Ankeny, IA
Students enrolled: 1,684

Ankeny High School 3

Posted April 08, 2013
I'm actually a former student, but apparently those who had to deal with principals and parent influence on a daily basis aren't qualified to comment on them. Plenty of programs for everyone, facilities are good, and certain departments (bio, spanish, chemistry, physics) have excellent teachers. However, other departments (english, history, math) have fairly terrible teachers. For the middle 2/3 of the students at AHS, the program functions like a conveyor belt, moving students from one end of their careers to the other without having done anything. The lower end of each class is largely ignored, and little effort is made to actually make them better; instead, they'll graduate without having met the requirements. For the top level of each class, special favors and opportunities will be offered, which is pretty nice. However, if you are a part of that group and don't fit leadership's mold, they will make every effort to discourage you from being a part of that group. The aforementioned mold: white; politically correct; lived in Iowa (pref. Ankeny) whole life; involved in football, basketball, or cheer. If you fail to meet more than one of those, prepare to be discriminated against!

Ankeny High School 1

Posted February 17, 2011
District needs to get a grip on attitude, politics and social status. Mindset of the best district has gone way overboard here. The students of social status, athletics and money have a free pass to not follow the rules, bully other students and basically get away with everything. While the students of less means are picked on continually. High school administration is too busy to make a safer and comfortable environment for learning. Way overcrowded and cater to the social status of parents and students. We have been here for 5 years and have come from other districts outside the state. I have been highly involved in volunteering at school and association with teachers and principals through entire student career of my children and am truly appalled. The High school principal has been the worse with ALL my interactions with her. With overcrowding, attitudes of administration and the way my children feel uncomfortable on a daily basis we are leaving the district. Kids need to feel safe, comfortable and looked upon with dignity and respect as an individual. How are they to better learn otherwise?

Ankeny High School 1

Posted April 05, 2010
the ankeny school district I feel is a very crowded school district and I don't like it. The people there are rude and act like they are better than everyone else.

Posted September 24, 2009
Great opportunities at this school! I've had one child graduate from Ankeny High School and have 2 that are currently seniors. They have all had wonderful experiences - with academics and athletics. As a parent of 3 going to college at basically the same time, the partnership with Des Moines Area Community College has been super! They will have earned at least 78 credits between the 3 of them for NO COST to us! I think that is awesome!!

Ankeny High School 0

Posted September 22, 2009
We have one of the best High Schools around. We are rated in the top 10 in the nation.

Posted August 20, 2009

Posted June 01, 2008
Great school. Size is getting out of hand but they just need to add on and not build two high schools. This would ruin athletics at Ankeny, and all the great things that are going on at the school. Being a former student I know that all the things there are going well and don't fix something that isn't broken. But they definitely needs to add on, no big deal.

Ankeny High School 4

Posted March 08, 2008
It's okay...it's REALLY crowded. But the extra curriculars are awesome and the teachers are really nice. We are pretty much the best at everything, and I've really enjoyed my time here. There are some drug and pregnancy problems, but you get that everywhere. Overall, this school is pretty good. The teachers are great for advanced learning, and they cater to the studen't needs. We are very good at pretty much all the sports and activities, and we win everything. A great school. The only drawback is the Portables, age, and the crowds. They are building another school, so look into that if you can.

Ankeny High School 4

Posted September 04, 2007
Ankeny is a great district! Teachers are great and above the norm. They will go out of their way to help students in their personal lives as well as their academic success. The only thing lacking is the lack of quality of the building.

Posted April 29, 2007
as a current student at ankeny I can say first hand that it is an above average school. there are many advanced courses to choose from that can earn you college credit at most if not all the Iowa colleges. there are also many dual credit classes with DMACC which is very close to the school. our athletic teams are also very good and have won many titles through the years. our drama department is also above average and has been invited to go Scotland in recent years. I really have no complaints about the school except for the size. there are currently over 500 students in my graduating class and the halls can be a bit crowed. however I think that all the teachers here do their best to get to know their students and size is not a huge issue

Ankeny High School
1302 North Ankeny Blvd, Ankeny, IA  50023
Last modified Ankeny High School is a Public school that serves grades 10-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ankeny High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top