Posted March 12, 2014
Great teachers, great community, safe area for kids to walk to and from school. There is a lot of diversity in this district and that's a positive in my book.

Posted October 08, 2013
We have a 4th grader at the school and it has just been a awesome school for him. He is in the Tag program for Math and he is doing awesome he qualifies every year so far for Tag. He is also in String Orchestra and Choir he does these before school and during lunch loves it. They don't put up with kids causing trouble at all. They have so much to offer to 4th and 5th graders. The principle is totally awesome. Send your kids to this school and get a great education.

Posted May 16, 2011
We have been at Harrison since my daughter was in first grade. Thank you, thank you Harrison Elementary! This school has the best teachers, the best office staff, the best paraeducators and an awesome TAG program! The Principal, Mr. Green who retired in 2010 was very focused on higher education. The new Principal is a fantastic replacement. Your kids will only grow and improve in many ways at Harrison. Also, they do not put up with any trouble makers in the classroom! There is a great amount of parent involvement as well with the PTA program that gets it done!

Posted August 10, 2009
My child attended Harrison for one year and I do agree that there are some good teachers there. The only drawback that another parent has noted as well ,is that I do not believe that they not proficient in the areas of special education(ie IEP). I come from a DoD(military) environment, so I'm used to those special educators staying in constantly contact with me concerning meetings and updates concerning my child. My child has an IEP, yet we did not have an end of year meeting informing me how my child was doing before going into the 6th grade at a different school. Now it's time to register again and I have no current copy of an IEP.

Posted June 03, 2009
As a Active Duty military member and a growing up as a military kid I have dealt with a lot of schools. Harrison does very well academically and have proven themselves good at core teaching skills. Administratively Harrison has a number of issues. Harrison Administrative Staff seem surprised that I don't intuitively know all school rules or how Harrison operates. When I question anything I get a distinct impression that I have insulted everyone around by asking. Sorry, I'm an interested and involved parent, I will ask every question I can think of and Yes I expect you to answer in a professional manner. I know my wife has volunterred numerous times and if she gets a request to help she will only find out mere hours before help needed. Don't get me wrong, Harrison a good academic school that treats kids very well. Just needs to improve 'adult-to-adult' interaction.

Posted May 14, 2009
I have been nothing but pleased about things I hear and see going on in this school. I would have to disagree about this school being parent unfriendly. I have been invited in more than once this school year to my child's room, have taken advantage of special persons day, and before and after school activities. The teachers seem well educated and my child has nothing but good things to share about her day.

Harrison Elementary School 0

Posted April 22, 2009
I have 2 children at this school. I agree with the other raters. Academically this school gets an A +. The TAG program is not adequately staffed. For the most part the teachers are very good though some do need to retire. I like Mr. Green, the principal. I also agree that the teachers do not want you in their school. If you want in, you had better get involved in the PTA or do PRN as a paraprofessional. We do like Harrison and so do our kids. I have found that they lack the knowledge in the area of special ed/behavior educ. The teachers are willing to learn. Resource teachers lack in interpersonal skills. -involved parent

Harrison Elementary School 2

Posted August 19, 2008

Posted June 10, 2008
I have had a consistently great experience with my children's teachers at this school. That being said, the office staff, para-educators, and most especially the principal are the most parent-unfriendly I have ever encountered (and we've been to several schools). Be prepared to be disprespected, condescended to and generally dismissed in any dealings you have with the staff at this school. I have talked to many, many other parents about this problem, and I have never met any parent who had good things to say about the staff (not the teachers) or the administration at Harrison. It's maddening and insulting to be asked to bring a doctor's note to 'prove' where your child was when you sign him in (even if it's their first absence ever!) or to be told that your kindergartener was placed in detention for 'pretending to take tickets' at the top of the playground slide. Please.

Posted October 11, 2007
Harrison has it's share of good teachers and its share of a couple of older teachers that need to retire! However, they consistently strive for high academic scores and tend to overwhelm kids with homework at times which is also not fair all the time. However this is an excellent school with mostly all good kids and there is no tolerance for fighting or anything else at this school, Mr. Green is a very good Principal.

Harrison Elementary School
1032 West 53rd St, Davenport, IA  52806
Last modified Harrison Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Harrison Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top