Council Bluffs, IA

Gerald W Kirn Middle School 4

Posted October 12, 2013
Many of the teachers here are great. They do a very good job but I really dislike the grading system as do many of the teachers. It lumps in the kids all together so that the kids who are really working hard are still falling into the same grade lumping as the kids who aren't really trying. There is not much incentive for the students who work hard and care about their education to continue trying nor is there incentive for the kids who aren't trying to buckle down and work any harder. My other complaint is parent teacher conferences. They are a nightmare. Conferences are held in the gyms and you have to repeatedly line up and wait to talk to each of the teachers which will usually take a minimum of two hours. The lines are fairly ridiculous, wait times of about 20 minutes or so, per teacher. Sometimes more sometimes less. There really has to be a better way of handling it like maybe holding conferences over several days, spreading out the number of parents and students instead of all cramming in for a few hours in one night. They could also really stand to expand the art and music programs. Those really benefit the kids. Other than that, I would say keep up the good job!

Gerald W Kirn Middle School 0

Posted May 12, 2009
I don't care for this grading system. My child is failing classes she excelled at before.

Posted May 06, 2009

Posted January 31, 2009
It is a great school. My son goes there. Its got a friendly staff and more.

Gerald W Kirn Middle School 0

Posted November 14, 2008
Teachers do not show respect for most students. During math I would go up to the teacher to talk about my grades he would continuously interrupt me...which he wouldn't allow me to voice my opinion. But when I switched classes this teacher seemed to be happier when I left. So I think this was more on the personal side. Really the teachers expect too much out of students. I've heard there has been some racial problems also in school. Which makes me uncomfortable having to go here.

Gerald W Kirn Middle School 2

Posted November 10, 2007
There is a definite lack of communication. For example, my child's teacher did not return corrected math papers for her to correct even after I requested this. I requested this also through her counselor, later the principal. His response was sometime in the future I could review her grades on line. He was absolutely no help in my quest to have my daughter learn from the mistakes made on her math papers. I've had two children in Kirn. I hope the administration changes before my next child attends Kirn. Many upsetting incidents concerning a lack of discipline. Very disappointing. Children are numbers to be passed through in two years no matter the students needs or problems.

Gerald W Kirn Middle School 3

Posted December 19, 2003
- a former student

Gerald W Kirn Middle School
100 North Ave, Council Bluffs, IA  51503
Last modified Gerald W Kirn Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gerald W Kirn Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top