Posted April 12, 2014
Phillips is one of the best schools in Des Moines. I am a teacher and have taught at one of the middle schools where Phillips students continue their education and we could tell which students went to Phillips by their academics and behaviors. My children have both had excellent teachers at every grade level who challenged them to excel. The Principal is also a great leader who not only supports the students and staff, but also gets involved in the community. She has expected greatness out of all in the school community and it is reflected in the excellence that is seen in the school staff and students.

Posted June 11, 2013
my school is phillips this is my last year at phillips and i wish i could stay forever. The teachers are the best and the princeble is aswome too. i love this school and i hope every one else at phillips loves it too. its one of the best school i have ever been too. the LIBRARINE is the best out of all the staff i will miss her. this year are 5th grade classes scoreed the hightes reading or math in the district on iowa assesments. i really will miss this school. we are very lucky to go to this school there is a lot of people waiting to go to this school so we are lucky.LOVE YOU ALL, Bailee Smith & Laura Squiers

Posted April 16, 2012
I think phillips is an OUTSTANDING school, and so does my son. The teachers are very good at what the do, and they care about the kids.

Phillips Elementary School 3

Posted August 04, 2009

Posted May 13, 2008

Phillips Elementary School 3

Posted November 17, 2006
This school is OK...it is pretty good if your child is academically low. Lots of attention is given to special needs and a trivial respect to the gifted. Even though it is a traditional school it may or may not meet the guidelines. Homework is given regularly as busy work and unchallenging. The teachers love to teach but each teacher can do their own thing. What you get is some kids learn completely different materials within the grade level. Parental involvement is high. Poor behavior is rewarded not checked.

Posted October 18, 2005
I think Phillips is a wonderful school. I dont think my son would have done so well if in a bigger school.. The teachers put there heart and soul into those kids, it shows in everything that the do. The kids are number one. I would do it all over again and so would my son.

Posted July 19, 2004
I am the parent of 5 and the grandparent of 2. I have one child left in elementary and we chose Phillips because of the respect that is given by faculty to the students. We have always believed that 'you get what you give'. We have experienced wonderful, caring, giving teachers and the Principal is a gem! We are ending our childrens elementary careers with Phillips and are glad we made the choice. We only wish Phillips had more 'press' earlier as our other children would have benefited from such education!

Posted August 10, 2003
I have been affiliated with Phillips School since 1981. I really like the philosophy of 'back to the basics'. I was told by my children's Middle School and High School Teachers that they could tell that my sons had come from a 'Traditional' School. I believe that Phillips Traditional School is the best in Iowa.

Phillips Elementary School
1701 Lay St, Des Moines, IA  50317
Last modified Phillips Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Phillips Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 9 reviews.