Valparaiso High School 3

Posted January 29, 2014
I am a former student of VHS. I graduated with honors and distinction. That being said, it is disgusting to me how much athletics reigns supreme at this school. In my day, teachers were hired according to what sport they would be coaching. The end result was that I had a number of teachers who were laughably awful at their jobs. The speech/debate team was constantly losing funding so that the school could provide more for the football team. I also dealt with a number of closed-minded and racist teachers. The oversight of employees here is awful. The administration at the school is horribly inept, rude, and inefficient. You really are treated like a number here, unless you are a star athlete or the child of a school administrator. When I moved to Valparaiso, the school guidance counselor told me that the honors classes at the high school would be "too hard" for me and refused to allow me to be in an advanced course. Thankfully, I was able to enroll in honors courses for the rest of the four years after convincing the administration that my grades were high enough. All in all, mediocre and miserable school.

Posted August 10, 2013
After many years of dealing with the Valpo schools, I won t send another child to the high school. On August 6, 2013, I was withdrawing my child from this school. I relay to you a conversation I witnessed between an administrator and incoming family. The admin asked the incoming 9th grade girl if she thought she should be placed in regular classes, or honor s classes. The girl was unsure, so the administrator said, You will be taking Algebra this year. Will you ask for help in that class once or more than once a day? The girl stated that she would ask for help, as many times as she needed it, so the administrator replied, Well then you certainly don t fit in an honor s course! The admin continued, I swear many of the kids we have come into this school are only here because it is a free education and we are just stuck dealing with them. They just aren't able to keep up with our standards and I just don t know why they don t just get a GED! How well that woman s comments summed up the over-all attitude of educators in the Valparaiso Community Schools.

Posted August 10, 2013

Valparaiso High School 3

Posted November 21, 2011
I moved to Valpo about a year ago and VHS is a good school but it seems like the only way you will do good there is if you are very well educated, I'm surprised that I'm able to get good grades in my honors classes. I moved from a small school of 500 that didn't have a ton of money like Valpo does so most of the stuff that is standard education up here I've never even been introduced to, so if you're from somewhere other than Northwestern Indiana you or your child may struggle. And, strangely enough,there is a very large amount of people associated with drugs that attend it, which makes me uneasy as a student. I still haven't found where I fit into this school because everyone has their own group. I can't deny that Valp is a good school though, there are multiple AMAZING oppurtunities (such as MarineLab for those interested in Marine bio), and the teachers are incredible and try to help students reach their highest potential.

Posted December 12, 2010
I have two children in Valpo's schools district - and one currently at VHS. Consistant parental involvement from K-12 is one of the keys to a highly performing school - and Valpo has always excelled because of involved parents and the complete support of the community. The school is large enough where it's not overtly clique'y - there are enough activites in sports, academics & clubs where EVERY child should find a perfect fit. This is a school where excelling in academic & arts competitions is held in as high regard as the sports programs.

Posted January 13, 2010

Posted May 19, 2009

Valparaiso High School 0

Posted January 16, 2009
I would like to comment on the size of he student body. It is huge, too many kids go here. Valparaiso needs another sigh school, unless your child is Valedicyorian or the next Cubs pitcher, your child is just a number. They also have safety issues. Parents say they like it because they have nothing to compare it to. I have lived alot of places and this is by far just a middle of the road school. Also, the office staff is incredably rude! They think that they are working for the FBI!

Posted January 10, 2008
I'm excited to come to school every day. It's lots of fun. Valpo has supreme teachers.

Valparaiso High School 4

Posted November 30, 2007
The school is a good one. It has many dedicated teachers and good facilities. The student body comes from parents who scored well on standardized tests, so test scores alone do not indicate effectiveness. It is the improvement in test scores that indicates where progress has been made. The process for selecting sports teams and parent volunteers is somewhat political. Excellent music programs, good sports, good theatre, high academics, good principals, mediocre and political school board.

Contact Information

2727 North Campbell Street
Valparaiso, IN 46385

School website

Valparaiso High School
2727 North Campbell Street, Valparaiso, IN  46385
Last modified Valparaiso High School is a public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Valparaiso High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews.