Zionsville Community High School

Public | 9-12 | 1814 students

Our school is best known as an outstanding academic institution.

Sweep tile

Posted May 30, 2013

As a student at Zionsville High School, I can tell you that some of the reviews posted on here are just plain ridiculous. I have not gone to Zionsville all my life, I went to a private school up until 8th grade. If you try to get involved in after school activities like sports or music, there really should be no problem at all making friends. I do agree that there are a lot of cliques and that might be hard for some people to adjust to, but there really is a place for everyone at this school and on the whole they are very welcoming. And, honestly, if you are not the one using drugs, the "drug problem" will not affect you AT ALL. It isn't a big enough problem that it consumes the entire school. It is a really good learning environment and I really encourage people to go there.

Posted April 25, 2013

This school is great. From personal experience people have treated me kindly, even though I just moved here. They welcomed me with open arms and I quickly made friends. I am hispanic and have not been teased once while staying here. Sure, there may be some drug problems, but doesn't every school have that? Before I moved here I told my friends about how I would go to ZCHS. They said, "Oh that's a prissy rich school. I heard people there are racist." And I'm proving that wrong. There isn't much diversity but that doesn't mean we're racist. People are hearing bad things about this school when really all the problems are at every other school. You can't prevent that no matter where you go. If you could choose what school to go to, I would recommend here.

Posted March 22, 2013

Academically, ZCHS offers just about everything your son or daughter needs to successfully prepare for college. I know that is the primary concern of most parents in the Zionsville community. I have to agree with other reviewers who state that the school is very cliquish. It has been very difficult for my now senior daughter to really feel part of any social group (we moved here her eighth grade year). She had even been part of a varsity team here at the school. One of the best highlights for her years in Zionsville has been the music programs. The Orchestra Director position has been made part time though, and this raises concerns about the administration's commitment to keeping the school's music programs strong in the coming years.

Posted October 24, 2012

True, Zionsville is very cliquish and not welcome to diversity. If your kid finds their talent in a sport or in a mainstream activity, they will get school support and be encouraged. If they are regular or talented in another way, your are on your own and don't plan on support. Even with exceptional academic test scores, you may not find support. I won't even go into the differences in supporting girls in academics here. If your student requires any academic support, they will be successful if they have the maturity and skills to advocate for themselves and where the parents mandate the legal requirements be met. If they actually have issues that make self-advocacy difficult, you'll probably work with a legal advocate or attorney to try to obtain your legally mandated services. And it will be hard to obtain your services. And yes there are drugs and drug dealing in the school. The hard part is it may not be the kids you suspect and most students have access to some discretionary funds you don't watch. If I had it to do again, I would not have my kids in this school.

Posted February 15, 2012

I can't believe that there are people accusing this wonderful school of being rude and intolerable. Yes, it has a drug problem, but I challenge you to find a similar school that doesn't. My experience at ZCHS has completely changed my life. I came out of a different district's middle school with a 2.9 GPA. During my following year, I received all A's and a 4.25 GPA. They really know what they are doing at this high school. I would recommend this school to anyone looking for an outstanding place to send your high schooler.

Posted November 11, 2011

As a parent, I have found this school cliquish and full of rich white kids with drug problems. There is little diversity, tolerance or acceptance of kids who did not grow up here. We moved here several years ago and have had nothing but trouble with the local kids, and very little support from the school system. My kids were bullied and had their belongings destroyed, stolen or damaged by the local kids on school property. Drug use is rampant.The town has an abundance of well-to-do conservative parents, unsupervised entitled kids with money and transportation, and a community insistent on keeping it that way. While the school system touts it's 5 star program, and certainly does encourage education... racism, drugs and intolerance seem to be the big issues here. I think you will find the reviews of this school divided into 2 camps. Those that lived here all there lives and had a great, accepting, experience...and those that moved here and are shocked by the way their children were treated.

Posted October 4, 2009

Zionsville is a wonderful school district to live in. Parents, students and administration plays pivotal role in our children's education!

Posted July 22, 2009

I am a recent graduate of Zionsville, and I feel that my high school experience was great. I just recently graduated from Indiana University and I feel that Zionsville put me a step ahead of all of my friends at school. They really prepared me for the rigors of a college workload. I highly recommend this high school to anyone. We used to say that 'Zionsville was the public school that made private schools look bad.'

Posted July 15, 2009

I graduated from ZCHS a couple years ago, and I must say, it really was an excellent school. There are a wide variety of classes, and the teachers are extremely knowledgable about their subjects. The administration maintains a great rapport with the students, although sometimes they kind of leave parents out of the loop. After leaving this school and going into college, I felt very prepared for my classes and never felt like I was struggling to keep up. While some people say there is a drug problem, I never felt pressured to take drugs, and neither did any of the people I was friends with. I never felt like it was a problem in the least.

Posted February 11, 2008

Communication with parents is terrible at the high school. Little differentiation in classroom instruction exists and 21st century skills are not promoted. The excellent communication of the previous principal has gone by the wayside with the existing principal.

Posted November 13, 2007

We moved our children from Indianapolis where they attended a very expensive, well-known private school until the 6th (& 5th) grades. They were behind in their academics, and it took them some time to catch up. My children had no idea how to study nor how to take tests or quizes. Now they are in high school and doing well even though it is extremely challenging. Anytime I've contacted a teacher, administrator or counselor, my phone call has been returned in a timely manner. Of course, I attend the back-to-school nights, teacher conferences and help with all the volunteer events I can manager. My husband and I along with our boys are totally pleased with our decision to move to Zionsville. Yes, the school does have its problem kids and drugs and alcohol. But from every parent I talk to in all the public and private surrounding schools, they do also.

Posted March 18, 2006

Our family also was treated rudely -- when we tried to arrange a shadowing visit for our son, who was a top student at a private middle school. Apparently they had eliminated that program the year before (although they did offer us a tour of the facilities), but there was no reason to treat us with impatience when we inquired. Our son decided to attend a private high school, where we were treated with warmth and respect even though we aren't wealthy. There is stiff competition among private and public schools for outstanding students these days, and the private schools are putting a lot of creativity and money into recruiting them. Unless this school begins treating families more graciously, it is going to continue to lose these top students to other institutions.

Posted February 19, 2006

I graduated from Zionsville a few years ago. Many of the students used drugs, but it wasn t a high pressure environment. There were no gangs, stealing, or any of the usual problems that surround the drug use. I would rate this school as a very friendly learning environment with motivated teachers, especially in the state of Indiana with its mediocre educational standard. If I had to say one thing that the school could improve on is its lack of diversity. I was one of the only minority students, and I did get some racist remarks. But that s something many of them will learn in college where majority of them will end up.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 15, 2005

I was surprised by the glowing reports of the parents who reviewed this school previously. My experience was significantly different. ZHS definitely has a drug problem, although I wouldn't say it is pervasive. I guess no school is immune. But my frustration was in the denial of the administration that problems exist. As a parent, the level of response you get from administration is directly proportional to your level of status in the community. The office staff is difficult to deal with, and often quite rude to both students and parents. It seems a very clique based community and school. They cater to the upper 10% and have little resources or interest in the remainder of the students. I hate to write such a negative review, but after reading the others, I feel it important to add my unfortunate experience.

Posted October 27, 2004

Wow! this is such a great school! they have great teachers who are willing to help with everything! the students seem to be very kind and accepting to new students! they have top istep scores in indiana! they constantly strive to do better! the crime rate in zionsville is very low and drugs arn't even an issue! this school really blows webo and lebanon out of the water! they can't even begin to compare! the community is very nice and clean! it is a great place for kids to grow up! the high school also prepares you very well for collage! its perfect! you must see for yourself! the community grows daily and news houses are being put everywhere but if you more a country person there are more spread out spaces about 10 minutes from the school! i definatly give zionsville 2 thumbs up! what a great place!!

Posted August 30, 2004

great learning environment. Good kids who (along with the parents) understand importance of education. Only concern is the high property tax and the growth of the area.

Grade level

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 70% in 2013.

277 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 48% in 2013.

425 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English

The state average for English was 76% in 2013.

448 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % passing

In 2012-2013 Indiana used the End-of-Course (ECA) assessment to test students in middle and high school in Algebra I, Biology I, and English 10. The ECA is a criterion-referenced assessment developed specifically for students completing their instruction in Algebra I, Biology I, or English 10. The goal is for all students to score at the passing level on the test.

Source: Indiana Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

District
State

SAT participation

Average SAT score

578

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 ISTEP and End of Course Assessment results.

2 This rating is based on composite SAT scores, SAT participation (% of graduates taking the SAT), and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12.

Starting College

How many graduates from this school ...

Enroll in college immediately after high school graduation1

Need remediation, or help strengthening basic skills2*

First year

How well prepared for college are these graduates?*

Average first year GPA (out of 4.0)2

Sticking with it

How many college-going students...*

Enroll in college for a second year3

State Average

1Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, National Student Clearinghouse, 2011-2012
2Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, 2011-2012
3Source: Indiana Commission for Higher Education, Indiana Dept. of Education, 2010-2011
* Of those that went to Indiana public postsecondary institutions

Students participating in free or reduced-price lunch program 6%N/A46%
Special education 12%N/A14%
English learners 1%N/A5%
Source: IN Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Zionsville Middle School
Zionsville West Middle School
Percentage of students going to 2-year college 6% (2012)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 88% (2012)
Percentage of students going to the military 1% (2012)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 2% (2012)
Percentage of students going directly into the workforce 2% (2012)
Colleges most students attend after graduation Indiana University
Purdue University
Butler
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
French
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Newsweek Top 1000 U.S. High Schools (2012)
  • College Board AP Honor Roll (2012)
  • Indiana "4-Star" School (2012)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Leukemia & Lymphoma Society - Top Contributor (2012)
  • Relay for Life - First IN H.S. Relay (2012)

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language impairments
  • Visual impairments
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Science club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Swimming pool

• 8:10 am
School end time
  • 3:20 pm
  • Mr Tim East
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Direct instruction
  • Hybrid
  • STEM
  • Standards-based
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Media arts
  • Graphics
  • Technical design and production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Anime club
  • Art club
  • Book/reading club
  • Community service
  • DECA
  • Drama club
  • Drill team
  • Drum line
  • Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
  • Flag girls

• Dress code
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor