Des Moines, IA

Posted April 25, 2013
East High is the best school here in Iowa. Well to me of course. I am not in any extra curricular activities but they do have a lot. The school spirit is amazing and you could feel how proud we are to be a Scarlet! We are actually the biggest 9-12 school here in Iowa. I transferred to East as a Sophomore and I was a little scared because I heard so much bad things about East but it turned out to be big rumors! Every school has rumors and its just the stereotypes that scare people away. The faculty is very friendly and I have never had any problems with any teacher. I am very proud to be a Scarlet!

East High School 2

Posted August 22, 2012
Personally I do not like East much however compared to Central I find my East peers to be more relatable, sort of. Anyways other than a few good teachers I find the school to be a downer. At East they mostly care for athletics while other after school activities (besides debate) are rarely announced on the intercom. The school isn't bad but it isn't exactly the place where you want to send your children, as for education it's not that great but not horrid either. Faculty however, I feel like half of them are doing an extremely awful job and are unnecessarily rude just because they've authority over the students. Overall I rate this school as 2/5. Maybe it's just the fact I'm a cynical introvert who couldn't care for the next football game or befriend the average East student who overuses the word swag and old internet memes from five years ago. Though this review makes me sound like an arrogant pseudo intellectual who you may dislike, this is how I truly feel about the school after spending 3 years here. I'm not that impressed with the school when it comes to teachers, education, and students however it isn't the worst place. It's just not a place that I want to go back to.

Posted March 03, 2011
East is a great school for any high schooler. They have tons of extra curricular classes and all the basics too. I love most of my teachers and I usually have a great day. Another plus, is the school spirit. If everyone in that school filled up the main gym and yelled at the top of their lungs, no other gymnasium in Iowa could come close. The building is very big, but organized. Four floors of clasrooms and the west wing is the activity wing. It has 2 gyms, a weightlifting room, and a pool room. The cafeteria is large and spacey. Overall this is one of the best schools (I would say) in Iowa.

Posted March 11, 2010
Great school great tradition. Mixed culture and many teachers who care. Also great sports programs. I'm proud to have been scarlet! #21!

East High School 4

Posted March 07, 2010
I am a parent of 2 high school students of East High. Upon moving to Des Moines I was encouraged to not allow my children to attend this High School. Upon walking into the school, I was impressed. I expected graffiti, gangs, unruley kids, etc. Unfortunately, I expected the worst. No only did my 'old' community warn me, but also the Des Moines community talked horrible of this school. East is an awesome school. I am thankful that my children had the opportunity to attend. The teachers are available, their performance is above average, and they have the students best interest in their teaching. They care! On the negative, the counselors seem to have their own agenda in mind ...but with stern persuasion, they can come around. I would recommend East to anyone who cares about their child's education! It is a great school.

Posted September 29, 2008

Posted June 12, 2008

East High School 1

Posted October 18, 2007

East High School 3

Posted April 07, 2007
I think East should have more security guards to patrol the school. The population is one of the highest in the city and there are not enough guards to ensure students are safe.

East High School 4

Posted April 05, 2007
GO EAST!!!!! I am currently a Junior and I think that East is a great school. There could be more involvement/interest in the music department though. I am a member of all band things offered, and it seems that many students don't care to watch our performances as much as the sports. It is still a great school and deserves a much better reputation than people have associated with it.

East High School
815 East 13th St, Des Moines, IA  50316
Last modified East High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
East High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top