Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

Their "natural helpers" program is just another way to help the poplar, already stable kids have another pat on the back. It really does not help the kids who actually need help. It's sickening to see Valpo continuing to applaud this ridiculous program that just makes the school more clique-y rather than turn these students into "natural helpers" who will help their peers.

Develops character: Disagree

Compassionate is not really a way I would describe Valpo teachers.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Good quality education, but teachers play favorites & this makes things difficult for the average student.

Amount of homework: Agree

Fair amount of homework, helped prepare me for college.

As a former student who attended college in another state, I can say the quality of education here is not bad. In comparison to other students I attended college with, I was definitely ahead of the curve in many ways. However, it was difficult to sometimes be in a classroom setting where favoritism played a huge role amongst some teachers who want to just "make friends" with the students or, even worse, certain groups of students. Staff should also really encourage and help students if they do chose to take honors courses. It should be looked upon as honorable if a student steps up and challenges themselves; I took a course where it seemed like they were just trying to weed me out instead of helping me excel. And like most places, politics play a huge role in sports. It may never change. If you have money to play for who the high school coaches want you to play for, or if your parents suck up to the coaches, you will get your way. I was overlooked by Valpo in my sport, but went on to get a scholarship anyways thanks to the opportunities provided to me by my club coaching.

Worst year of school in my education. Would be a 0 if possible. I attended here my freshman year and moved away, and I am glad I did! The lunches were disgusting, packaged food was the only decent thing to eat at school and a lot of my peers were pretty cliquey and rude. I am just glad I'm not listening to all the construction during class. Not only the students were bullying, but even teachers were insulting students for their learning pace! Only way to have friends here is to either be rich or attractive. Not only a disappointment to the students, but to the community!

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

Was bullied for my whole freshman year (not only by upperclassmen) but my freshmen peers! Very disappointing to see the staff let this slide by... Only way to get friends in this school is to be rich or attractive.

Develops character: Disagree

When you have a teacher bullying kids, this is definitely not effective at teaching kids honesty, integrity, and fairness.

Amount of homework: Disagree

This was the worst part the teachers would give rubric ready cut outs to the students.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

This school was the worst it made me miserable and facilitated a hierarchy of academic dishonesty.

Last modified Valparaiso High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.