Cedar Falls High School

Public | 10-12

Posted March 20, 2012

We moved here from a small town full service high school. Peers groups are better, teacher quality is roughly the same and administration and support are rigid, unfriendly, uncoordinated and difficult. If you need any accommodations, plan for a battle and hope for the best.

Posted December 21, 2011

We moved here from Texas and had no idea where to enroll my son in 11th grade-so happy we ended up in this school district-he loves this school!!!

Posted March 31, 2011

This is a great school. My son will be graduating this year and his counselors have been VERY helpful with college scholarships and filling out applications. It is because of his great education in the Cedar Falls School District (which has earned him good grades and a great ACT score) that he will be going to college and will not have to take out any loans. The school calls me if I forget to call when he is going to miss school. I can check online at any time and see what his grades are and if he is handing in assignments. I can not say enough good things about the schools in Cedar Falls!

Posted March 3, 2010

I'm a former student of CFHS. I loved going there. The teachers were amazing, sports team coaches were great to work with and there were plenty of extra curricular activities to be involved in.

Posted October 20, 2009

I'm a student and a Junior at CFHS. I hated the middle school of Holmes, but going to CF made me actually like school. It's so nice there. They don't hound you to do things where as it's just so relaxed that you can concentrate, do well, and not feel pressured at the same time. I love it there :)

Posted April 15, 2009

I can not say enough about CF. The entire staff at this school go above and beyond, they are professional yet I feel like it is a relaxed learning enviroment with staff that seems very happy to be there. Keep up the fabulous work!

Posted May 22, 2008

I have been going to Cedar Falls High for about 2 semesters now, and I find it to be a pretty nice school. The classes were a little hard to catch up on, but all around I am doing well now. This school has a wide variety of classes and extra activities that I can explore until I graduate. I recommend this school to kids who want to go to college, and live in the Cedar Falls District. Go Tigers!

Posted February 19, 2006

My wife and I were fortuneate to have both our daughters graduate from Cedar Falls High School. This school has a well-rounded program with strong offerings in the core areas which include AP courses and Dual Credit courses that allow students to either test out of college work or gain credits at the college level while in high school. Successful athletic and activity programs are recognized around the state. My daughters were involved in athletics, but I would not have hesitated should they have chosen music, speech, or theater. Cedar Falls staff and administration work to challenge students to be the best they can be. School to work programs were available for students wishing to get on the job training their senior year. Programs included Trades &Industries/Health Occupations, DECA, Business Professionals and Foods Coop. I have been impressed by the support the community has provided for Cedar Falls High School
—Submitted by an administrator

Posted August 20, 2005

Through the work-release program I got my foot in the door of my chosen profession and had a leg up on my associates as I gained more experience. I am grateful to this school for instilling a love of learning, of reading of doing the best I can. The extra things in choirs and poetry classes gave me a chance to shine and discover part of who I am. I have been able to develop talents I may not have had an opportunity to. I feel I am much happier person and more rounded and able to care for my family and encouraged them where I wasn't previously. I know the value of a great education I was very lucky to have one.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted September 18, 2004

We brought our two children from a top rated Illinois school to the Cedar Falls school. They were both very challenged to 'catch' up. One has since graduated and we feel he was much more prepared for college by attending Cedar Falls. Our daughter is still enrolled and finding it a busy place between academics and all the other activities.

Posted September 11, 2003

I went to Cedar Falls High School and just adored every year there. I would suggest it to any family trying to find a well-rounded and strong academic school. I was involved in so many extracurricular activities and received a wonderful education. I am now an education major at Iowa State and I am doing a school profile of the school I would like to work at, and I have chosen Cedar Falls. I would definitely love to work there someday and hopefully fulfill and instill in my students, the strong ongoing tradition the high school has provided for the Cedar Falls Community, for so many years.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

313 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2013

Reading

The state average for Reading was 82% in 2013.

313 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2013

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Iowa used the Iowa Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in reading and math. The scores reflect the performance of students enrolled for the full academic year. The Iowa Assessments are standards-based tests, which measure specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Iowa. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the tests.

Source: Iowa Department of Education

Economically disadvantaged76%
Students with disabilities41%
English language learnersn/a
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Iowa Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Iowa Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 17%N/A39%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1015 Division St