Des Moines, IA

St Theresa School 5

Posted August 11, 2015
St. Theresa is a really wonderful school! They have the best teachers and administration. They are warm and welcoming and provided my child with the academic tools they needed to succeed at Dowling Catholic High School. I have two in college now and they did so well at Dowling they earned huge scholarships to private colleges. This is all due to St. Theresa's ability to prepare them for the rigorous coursework at Dowling. St. Theresa also has a really wonderful STEM program that the other schools do not have. My second to youngest is still at St. Theresa and loves STEM. In fact because of the STEM program he now loves math and is enrolled in upper level math and engineering classes next year at Dowling. St. Theresa is a good school and helps kids succeed.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted August 11, 2015
There is a saying among the teachers that i have heard from many of them "whatever it takes". I asked once what they meant by that and they said that it means that they would do whatever they could to help students succeed. I have a son that struggled in reading in 1st grade and his teacher offered to stay after school several nights a week to help him. She did and now in 4th grade, he is one of the best readers in his class.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted August 11, 2015
My 4th grader has a little bit of homework each night. It is usually spelling, a little math, and then maybe a social studies , writing or science project. It keeps them challenged without overloading them. I am glad to see them working at home but still have time to go outside and be a kid.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted August 11, 2015
I see this mostly in their STEM program. My kids are taught to never give up on a problem. They are able to try a solution and if that does not work they are encouraged to redesign and try again. This has had an affect on how they approach their homework as well. They want to finish it and not give up, even when they find it difficult.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted August 11, 2015
This school has taught my kids how to be kind to others and welcome everyone into their hearts. They often come home talking about how they feel respected by the teachers and I think this serves as a good role model for my kids. This is an area that St. Theresa excels.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted August 11, 2015
This school goes out of their way to be sure that every student is respected and valued. I love to go to the weekly school masses and see the students so actively engaged in the mass. My kids have grown in their faith and treat others with the up most kindness.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted August 11, 2015
This is more than a just a school to me. It feels like family. It is such a caring community that reached out to welcome us when we first moved to the area. The teachers are excellent and I love the small class sizes. This school exceeds expectations not only academically but in faith formation as well. I have felt at home here and would highly recommend this school to anyone!

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 15, 2015
Small class size allows for individual attention on students. Teachers are engaged, excited, and truly care about each student.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted July 15, 2015
The school uses STEM programming with every student in every grade. STEM teaches many life skills through its hands on, try, and re-try approach. Students build determination and confidence through the try it, make changes, and try again format of STEM.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted July 15, 2015
Brand new to the school and I was impressed how my child was shown respect from the staff and kids from the very first visit day. My child had never been shown that much respect before.

5810 Carpenter Avenue, Des Moines, IA  50311