank. Discovery is an amazing school and I feel privileged to be a part of the community that has been created there.

I agree with the parents review about the ruling families of Discovery & how money orientated It is.The form asking what you could contribute was out of hand! The new principal also likes to ignore issues. I am very unimpressed with him and the lack of organization is rampant! If you are not checking your email hourly you'll miss a lot of info, a lot of emails come the same or next day or they completely fail to share important info at all. Example; Holiday party several people weren't allowed in due to lack of a back ground check but nothing was sent out letting parents know to check their status so they could attend the party. Also there is no art program in place. individual expression is frowned on even though the principal dresses like a clown. The dress code has become a big focus this year and they claim its so there is no problem with the rich and poor competing with fashion, yet they charge a dollar for dress down days? Which is a two fold problem 1. if you don't have a lot of $ then how can you pay? 2.what sort of message does charging a child to be themselves send? There are many things that needs improving and the schools communication skills is # 1 on that list.

Another Year... And our 7th grader... still LIKES going to school.( No not getting up.). but going in and coming out... he is smiling! His scores are very good. The teachers know HIM... he is not just a number. They are invested in his education.. It's an outstanding environment, with outstanding, staff, outstanding kids & families. A WOW SCHOOL.

We are in our third year at Discovery and love so many things about it - high academics, dedicated and creative teachers and especially a friendly atmosphere. The new leadership at the school is doing a lot to strengthen the unique aspects of the school's mission. Our kids are thriving and we are so excited about the future of the school! It keeps getting better every year!

The concept was great but the reality was just ok. We saw no place-based learning and very little outside environmental learning. The focus was on test scores, competition, and punishments/rewards...just like the other public schools in the area. At first, we thought the school needed more time. We also thought the new principal would be a positive change. After three years, we ve seen no steps taken to achieve the place-based, hands on, differentiated, environmental learning promised in their website.

I have 2 children at Discovery and they are both doing really well. My oldest has been at the school for 3 years and has had great teachers every year. Academically, he is challenged and also supported. My youngest is in Kindergarten and is also having a great year. We love the consideration for the environment and well as the outside learning. I've also had great experiences communicating with the school and teachers. Overall, we could not be more pleased. We're excited to see the growth of the school and look forward to more great experiences.

Last modified Discovery Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.