Posted November 22, 2013
As a 1st grade teacher (Miss Crowe, then) at Kolling School 50 years ago, a student (Richard Dubb) ran into our classroom during recess to tell me that Present Kennedy had been shot. He heard it on a student's transistor radio. I remember that moment well. I'm now Ruth Trenary and retired after teaching in NYC for 50 years.

Posted October 08, 2013
Amazing!! I love the staff and teachers at Kolling, they are hard working, very organized, and dedicated to our children and the community as a whole. The environment at Kolling is warm and I love that there is no tolerance for bulling or nonsense. Like anything else in this world Kolling isn't perfect, but you can be sure that they are constantly striving for perfection in everything they do. They do a wonderful job managing the resourced they have and depend a lot on parent involvement. As parents and as a community we have to try to support Kolling as much as we possibly can.

Kolling Elementary School 3

Posted August 10, 2010
Overall I think the school is mediocre, at best. Because of the extreme growing pains and budget cuts, the overall quality is lacking. Many of the specials that other schools have are not offered here; children take one field trip during the year; there are no "pull out" programs available for high ability students (rather they are purportedly given additional material at school). The website is woefully outdated, compared to today's standards and the office staff is not the friendliest, to say the least. The decision to take away parent-teacher conferences, without placing another format in place, is extremely short sighted. Although my daughter is doing well, unfortunately I am not impressed with the overall specials programs, activities or the student involvement.

Posted December 02, 2008

Posted May 28, 2008
I have had no problems with the staff of Kolling, I do like the parent participation and think that this is one of the major reasons that Kolling standards are so high. When the parents are involved in the learning experience all persons benifit greatly!

Posted March 14, 2008
The area is growing, but Kolling has maintained a very high standard of excellence. Our two older children attended the parochial school in town, and our youngest has attended Kolling from K-3 so far. We find the teachers at Kolling are uniformly excellent, and that more is available to a high-potential student in the Lake Central system than in the Catholic school. If your child is either gifted/talented or needs additional help, Kolling is by far the best choice in town. Our daughter likes the fact that she is able to get to know all of the kids in her grade level rather than being with the same group every year, too!

Posted August 16, 2007
I rhink that any school that has doubled in size will have growing pains - but - I think that they are still doing their best in regard to students. Excellent School!

Kolling Elementary School 3

Posted January 30, 2007
We built a new home in a subdivision that goes to Kolling. I was impressed by their I Step scores. However, the more I see, the more I do not like. There is no help for High Ability students. The school seems to be overburdened by their growth and quality is suffering. The apathy is not good. Instead of being proactive and seeking to grow in quality, the school seems totally obsessed with I Step scores, NOT concern for the students.

Posted January 26, 2007

Posted November 02, 2006
Kolling is a good school overall, but too large. Class sizes are moderate, but there are numerous classrooms for each grade. Our community is growing by leaps and bounds and the school is suffering. A new middle school is being built to try to alleviate the numbers, but it stands that each year my children have to make new friends in their new classrooms because the children are shuffled around so much.

Kolling Elementary School
8801 Wicker Avenue, Saint John, IN  46373
Last modified Kolling Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kolling Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews.