Davenport, IA
Students enrolled: 1,414

Posted January 29, 2014
My son received a great education at Davenport Central High School. He was challenged academically both in classes, especially the AP classes, and through the Talented and Gifted Program (TAG). TAG provided scholastic bowls, Mock Trial, an environmental club, and reading with elementary students. These activities kept him engaged in school and helped him gain admission to The University of Chicago. His musical talents were strengthened through concert band, orchestra, and marching band. He was also able to swim and play tennis for Central. My son in addition learned how to survive in the real world by attending such a diverse school and thrived with its many opportunities for success.

Central High School 2

Posted September 23, 2013
I went to Central through 9-10 grade. I dropped out, and now have my GED and have a full time job. I think getting my GED was the best thing I have ever done. My first years, and last years were hard for me, i struggled with math and no teacher ever helped me to my level, they thought that we all learned the same, only did Mrs. Rutin help me with pre-algebra, no one else has ever got math through my head except for her. Other than that, Central was not good for me, nobody did anything about bullying. No one stood up for me or any other students that had trouble. I was bullied for so long untill i just stopped caring, i told the teachers, they didnt care or do anything. Some of the rules were just ridiculus, and some teachers were either too lenient, and didnt care, or too strict and un-fair. I am very happy i dropped out. Im glad i no longer look forward to having my freedom of speech taken away, im happy with myself now, i have freedom of exspession now, i should have been in my senior year now, and im glad im not there.

Posted January 05, 2013
Davenport Central is a fantastic school with great teachers, administrators, etc. The school provides a real life experience with a diverse student population in terms of race and socioeconomics. The history that surrounds this school is tremendous, there are thousands of extremely successful graduates that accomplished many things. Take a look a the Hall of Honor for examples of the greatness. As an alum I am more than proud to say Central is my high school of choice (my kids will attend when they become HS age). My wife, also an alum, worked in the building until recently and I can say that DC is still the place to be. Go Blue!

Posted October 27, 2010
Davenport Central is an excellent school! I am an alum and my daughter graduated 7 years ago. Now I have two sons who are involved in vocal music and sports and are high achievers academically. I would agree that the band program has suffered, it is not at the level it was when my daughter attended, but our choirs and show choirs are among the best of the midwest! High achieving kids have lots of choices and both my current attendees are well-prepared to go on to college. We know lots of kids that have transferred IN to Central just for the vocal dept. Kudos to our fabulous directors!!! And remember, when it comes to school, parents that are involved can make all the difference in your child's experience. And the administrative issues are past too, I think! Our top 2 principals are loyal Central alums and do an awesome

Central High School 2

Posted November 28, 2008
I am very disapointed at the level of teacher interaction with parents. My sisters kids went to Central and all were in their amazing band program so I naturally wanted my kids to experience this as well. Sorry to say, all of the excellence that was once there in the music department is long gone. Those teachers haved unfortunately moved on, and what stands in place now is a skelton of what used to be a world class music program. We are all Very disappointed, and I will be transfering our kids to Bettendorf at the semester. Wow what happened in Davenport?

Central High School 4

Posted September 15, 2008

Posted August 06, 2008

Posted August 22, 2006
- a former student
Attended .... a while ago. Currently am a social worker in another state. Really enjoyed what Central gave me. I am proud to have gone there.

Posted July 30, 2006
Davenport Central High School is simply outstanding. From the competivie Athletic teams, Fine Arts, Journalism, and Academics in general, Central is a premier school in the state. Students revel in the living history of the 102 year old school, whose three buildings breathes inspiration into all that see these architectural master pieces. Diversity of ethnicites and socio-economic levels is smooth and coherent within the student body, making for an experience only Central can offer in eastern Iowa.

Posted July 14, 2006
Central has been the best place for all four of my children to grow. The Band Program was incredible and all of my children loved being involved in the Nationally Competitive Marching band. College prep was very straight forward with several other activities for the kids to get involved with. Overall Great learning environment provided by the teachers, especially Music. Not real happy with the administration drama. Seems to be a revolving door of less then effective principals over the past 9 years, and they still haven't found a good one. Get past that and look at the staff to find the real gems there.

Central High School
1120 Main St, Davenport, IA  52803
Last modified Central High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Central High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top