Des Moines, IA

Posted July 03, 2014
I have to admit that I was a bit apprehensive about sending my child to McCombs last year (middle school can be scary for parents), however it turned out to be a wonderful experience for my child. The building is completely remodeled with the open classroom setting a thing of the past. The teachers are very approachable and go the extra mile to help students succeed. There are many activities and opportunities for students to be involved in. My student had a great year, loved his teachers, improved in all academic areas, and generally enjoyed going to school. McCombs has proven to me that they are moving forward with high goals and expectations and I am very happy my child is along for the ride.

Posted July 01, 2014
I have had the benefit of working in this school for the past 11 years, and I have seen a huge number of positive changes. We have been through a beautiful remodel which updated the building in much needed ways. The amount of technology in our building has at least tripled in the last few years, and our test scores are improving as well. Staff and students at McCombs want the school to be number 1 in Des Moines, and we reach this goal all the time in so many different ways- just check out our #1 display case in the front hallway! The teachers at this school work hard every day to ensure that students feel safe, engaged, and free to express themselves. Teachers give up planning time to arrange interventions for struggling students to make sure that every student gets what they need academically. The amount of after school and extracurricular opportunities for students has increased every year. This is a school that cares about academics, behavior, and creating future citizens who will be successful in the world outside of middle school.

Mccombs Middle School 4

Posted July 01, 2014
I have been associated with McCombs Middle for the past two years . I think they are so underrated. The staff and teachers there are so friendly and accommodating. The students are respectful and worked very hard in their academic areas, sports and community involvement. McCombs was featured so many times for the last school year for great achievements in many areas. For a school on the south side , thumbs up to McCombs for striving for excellence everyday.

Posted June 30, 2014
McCombs has been a breath of fresh air. I have worked in other buildings in Des Moines and by far McCombs has had the best behavior I have seen in a long time. I attribute that to a strong engaged staff that are completely working as a team. The kids are there to learn and the teachers are able to teach with very few distractions due to behavior. I am so pleased to have landed at McCombs after working in the same building for 12 years. I saw kids encouraging one another, teachers collaborating, and kids and staff enjoying themselves while taking pride in their school.

Posted April 26, 2014
I have been at this school for the last few years and love working here. The staff is fantastic and the administration is supportive. The school offers a ton of programs (Science, Jazz, Drama, Reading, Sports, a trip to DC and more) and staff often puts in extra time, even at the last minute (without pay) to make sure everyone has what they need to succeed. I have heard stories about where this school was four or five years ago and I can say, without a doubt, that we have made a complete turn around for the better. In my opinion McCombs is by far the number one school on the South Side of Des Moines. I have had many conversations with staff and the attitude by majority is a positive one. Being at McCombs is a great place to be and I think you will see very little turn over for years to come.

Mccombs Middle School 1

Posted February 24, 2012
I have not problems with the teachers at McCombs, what I am having an issue with is the fact that I am paying taxes for 1 assistant to follow 1 student around school to ensure she does not bully other students. It is disappointing that McCombs does not take futher action against bullies when they are reported by several students. It is time to remove my child and open enroll elsewhere. Thank you Des Moines Public Schools.

Mccombs Middle School 2

Posted July 01, 2010
this school is not good at all!! they are laying off drama, music, and computers which were the best classes in my opinion. The school desperatly needs money, the ceiling walls look like they were made out of card board and the whole school cares way to much about race. I'll recomend a differnt school. They're a lot of gands and vilonce there too, fights everyday.

Mccombs Middle School 2

Posted August 01, 2009
as a student at McCombs, I think it really needs to step up in letting kids have fun in a good way. plus, the classrooms are awful. their small and they have either fake walls or cabinets for walls.

Mccombs Middle School 0

Posted June 01, 2009
McCombs used to be an awesome school Fond memories, fair practices and in control. In the last few (probably 2-3 years) the school has drastically changed. The staff turnover is high, and their patience is low. If you can't tolerate teenagers, don't work in a middle school. This school has become more of a juvenile detention center instead of a learning environment. I am only hoping that my last son does not leave this school less educated than when he entered 3 years ago.

Mccombs Middle School 3

Posted January 10, 2009
It's an ok school. but the kids are annoying cause they don't care where they end up. And kids trying to learn have a hard time learning cause there is so many interuptions. Teachers do work hard though to help.

Mccombs Middle School
201 SW County Line Rd, Des Moines, IA  50320
Last modified Mccombs Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mccombs Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top