George Rogers Clark Md/High School

Public | 6-12 | 1500 students

Sweep tile

Posted December 10, 2012

Fantastic School. I cannot believe i was so worried to send my daughter here. I love the new renovations and "Coffee With The Principle" days.

Posted December 10, 2012

I am very pleased with this school. Excellent all around. It's the perfect size. And i love the courses it offers my children. Their drama club is great. Real talent.

Posted December 9, 2012

http://www.hammond.k12.in.us/clarkhs/ Great school. We're only progressing! Thanks to all the help from parents and the Robertsdale community. Check out our website, new and improved. We have been renovating recently many areas of the school. There has been a lot of progressing recently. This school deserves more credit then most give it.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 17, 2012

If you live in the Hammond highschool area, you can still send your children to Clark if you go to administration and your child has no infractions. Clark is a fantastic school. More parents should consider Clark for their children.

Posted November 12, 2012

Great school. Wouldn't send my kids anywhere else. We live in the Robertsdale area so they can walk to/attend Clark. This school deserves more credit then given to it. a. NO gangs. Those accusations are absurd. b. Great teachers! c. WONDERFUL extra curricular!

Posted November 5, 2012

George Rogers Clark has the best teacher quality then any other school in Hammond/Whiting. Your children actually come home with homework! (unlike most schools in the area). The staff quality is great. I rated this school Excellent, because the school deserves it.

Posted October 30, 2012

I am in all advanced/honors classes @ Clark:). It is a great school if you give it a chance. I love it here! I think the main problem are those students who live in Hammond who come to Clark. The Clark students living in Whiting/Robertsdale don't seem to be the problem, it's the Hammond kids. We have wonderful, high-quality teachers who help us to strive to do our best! I see that our ratings are low :'(... but the teachers and most of us students are trying to make up for all the slackers =D !!! So if you are thinking of sending your child to Clark, please make sure they do their work and don't bring us all down. -cheerleadingxox -junior2012 -Current student

Posted October 1, 2012

Honestly, this school is a good public school. I see that the tests scores are rated at a 2 currently, but it's a big school. If you have a good kid and make sure they get into honors classes, then they'll be fine. The school has turned around recently, for the better. I would recommend this school to other parents in my area. The administration is wonderful. They are working their bums off trying to keep the school in order. The teachers are great. If your child need extra help in a subject they will help them. The homework is existent however there isn't so much that your child doesn't have time to participate in the many extra-curricular GRC offers. I really just want to get the point across that this isn't a terrible school. Everyone says how bad it is. It truly isn't. I sent my daughter and son to BNI their freshman years and both wanted to switch to Clark. Both succeeded more academically at Clark. Both had more opportunities to join after school groups. At Clark, your child is not just another number, if you have a good child, they will succeed. Don't waste money on things you can get for free. :) thanks for the read!

Posted February 21, 2011

My son is a freshman at this school and we both love it, the bus picks him up so it dosent interfere with my schedule the teaches are great and its a very friendly invionment

Posted November 9, 2009

Clark high school is by far the best ther is! i am an attending student here and love it! If i had a chance to go to any school in hammon i would deffinatel stay here. There are no more fights here there are so many sports u can join! our soccer team is now bigger than our own football team that should mean something. We know even have a girls bowling and gold team! i love it here the teachers are so friendly!
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 3, 2009

Clark school has teachers and staff who really care about their students. Some of the teachers go above and beyond ' doing their job ', they give of themselves to the students on their own time, which is rare these days. Therefore the students can get involved in more activities than they normally would. They are willing to go the extra mile to help a student if needed. Over all Clark has great parent, teacher, student interaction. They offer a wide range of activities for the kids to be involved with which is a plus. Ms. Lisa Writt

Posted February 25, 2009

I graduated from that school and NO, it wasn't that good, but let's look at the public school options in the Hammond/Whiting area - Hammond High, Whiting High, Gavit, and Morton. Clark far outshines all of these other schools, which may not be saying much, but what can a family in the Region do without having to pay for private school?

Posted December 15, 2008

My son just started attending Clark this year. IF I HAD ENOUGH MONEY, I would NOT have sent him to Clark! I'm NOT even Catholic and IF I could, I would send him to St. Casimir's. I attended this school and HATED it! And from the few months he has been there, I have not had cooperation from teachers, which is NOT a surprise!

Posted October 14, 2008

i am a parent of 2 children at this school.and , so far this year my son just started there and he has no real complaints yet. my other child is in high school. and hates the school.. the fighting, gangs. i have tried to contact the counselors and no one gets back to me. the lockers dont work they are over crowded badly.. we are gong to move out of the hammond school system . soon.... my child went from a's and b's to d's and f's ever since she came to this school... she hates it and everyday is a fight to get her to school... thank you for listening.. i am a concerned parent....

Posted March 28, 2008

I'm a parent or George Rogers Clark MD/High School I'm very happy whith my kid teachers and Principal. I like to tanks to Mrs. T Moyers Math Teacher Tanks you.

Posted October 16, 2007

im a legal guardian of my sister who is now a freshman there im only 24 years old and feel that my future kids will never attend thatschool. lack of communication with parents. which i believe is the most important matter of running a good school.

Posted September 26, 2007

Do not Think of sending you child to this School! They are not organized and from what I see they're there just to get paid not because they care of your childs education. I actually had to remove my kids from there and move to the Suburbs in Illinois just so they can have a better education.

Posted September 27, 2006

i'm a 7th grade student in clark and i have to say this is the worst school ever.The school is over-crowded and they cant keep the students from getting into fights.
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 12, 2006

The administration does not! know how to handle SED children.

Posted February 11, 2006

My child has been here for about half a year, and went from an A,B student to a C,D troublemaker. Everytime we ask for a conference we meet with all the teachers not just the one we have questions for. Then when we ask one teacher a question the others start to answer the question for him/her. When we ask why there is no homework being sent home and call the teachers we get a progress report telling us how bad our child is doing. The homework they do send is word searches and crossword puzzles, which should be given when going on winter or spring break. We are in the process of moving just so our child has a better education, it's a shame that we have to leave the place where they grew up. Not all teachers are bad but all it takes is a non-caring few.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

207 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

207 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

208 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress-Plus (ISTEP+) assessment to test students in grades 3 through 8 in English language arts and math, grades 4 and 6 in science, and in grades 5 and 7 in social studies. The ISTEP+ is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Indiana. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 74% in 2013.

178 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

179 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 69% in 2013.

179 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English/Language Arts

The state average for English/Language Arts was 76% in 2013.

212 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

211 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 70% in 2013.

206 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the End-of-Course (ECA) assessment to test students in middle and high school in Algebra I, Biology I, and English 10. The ECA is a criterion-referenced assessment developed specifically for students completing their instruction in Algebra I, Biology I, or English 10. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 48% in 2013.

247 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 76% in 2013.

245 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Below average

Test score rating
Student growth rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

State

Math growth at this school

Below Average

Reading growth at this school

Below Average

College readiness rating 20133What's this?

SAT participation

Average SAT score

440

Graduation rate

79.6%

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISTEP and End of Course Assessment results.

2 This rating is based on 2011-12 and 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in Math and English Language Arts

3 This rating is based on composite SAT scores, SAT participation (% of graduates taking the SAT), and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12.

Starting College

How many graduates from this school ...

Enroll in college immediately after high school graduation1

Need remediation, or help strengthening basic skills2*

First year

How well prepared for college are these graduates?*

Average first year GPA (out of 4.0)2

Sticking with it

How many college-going students...*

Enroll in college for a second year3

State Average

1Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, National Student Clearinghouse, 2011-2012
2Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, 2011-2012
3Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, 2010-2011
* Of those that went to Indiana public postsecondary institutions

Special education 12%N/A14%
English learners 24%N/A5%
Source: IN Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Fax number
  • (219) 659-1599

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options