Central High School

Public | 9-12

Posted January 29, 2014

My son received a great education at Davenport Central High School. He was challenged academically both in classes, especially the AP classes, and through the Talented and Gifted Program (TAG). TAG provided scholastic bowls, Mock Trial, an environmental club, and reading with elementary students. These activities kept him engaged in school and helped him gain admission to The University of Chicago. His musical talents were strengthened through concert band, orchestra, and marching band. He was also able to swim and play tennis for Central. My son in addition learned how to survive in the real world by attending such a diverse school and thrived with its many opportunities for success.

Posted September 23, 2013

I went to Central through 9-10 grade. I dropped out, and now have my GED and have a full time job. I think getting my GED was the best thing I have ever done. My first years, and last years were hard for me, i struggled with math and no teacher ever helped me to my level, they thought that we all learned the same, only did Mrs. Rutin help me with pre-algebra, no one else has ever got math through my head except for her. Other than that, Central was not good for me, nobody did anything about bullying. No one stood up for me or any other students that had trouble. I was bullied for so long untill i just stopped caring, i told the teachers, they didnt care or do anything. Some of the rules were just ridiculus, and some teachers were either too lenient, and didnt care, or too strict and un-fair. I am very happy i dropped out. Im glad i no longer look forward to having my freedom of speech taken away, im happy with myself now, i have freedom of exspession now, i should have been in my senior year now, and im glad im not there.

Posted January 5, 2013

Davenport Central is a fantastic school with great teachers, administrators, etc. The school provides a real life experience with a diverse student population in terms of race and socioeconomics. The history that surrounds this school is tremendous, there are thousands of extremely successful graduates that accomplished many things. Take a look a the Hall of Honor for examples of the greatness. As an alum I am more than proud to say Central is my high school of choice (my kids will attend when they become HS age). My wife, also an alum, worked in the building until recently and I can say that DC is still the place to be. Go Blue!

Posted October 27, 2010

Davenport Central is an excellent school! I am an alum and my daughter graduated 7 years ago. Now I have two sons who are involved in vocal music and sports and are high achievers academically. I would agree that the band program has suffered, it is not at the level it was when my daughter attended, but our choirs and show choirs are among the best of the midwest! High achieving kids have lots of choices and both my current attendees are well-prepared to go on to college. We know lots of kids that have transferred IN to Central just for the vocal dept. Kudos to our fabulous directors!!! And remember, when it comes to school, parents that are involved can make all the difference in your child's experience. And the administrative issues are past too, I think! Our top 2 principals are loyal Central alums and do an awesome

Posted November 28, 2008

I am very disapointed at the level of teacher interaction with parents. My sisters kids went to Central and all were in their amazing band program so I naturally wanted my kids to experience this as well. Sorry to say, all of the excellence that was once there in the music department is long gone. Those teachers haved unfortunately moved on, and what stands in place now is a skelton of what used to be a world class music program. We are all Very disappointed, and I will be transfering our kids to Bettendorf at the semester. Wow what happened in Davenport?

Posted August 22, 2006

Attended .... a while ago. Currently am a social worker in another state. Really enjoyed what Central gave me. I am proud to have gone there.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 30, 2006

Davenport Central High School is simply outstanding. From the competivie Athletic teams, Fine Arts, Journalism, and Academics in general, Central is a premier school in the state. Students revel in the living history of the 102 year old school, whose three buildings breathes inspiration into all that see these architectural master pieces. Diversity of ethnicites and socio-economic levels is smooth and coherent within the student body, making for an experience only Central can offer in eastern Iowa.

Posted July 14, 2006

Central has been the best place for all four of my children to grow. The Band Program was incredible and all of my children loved being involved in the Nationally Competitive Marching band. College prep was very straight forward with several other activities for the kids to get involved with. Overall Great learning environment provided by the teachers, especially Music. Not real happy with the administration drama. Seems to be a revolving door of less then effective principals over the past 9 years, and they still haven't found a good one. Get past that and look at the staff to find the real gems there.

Posted April 30, 2006

Davenport Central is an amazing school. The music program is by far one of the best! I am a student at Central and it is an amazing school. The teachers are good especially the band director, and the class choices are very good- i am in the advanced math and english programs and it is great. Any child would be lucky to attend Central.

Posted February 20, 2006

Central is best HS in Dav. - It can breed mediacrocy- If your child is unable to focus on their goal to succeed and put blinders on to those students who do not wish to succeed- nor seek best teachers within the course curriculum, they may have some troubles. Be involved with their class choices early on-

Posted February 26, 2005

Out of the other high schools in Davenport, Central is by far the best. They focus on education while maintaining an out-of-this-world music program and winning sports teams. Also, the school teaches diversity and caring for others.

Posted February 23, 2004

This is the school in Davenport to send your students to if they are interested in Music,the Arts, Journalism, or college prep classes. The building has been newly remodled and is beautiful and functional. The science labs are modern and the computer facilities are excellent. Many AP classes and college credit classes are offered for students. Do not hesitate to send your children here.

Posted September 9, 2003

I did not like the way the school handled some problems my son had while there. They were not helpful at all. I'm just glad my son graduated last year, but I dread the thought of my other son and daughter going there soon.

Posted August 26, 2003

I'm not a parent, but I am a former student, a 2000 grad. Of the 3 public high schools in Davenport, Central is by far the best. Dedicated teachers, a diverse student body, excellent music and the arts programs. I count myself lucky to be a Central alum.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 25, 2003

Central provides students with opportunities to become all that they are capable of being. It is large enough to have a very good variety of options. Faculty and staff still watch individual students and provide them with material that keeps them challenged and progressing at and above grade level. We evaluated all Iowa Quad Cities options and selected Central above all others.

Posted August 22, 2003

I think the school is great! My kids thinks it's a good school! It's in very good conditions! They rebuiled a new cafeteria and I think it's the best school. The teachers and kids are very great there!

Posted August 10, 2003

Building & grounds in poor condition. Extreme lack of discipline. Poor learning environment. We pulled our student out and went to private school.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 81% in 2013.

302 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2013

Reading

The state average for Reading was 82% in 2013.

302 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2013

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Iowa used the Iowa Assessments to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in reading and math. The scores reflect the performance of students enrolled for the full academic year. The Iowa Assessments are standards-based tests, which measure specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Iowa. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficient on the tests.

Source: Iowa Department of Education

Economically disadvantaged61%
Students with disabilities22%
English language learnersn/a
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Iowa Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Iowa Department of Education

• Vocal lessons / coaching
Performing arts
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1120 Main St