Westville High School

Public | 7-12 | 428 students

Sweep tile

Posted August 19, 2012

Love this school. Wouldn't want my children to go anywhere else! The teachers are excellent who know all of the students and work to make each one do their best. I love the fact that my children can graduate high school with college credits and help them get a head start.

Posted October 6, 2011

Great school!!! All around great leadership!!!! Great parents and well organized. Great sports and parent involvement.

Posted April 8, 2010

i love going to westville the classes are smaller so it helps with a more one on one approach and there really isnt major clicks or groups it seems like everybody has the ability to be everybody elses friend but since it is such a small school, it seems like rumors fly around faster than the truth

Posted June 16, 2009

Westville School is all about what you make it and how you get involved. There are a lot of opportunities, but you can't wait for them to come to you. Most of the teachers are great, there are a select few that think they run the place because of the teachers union. But most of them care about the kids. Yes, Westville has had better Principals than who they currently have, but the parents need to stay involved and don't take no for an answer. But it is like that everywhere. Through all of the adversity, my child was a very sucessful student, as were many others in her class. Many of them went on to further their educations and will make a difference society, because they were given the attention in a small school and their parents participated with them.

Posted May 15, 2009

Westville school is a wonderful school. I have a son that is a senior and in all sports and a sophomore daughter who as well is in all sports. As for boys sports coming 1st, thats false in my eyes. My daughter is totally supported in every way by teachers, principal and athletic directer. The ones who dont agree are maybe the ones who don't ever do anything as far as school activities,and for the ones who are picked on, i know the staff act on any complaint that kids bring to them. Quit putting a great school down, if you don't like the school, don't come to sporting events or anything.

Posted March 18, 2009

Going to a Westville basketball game is like a scene from the movie 'Hoosiers'-small town values and all heart. Let's hope that the Indiana legislature keeps quality small town schools like Westville and the Porter County Schools going.

Posted January 14, 2009

Westville is a great school for being small. I don't know how the faculty is now but 5 years ago I enjoyed almost every moment of it. Being small it is hard to offer more classes, and it's not the school's fault.

Posted March 5, 2008

First of all Westville is a great school. The teachers and the rest of the staff are both caring and friendly. All of the people posting complaints about this school are complaining because their kids constantly break the rules and don't want to deal with the consequences. Great parents you are, I mean you can't even spell in the complaints you posted. When disciplinary actions need to be taken, they are done so in a professional matter. Teachers take the time to help us students with school work, and they help us deal with problems in other areas of our lives. I would never leave Westville without a fight. Granted, Westville could offer more classes, but we are a small school in a small town and are dealing great with what we have.

Posted January 30, 2008

I had 4 children graduate from westville,and 2grandchildern.I still have1 granddaughter there.I always spent lots of time there.The school is great!

Posted December 14, 2007

Westville school lacks alot in education and in authority. The kids run the school, the principal is a joke. Mr. Yates this year could not even guarantee my childs safety in the school, what kind of principal is that. Kids are teased on a daily basis and nothing is ever done with the students as far a discipline. They preach 0 tollerence but in fact westville schools are not 0 tollerence. It's who you are and how much money you have. They have alot of teenagers that have kids already and are having more, what do they actually teach these kids...Nothing...As you can tell i can't stand the school. Westville school is a big joke, i guess they have to get there money some how. A big fat 0 for Westville school!

Posted December 2, 2007

I have attended Westville since first grade. I used to love the school, but the overwhelming feeling of apathy I get from every official, from pincipal to guidance couselor, is distressing. It seems like no one cares anymore. WHS is a victim of racism and sexism and no on is bothering to do anything about it. All the money goes to basketball, and hardly any to any other sport. When kids are bullied, they're told to 'deal with it.' It's a very negative environment at times. The academia is a slipping, we are below state averages for every test score, for attendance, for graduation- it's ridiculous. WHS used to be a top school, but it certainly needs to clean up its act.

Posted July 19, 2007

Westville was a great school....I loved it with all my heart!! I made some of the best memories there...everyone was friends with everyone. When I went the students were pretty good with each other---- the kids that were involved with the school had no problems! I wouldnt trade those days for anything!!

Posted January 27, 2006

I am a grad of 1996. While I was attending I was teased all day every day. The school was still in one hall at the time and teachers did nothing to stop it. You can't tell me that they did not hear it. I think at the time they did not pay that much attention to the students and what was going on under their noses. In defence of the teachers, I did enjoy the one on one instruction. I would have like more class diversity. My husband went to a large school in a large city, he can't remember any of his teachers names but I on the can remember all of my teachers.

Posted June 8, 2005

I graduated from Westville in 2002 and am currently a senior at Purdue, West Lafayette. My days at Westville were wonderful! The teachers cared about me and treated me like an individual, something you won't find at larger schools. Westville, was a great school and though the courses it offered were not AP, it provided me the opportunity to go to PNC and because of that I can graduate in 4 years with a double major and honors. My accomplishment are a reflection of the faculty of WHS, who helped me to become what I am today. I say Westville isn't perfect but still, its a great place to learn!

Posted February 10, 2005

Westville's basketball team is unstoppable. I am a huge indiana high school basketball fan and i am riding the tigers to the class a state finals!!! go westville.

Posted February 3, 2005

I think Westville is a wonderful school. I give them 2 thumbs up. They have great teachers. I will never forget my 6th grade teacher Mr. Marshall. He has had so many other job opprotunitys, it's not even funny. He is also a highschool and middleschool basketball coach. Westville is wonderful!

Posted January 17, 2005

Currently a student at westville and I do agree that we need more classes and/or sports. I think football would be a good addition to westville. I do however feel that the class size is just right. I've been in Westville from K-10 so far. I plan to graduate here and the kids in my grade are all like family to me.

Posted January 10, 2005

Westville is a great school. The smaller class sizes give students more interaction with the teachers. However, being in college now I do think that Westville lacks class options. With a growing population in Westville, they need to add more classes, especially AP courses.

Posted December 20, 2004

I think that Westville is a good system. I moved my children, from Kankakee Valley High School and they are doing far more better up here than there. The teachers and the counselors are great people. I think children in smaller schools get better educations, than in bigger one. Way to go Westville you have this parents support.

Posted November 15, 2004

Currently a student at Westville and I give this school a big thumbs down. The only courses offered are ones that will get you your required credits and get you out. Many of the teachers don't even bother teaching.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 74% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 69% in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress-Plus (ISTEP+) assessment to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, grades 4 and 6 in science, and in grades 5 and 7 in social studies. The ISTEP+ is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Indiana. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 76% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 70% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the End-of-Course (ECA) assessment to test students in middle and high school in Algebra I, Biology I, and English 10. The ECA is a criterion-referenced assessment developed specifically for students completing their instruction in Algebra I, Biology I, or English 10. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 48% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 76% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "D".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "F".

Indiana uses the A through F School Grading System to assess the overall performance of a school. For the 2011-2012 school year, schools were graded based on performance and participation levels in state standardized tests and student growth using the Indiana Growth Model. In addition, high schools were graded on four-year (on-time) graduation rates and college and career readiness indicators including Advanced Placment exam results and industry certification exam results.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Below average

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Below Average

Reading growth at this school

Below Average

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

SAT participation

Average SAT score

956

Graduation rate

95.2%

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISTEP and End of Course Assessment results.

2 This rating is based on 2011-12 and 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in Math and English Language Arts

3 This rating is based on composite SAT scores, SAT participation (% of graduates taking the SAT), and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12.

Starting College

How many graduates from this school ...

Enroll in college immediately after high school graduation1

Need remediation, or help strengthening basic skills2*

First year

How well prepared for college are these graduates?*

Average first year GPA (out of 4.0)2

Sticking with it

How many college-going students...*

Enroll in college for a second year3

State Average

1Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, National Student Clearinghouse, 2011-2012
2Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, 2011-2012
3Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, 2010-2011
* Of those that went to Indiana public postsecondary institutions

Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 32%N/A46%
Special education 10%N/A14%
English learners 0%N/A5%
Source: IN Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

207 East Valparaiso Street