Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Develops character: Disagree

When you have a teacher bullying kids, this is definitely not effective at teaching kids honesty, integrity, and fairness.

Amount of homework: Disagree

This was the worst part the teachers would give rubric ready cut outs to the students.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

This school was the worst it made me miserable and facilitated a hierarchy of academic dishonesty.

Unhealthy relationship of teachers trying to be cool kids. Think 15 year old girl's being complemented on features not academics.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Some a very few teachers would defend academic honesty and student respect. However most wanted to be friends with the student body. I remember a math teacher who tried to improve grades and help students but was quickly chased out by the students crying. You'll be fine with most teachers if your not three things. Ethnic, shy, poor.

It's average. The staff is somewhat rude, some teachers are engaging and fun, others are boring and grade on work effort rather than their actual understanding. I also dislike the emphasis on athletics. I came from a middle school who had been to the science olympiad national tournament 25 years in a row. Here, the science o team places poorly at state, possibly because the it's the same boring coach who barley coaches at all. The football team, however, does extremely well, basically all the time. Don't get me wrong, athletics are important, but there should be some involvement in academic teams. I also requested to be in Lunch B but they said no. I guess that's really not their fault but socially in the high school I feel outcasted. All the students here are just numbers.

The offerings at this school are great. The staff is friendly and my daughter has had a great experience so far.

I am a former student of VHS. I graduated with honors and distinction. That being said, it is disgusting to me how much athletics reigns supreme at this school. In my day, teachers were hired according to what sport they would be coaching. The end result was that I had a number of teachers who were laughably awful at their jobs. The speech/debate team was constantly losing funding so that the school could provide more for the football team. I also dealt with a number of closed-minded and racist teachers. The oversight of employees here is awful. The administration at the school is horribly inept, rude, and inefficient. You really are treated like a number here, unless you are a star athlete or the child of a school administrator. When I moved to Valparaiso, the school guidance counselor told me that the honors classes at the high school would be "too hard" for me and refused to allow me to be in an advanced course. Thankfully, I was able to enroll in honors courses for the rest of the four years after convincing the administration that my grades were high enough. All in all, mediocre and miserable school.

After many years of dealing with the Valpo schools, I won t send another child to the high school. On August 6, 2013, I was withdrawing my child from this school. I relay to you a conversation I witnessed between an administrator and incoming family. The admin asked the incoming 9th grade girl if she thought she should be placed in regular classes, or honor s classes. The girl was unsure, so the administrator said, You will be taking Algebra this year. Will you ask for help in that class once or more than once a day? The girl stated that she would ask for help, as many times as she needed it, so the administrator replied, Well then you certainly don t fit in an honor s course! The admin continued, I swear many of the kids we have come into this school are only here because it is a free education and we are just stuck dealing with them. They just aren't able to keep up with our standards and I just don t know why they don t just get a GED! How well that woman s comments summed up the over-all attitude of educators in the Valparaiso Community Schools.

Last modified Valparaiso High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.