Des Moines, IA

St Theresa School 1

Posted July 01, 2015
When it came to child development and child psychology classes the principle and the middle/junior high teaching staff must have been sleeping. This school harms children’s integrity and causes great stress and anxiety. Be careful if you are looking at this school. Visit more than once and I assure you that you will hear teachers in the upper grades yelling at students. I figured that the children must have deserved it until it started happening to mine. Humiliation is not a good discipline tactic, however it is used daily on normally acting children. I would only recommend this school to people who have children that don’t make mistakes, only for children who can always sit still, and never step out of the line that is desired. To top it off, if you run into conflict, you will not get a response from the principle. Mrs. Stemler is unable to handle conflict and will not return calls or emails if the topic makes her uncomfortable.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted July 01, 2015
This answer to this question is it depends. It depends on if you are talking about education or life lessons. They teach book material just fine, they are terrible about teaching children coping still for life.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted July 01, 2015
All Catholic school have a higher volume of homework and this school is no different. This is one area that I feel this school has right. Academically they teach the children and encourage them to take their study habits home. From time to time there was homework sent home that was hard for an adult to do, but I wouldn’t say that this was a bad lesson for the kids.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted July 01, 2015
This school has a good academic program and if you child never speaks out of turn, steps out of line, or makes a mistake then they will do well. It is those children who have energy, excitement for life, and a creative disposition that will be beaten down by the principal and the middle and junior high teachers. So maybe they do teach determination to the student who refuse to be beaten down by them.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted July 01, 2015
This school teaches the children to tattle on their classmates which creates great conflicts between the students. If they would teach the children tolerance and respect they would have much better outcomes. They preach at the children to respect each other for their differences but they don’t teach it.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted July 01, 2015
Honestly my children attended this school for a few years and I was disappointed in the beginning with the lack of welcoming. They do have a welcome committee but I am not sure what they do. My family did well for a few years until my child was judged as a trouble maker. Be careful, this judgment comes easily, at young ages, and with children who are not really trouble. This school has no clue of what a troubled child truly is. Regardless, you cannot teach compassion and care unless adults are compassionate and caring themselves.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted July 01, 2015
This school encourages the students to tattle. This is an age old debate, tattling vs. telling and this school crosses the line. The teachers emotionally get involved with issues that they should let blow over and create an increased amount of dishonestly and storytelling by the children. The administration does not know how to assist children with overcoming playground conflicts. I have personally witnessed what I would call teacher bullying; teachers yelling at children and causing them to feel humiliated in front of their peers as punishment. Judgment of others is high at this school, once the teacher have decided not to like a family or child they will railroaded. This is not fair, and it does not teach the children about honesty or integrity. These character values are taught by role modeling and once they enter 5th grade, the role models are terrible.

Posted March 16, 2015
St. Theresa is a really wonderful school! They have the best teachers and administration. They are warm and welcoming and provided my child with the academic tools they needed to succeed at Dowling Catholic High School. I have two in college now and they did so well at Dowling they earned huge scholarships to private colleges. This is all due to St. Theresa's ability to prepare them for the rigorous coursework at Dowling. St. Theresa also has a really wonderful STEM program that the other schools do not have. My youngest is still at St. Theresa and loves STEM. In fact because of the STEM program he now loves math and is enrolled in upper level math and engineering classes next year at Dowling. St. Theresa is a good school and helps kids succeed.

Posted October 23, 2013
St. Theresa is such a warm community full of enthusiastic families and a supportive parish. Our mission is to help independent, happy, and faithful kids develop into life-long learners and citizens of the world. We are service-centered with an emphasis on social justice. We are STEM-certified meaning our science and math curriculum is hands-on and problem-solving focused. Our teachers are excellent and would do anything to help a student meet his/her needs. Lunch is delicious and our prinicpal is one of a kind. Mrs. Stemler is an advocate for teachers, a support for parents and above all, a cheer leader for children! St. Theresa is truly a wonderful place for children to grow.

Posted August 14, 2013
St Theresa's is an excellent school. I have my 2 boys there and they love it. They have fantastic teachers and a wonderful principal who really cares about the my kids overall well being!!! It's a loving, safe learning environment for my kids!!! I drive 50 miles everyday to make sure my boys attend St. Theresa's !!!

5810 Carpenter Avenue, Des Moines, IA  50311