Posted August 08, 2014
My son has attended this school since Kindergarten. All of his teachers have been wonderful! The Principle is always in the hallways and knows what is going on in this school.

Hillis Elementary School 3

Posted February 12, 2014
My son attended Preschool at this school. I thought that the program was ok but a few things disapointed me. Good: I liked my kids teacher/TA both were friendly and seemed interested in meeting our families needs. There was a variety of daily activities that kept my son interested and I felt like he learned some things. There were some school events that seemed to have good support Not so good: Preschool entrance is a security risk and should be better secured to limit access to non-preschool visitors. Preschool students pulled hair and spit on my son with little repercussions Principal was available by phone but seemed to have limited involvement with preschool (I'm not sure how much a principal should be involved but my guess is more) Conclusion: I would have preferred other options but this was the nearest preschool that offered a program that worked with our schedule/needs. If you are forced to send your child here for preschool keep an eye on discipline and establish a relationship with the staff.

Posted October 20, 2012
I went to Hillis as a child and when I purchased a house I chose one in the same neighborhood. They had a complete remodel in the last few years and it looks wonderful. I currently volunteer there and I am in the school frequently. I have nothing but respect and gratitude for the great job they do with their students. The principal is engaged and responsive and the teachers go above and beyond.

Posted September 16, 2009
I have volunteered there as a retired elementary teacher. the level of caringis amazing and the noise level is almost non-existent...very serene. firm but loving discipline happens there!

Hillis Elementary School 0

Posted June 10, 2008
This school has just integrated half the students that went to Moore, which was wrongly closed after the 2006-07 year. It is a wonderful school and has very good teachers and the kids are great~!

Posted January 18, 2006
This is such a fantastically wonderful school. I wish we would have attended before this year (2005-2006). Of course the principal is excellent, as he says, 'Its all about the kids'. This school reminds us that parent participation is wanted at any time as it increases students desires to participate fully and succeed. This is a 'family-oriented' school and we love it.

Hillis Elementary School
2401 56th St, Des Moines, IA  50310
Last modified Hillis Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hillis Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 6 reviews. Top