Valparaiso, IN
Students enrolled: 2,178

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted June 20, 2015
This was the worst part the teachers would give rubric ready cut outs to the students.

Develops grit: Disagree

Posted June 20, 2015
Its basicly a small town powder puff school the only ones who learn grit are those abused by the staff and other students.

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted June 20, 2015
It enables the richer of the student body to enjoy privilege while punishing those who are not.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted June 20, 2015
While they never bullied the handicap students they did pick on the poorer or unattractive or black students teachers did as well.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted June 20, 2015
This school was the worst it made me miserable and facilitated a hierarchy of academic dishonesty.

Valparaiso High School 1

Posted June 20, 2015
Unhealthy relationship of teachers trying to be cool kids. Think 15 year old girl's being complemented on features not academics.

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted June 20, 2015
Some a very few teachers would defend academic honesty and student respect. However most wanted to be friends with the student body. I remember a math teacher who tried to improve grades and help students but was quickly chased out by the students crying. You'll be fine with most teachers if your not three things. Ethnic, shy, poor.

Valparaiso High School 3

Posted August 24, 2014
It's average. The staff is somewhat rude, some teachers are engaging and fun, others are boring and grade on work effort rather than their actual understanding. I also dislike the emphasis on athletics. I came from a middle school who had been to the science olympiad national tournament 25 years in a row. Here, the science o team places poorly at state, possibly because the it's the same boring coach who barley coaches at all. The football team, however, does extremely well, basically all the time. Don't get me wrong, athletics are important, but there should be some involvement in academic teams. I also requested to be in Lunch B but they said no. I guess that's really not their fault but socially in the high school I feel outcasted. All the students here are just numbers.

Valparaiso High School 5

Posted July 19, 2014
The offerings at this school are great. The staff is friendly and my daughter has had a great experience so far.

Valparaiso High School 3

Posted January 29, 2014
I am a former student of VHS. I graduated with honors and distinction. That being said, it is disgusting to me how much athletics reigns supreme at this school. In my day, teachers were hired according to what sport they would be coaching. The end result was that I had a number of teachers who were laughably awful at their jobs. The speech/debate team was constantly losing funding so that the school could provide more for the football team. I also dealt with a number of closed-minded and racist teachers. The oversight of employees here is awful. The administration at the school is horribly inept, rude, and inefficient. You really are treated like a number here, unless you are a star athlete or the child of a school administrator. When I moved to Valparaiso, the school guidance counselor told me that the honors classes at the high school would be "too hard" for me and refused to allow me to be in an advanced course. Thankfully, I was able to enroll in honors courses for the rest of the four years after convincing the administration that my grades were high enough. All in all, mediocre and miserable school.

2727 Campbell Street, Valparaiso, IN  46385
Last modified Valparaiso High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Valparaiso High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top