Burlington, IA
Students enrolled: 1,135

Posted October 08, 2013
BHS has pre-engineering classes known as Project Lead the Way. My son is able to take classes and earn college credit. The teacher who teaches Principles of Engineering is perhaps the finest teacher in the nation!

Posted February 11, 2013
BHS has great teachers where students are prepared for college. Students are able to take advanced AP classes. Students with disabilities also receive the support and help needed. Students have many choices of clubs and even classes that other smaller districts would not offer. Many students come to BHS from the smaller districts for the specialized classes like Pro Start and PLTW

Posted January 06, 2012
So many great teachers who really care and go out of their way to help you!

Posted March 12, 2009
Too many fights and drama. I dont have the right learning environment.

Posted November 23, 2008
As a former parent of a student that went to that school, I would say I dislike it a lot. The teachers and the students are not the problem it is the administration. I have known many faculty members that have quit working their because of the administration. West Burlington will not even accept students from burlington, because of all the BHS students that were trying to transfer. My kids senior year almost 100 students in his class either transferred or dropped out, now ovbiously this should tell you something. I think that Burlington Community High school has treats their students more like prisoners than students.

Burlington Community High School 3

Posted September 30, 2008
I am pleased to see the parent portal that you have instituded so we as parents can keep a daily watch on our childrens grades, homework, lunches and events. However I do see a bad review coming due to all the fighting that has been happening with regularity. Would be interested in knowing what is being done to ease this seemingly every day occurence.

Posted July 09, 2008
I am a current BHS student and I do not enjoy it. The teachers (Aside from a select few) will not hesitate to single you out. The students are also very socially bigoted. Some of the teachers just don't seem to understand and hesitate to give help when its needed. And the students who are respectful toward the staff are treated wrongly due to appearance, beliefs, or even social status. I can't wait to get out.

Burlington Community High School

Posted September 18, 2007
I went to BHS during 1999-2003 I loved the school it was a school where you fit in the teachers were awesome especially my favorite teacher Mrs. Lens she was without a doubt the reason I stayed in school and I wouldn't change a thing about the school or the teachers.

Burlington Community High School 4

Posted July 11, 2005
This is a great school for extracurricular activities. There is a club or sport for any kind of person and their interests. The academic quality is good, but the homework load is a little on the heavy side, as well as the amount of tests given. The downside to the school is the lack of parent involvement and the safety. The officials do try, Mr. Turner does great and there is a police officer on duty at all times, but still a few fights manage to happen throughout the year, but what school doesn't have a few fights? Even with these two things in mind, I think BHS is an excellant school to have a child graduate from.

Burlington Community High School 2

Posted September 06, 2004
BHS has a bad habit of pushing too much work on students and then turning their back on them when they need help. Hard to access teachers. No follow up on student programs. All of the sports programs involve politics, there is more athletic talent walking the halls than there are on the field or courts. Kids are let down and dont try out for sports because of the politics, but its like that everywhere,isnt it?

Burlington Community High School
421 Terrace Dr, Burlington, IA  52601
Last modified Burlington Community High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Burlington Community High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top