PK-7|Private

Bad
Good

Posted November 07, 2015
When it was time to put our oldest in school, we struggled. We knew we wanted: small class sizes; individualized attention where teachers don't have the pressure of teaching to tests and what to think, rather are encouraged to teach children how to think; a balanced program of academics and extracurricular activities; opportunities for parental involvement; and and a focus on religious education in the classroom. All of this, and it must be affordable! Many told us, "good luck!," but God led us to Mount Olive Lutheran School. Our school has exceeded our expectations. Most important, we have two wonderfully happy children who now call Mount Olive home. They love school, their friends, and their teachers. They are surrounded by a positive environment that has allowed them to flourish is many unexpected ways.

Posted October 22, 2015
My family and I absolutely love Mount Olive Lutheran School for many reasons but the most important is because it is faith based. I initially chose Mount Olive Lutheran School because my daughter was being bullied at another school in town and the minute we toured Mount Olive I felt a HUGE boulder being lifted off my chest. I knew not only my daughter but all of my children would be loved and accepted there. The one thing I know for sure that makes Mount Olive different than other schools is that my children are greeted every morning by their principal and teachers with a smile and a hug. Also, every single day Jesus is poured into the hearts and minds therefore they feel comfortable bringing any burdens of the day to Him and asking for prayer. This is a mothers perfect prayer!

Posted March 13, 2009
Mt. Olive Lutheran School is a wonderful school which has been a real blessing to my children and our family. There is a close friendship which develops among the students and with the staff. The teachers are treated with respect and affection, and they likewise treat the students the same way. The academics are challenging and the children receive the very best instruction and mentoring. My daughter attended from preschool through 8th grade and was very well prepared for the advanced classes in high school, both academic classes and music/drama. My two boys are still there, and I feel great each day knowing that they are receiving the very best educational experience, along with the Christian values which lead to true character development. Thank you to all of the Mt. Olive staff and families for making Mt. Olive a true blessing to Des Moines!

Mt Olive Lutheran School 3

Posted July 18, 2008
Both of my children went to Mt. Olive. The teachers are experienced and great. The only problem I have, is that the parents (and children) all know each other pretty well and are not welcoming to new comers. I had tried numerous times to get our family invovled in school activities; which we regret due to being ostracized. Overall, the school is not excepting or welcoming to families who are a little different from their mainstream.

Posted July 11, 2007
This is a fantastic school with great academics, small class sizes and plenty of opportunity to get involved.

Posted March 03, 2004
Mt. Olive is by far the best school in the Des Moines area. The teachers and support staff are very involved in each child's education. My son's kindergarten teacher has been teaching for 25 years, and still keeps in touch with students who are now grown up and have kids of their own! Parents are welcome in the classroom, and often help in the school in one way or another. Class sizes and Christian value systems are second to none!

Mt Olive Lutheran School
5625 Franklin Avenue, Des Moines, IA  50310
Last modified Mt Olive Lutheran School is a Private school that serves grades PK-7