Cedar Rapids, IA
Before care: Yes

Trinity Lutheran School 4

Posted July 13, 2014
Think about the type of person who feels the need to post negative things that are harmful to the mission of a place like Trinity. It amazes me that a current parent would post here instead of working things out with the staff. Plus they do it anonymously because they don't want their name associated with their comments. They obviously have an inability or unwillingness to constructively communicate and solve problems. I have found that every school seems to have chronic complainers who are never happy. Anyone can choose to leave their school at any time, but it is very discouraging that some people feel the need to hurt the school's reputation on their way out. Trinity's mission is to know Christ and to make Christ known through education. They have very dedicated teachers who work hard towards that mission. It is one of the most parent-friendly schools that I have ever seen. There are plenty of opportunities for parents to volunteer, interact with teachers and other parents, and generally be around the school building. I would encourage anyone to consider sending their children to Trinity. Please don't let some anonymous negativity keep you from checking it out!

Posted June 17, 2014
Trinity is not worth the money. We looked online at everything they say that they do and offer and it is not accurate. Their online handbook says they have a TAG (talented and gifted program). Not true. It says they have fine arts opportunities. Also not true. They offer band, choir, and an art class...all things that are in the public and private schools in Cedar Rapids. Yet sports are HIGHLIGHTED at this school and the parents whose children attend this school are rabid sports fans. If you don't fit in with this group of people, be prepared. It's like middle school all over again. The kids are cliquey, but the parents are worse. There is rampant bullying that goes on at the school and, even though there is a bullying policy, it is not enforced. There is NOTHING for kids who aren't sports minded....no paper or yearbook or orchestra, or any small groups for that matter. There is a fine arts festival but that is done by another school and there are invited to attend. Lack of leadership and, when there is leadership, it is not good.

Posted June 17, 2014
The curriculum is poor. There is no leadership. There is nobody to hold leadership accountable. We are still parents of Trinity kids and, honestly, I can say these things because they are true. I have seen to many of our friends leave who were good people and who had once been actively involved but they were dismissed as crazy because they actually questioned some of the above. Our children are not allowed to play sports are TLS anymore because we have seen what it has done to them (they don't know how to lose graciously) and they treated their non sports friends differently. We have been at Trinity through preschool and have witnessed a steady decline. We are not in the "in" crowd, even though my spouse is one of the most active volunteers they have. We have not been made to feel welcome. Financial aid is promised and then, depending on if they like you or not, tends to disappear more and more each year. There seems to be a lot of bending the rules for certain parents/families as well. I don't know if we will make it through this year.

Posted April 16, 2014
A very cliquey school with not much to offer. I was a student at Trinity for 10 years. I didn't play any sports and was left out of a lot of stuff because of this. The teachers favor those who play sports (especially the 8th grade teacher). I am currently in high school and I stayed at Trinity until 8th grade, because of this, I hardly know anyone and it has made getting used to high school that much harder. Trinity cannot offer as much as public school (including high school classes available for 8th graders). I would never recommend Trinity to anyone. Save the tuition money you would spend here and put it towards college for your child.

Posted March 17, 2014
We chose Trinity for our daughter because we wanted something close to home, good curriculum, and that would provide a good Christian based education. All are very important to my wife and I. Another benefit is protection from the common core garbage that is now coming down the pipe. I was very happy to see activities for the parents as well as the kids to get staff involved with parents. You would be hard pressed to find another school with this benefit.

Posted September 30, 2013
When our first child started school, there was no debate or thought as to where we would send him. Trinity Lutheran School was the only school we ever planned to send our children. We now have all three of our children enrolled and consider the Trinity staff, parents and children an extension of our family. The staff and parents are warm, welcoming, enthusiastic and dedicated to the education of all God's children. With an outstanding curriculum and amazing extra-curricular activites, keeping Christ at the center of it all, there is only one question that comes to mind....Why wouldn't we send our children to Trinity Lutheran School?

Trinity Lutheran School 4

Posted September 24, 2013
Our family chose Trinity Lutheran School, not because it is perfect, but because it provided good academics and helped to build our kids faith in God. Two of our three children have gone onto high school in the area and done exceptionally well. The accountability, challenging course work, and support of teachers at Trinity is one of the key reasons they have done well. I would recommend Trinity for anyone who is seeking a Christ-centered, academically rich environment, that helps your student become an independent thinker. Many extracurriculars are a bonus: Lego League, band/choir, art, and sports. Thank you Trinity!

Posted July 30, 2013
Trinity Lutheran School has been a wonderful choice in education for our children. I will begin with what our family holds most important--and that is reinforcement and growth in our Christian faith. Not only do our children learn about God's love for them, but they experience that love from the teachers and staff. They are encouraged to think of and help others (both locally and globally), and are taught the Word of God. Academically, our children are excelling at Trinity. Our children are still in the elementary grades, and I feel they are receiving a top-notch education including utilization of technology (computers/Ipads, etc), fine arts, and promotion of the basics of reading, writing, spelling, math, and science. We appreciate the smaller class sizes as well as the feeling of "family" that we receive there. There are several dynamic new teachers and a new principal that have brought much enthusiasm to the school. I cannot speak to the availability of services for special needs students, but I would encourage you to ask about it if you have questions or concerns. We've found Trinity to be very communicative with parents. I would highly recommend TLS to any family!

Trinity Lutheran School 2

Posted July 20, 2013
It has been several years since my kids have gone to Trinity. However even then, a few of the lower grade teachers should have retired. The public education has much more to offer for any student. They never test to see if you child is ahead or behind to other peers outside the school. They only compare their students up against each other. Most kids who stay through 8th grade, will have a VERY hard time high school, they will not know as much as kids that have been in larger environments. I would not recommend Trinity to anyone.

Trinity Lutheran School 3

Posted June 18, 2013
Trinity is very cliquey. If your child is not one who plays sports, there is nothing for them. These people live and breathe basketball. The majority of the basketball games are out of town, and out of state which makes for an incredibly expensive school sport. Teachers in the lower grades need to retire. No accountability. The public schools are passing them as far as how their children are prepared for other grades. Kids with needs can not get the help they need at the school as they can't afford to hire someone for this position. There is no trust or communication between the teachers and staff. Disruptive students are allowed to stay at the expense of the other student's learning and the teacher's frustration because asking them to leave is considered "unchristian." What is more unchristian is having families pay through the nose while their child is not learning because of this behavior. Communication in general is lacking. Openings and Wednesday chapels are boring and poorly done. More favor is given to incoming families than families who have been there for years. No pastoral leadership or support. Check out Isaac Newton instead...great support, atmosphere, and school.

Trinity Lutheran School
1361 7th Ave SW, Cedar Rapids, IA  52404
Last modified Trinity Lutheran School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Trinity Lutheran School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top