Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted October 07, 2015
This option only allows one selection. But I would thank a few teachers who you can tell are trying and who do care. I would thank the parent mom, who is also trying to give the kids a nice place they want to come back to. I would thank janitor Larry?, I think that's his name. You can tell he cares for the kids.

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted October 07, 2015
This depends on the individual teacher. There are some wonderful teachers at this school. However, they are also limited to what is allowed my the principal.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted October 07, 2015
NO, this is the mission statement though. Children will display what they see. Though the school attempts to show he public a very different side of itself, it is not developing these or any other positive traits in the students. The students read a rewritten script during character connection class. The leadership is fake and misleading the public.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted October 07, 2015
NO this school does not. The adults can not develop these qualities if they do not employ these qualities themselves.

Posted October 07, 2015
A change in administration and many of the teachers is needed at this school. The sad thing is, they tell themselves they are doing a great job and blame unruly students from bad home lives. The school structure is largely to blame for the mounding problems found at the school. Negative, Negative, Negative, it starts from the leadership.

Posted January 15, 2015
I would love the option to not give any stars. This school is terrible!! We moved here from an excellent school district (8 out of 10 stars on this website) where my child was a straight A student and now is struggling to stay on the honor roll. The teachers are rude and disrespect the students regularly. There is no discipline and for those that are actually trying to do well, they are dismissed when they ask for help. When the teacher is in the wrong, there is never an apology to the student and they do not care about these kids one single bit. As a teacher myself, I am so disgusted with the way this school is functioning and after this school year, my child WILL NOT return to the South Bend school district. I would much rather home school then to send my child to this school.

Marshall Intermediate Center 5

Posted May 31, 2012
To sum up my review in a few words, Marshall was amazing. The teachers were always pushing us to new limits; never settling for good enough. Before I went to Marshall, I was a C student. I struggled in school (academically and socially). When I went to Marshall for my 8th grade year, the teachers pushed me to be more. Soon, I found myslef learning at an amazingly rapid rate. Marshall not only excelled me through middle school. It more then prepared me for high school. I know go to Washington High school and I am a straight A student. Students and teachers often tell me how smart I am. I really do have Marshall to thank for that. Not only that, Marshall is such a small school, that I made so many friends. Everyone knew everyone. I am proud to be called a 2011 graduate of Marshall Intermediate Center.

Posted January 06, 2012
I've had several children in Marshall, from honor students to my special needs child. In all cases I would say that the school has failed my children. The teachers do not teach, but regurgitate. Homework and studying are not priorities. The administrators are uncaring and burned out. The principle is in over his head. Focus for discipline is placed in absolutely inane areas. One of my children has never had a disciplinary problem in his life, yet was suspended (ruining his perfect attendance with four days left in the school year) because the 10 year old child forgot to wear his belt six times over the course of an entire school year. Yet the same child is bullied in class and feels like the teachers won't help him and nothing is done about the students do bullying. Marshall is an example of the total failure of the South Bend Community School Corporation. Funding is mismanaged. Students don't have their own books for class, but must share books that cannot leave the classroom. AS to their special needs program, the staff if incompetent and the administrators are even more so. The school spends more time covering for inept teachers than improving their deficiencies.

Posted January 04, 2012
My son went from a magnet school in the district to Marshall & has suffered there ever since. The teachers & burned out, and it's like he's repeated 4th grade twice over (he's in 6th now). They do not give homework (don't want to do the work to grade it?), don't have them work on anything involving technology until 7th/8th grade (at the magnet school they started working on PowerPoint in kindergarten) - It's a crying shame. The discipline problems are horrible, and as a previous post noted, most teachers just send the child to in school suspension instead of dealing with the true problem. My child truly dislikes this school, and I'm doing everything I can to ensure that this is his LAST year in this school. A complete shame.

Marshall Intermediate Center 5

Posted August 28, 2008
I like the school because i am on the football team and we have 3 excellent coaches Coach Miller, Coach Mitchel,and Coach Thomas.We also have a great athletic director Mrs.Joyce.And a Excellent administrator Mr.Simms.Instead of just sending you home he talks to you first to see whats going on.So take it from a student who has learned alot and has grow up over the years and my teachers have taught me alot.I would rather go here than any where in the world-87 Hayden It's a great school to send your kids.

1433 Byron Drive, South Bend, IN  46614
Last modified Marshall Intermediate Center is a Public school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.