Des Moines, IA

Posted February 17, 2014
We are truly blessed to have access to a school like this. I love the individualized hands on style of learning. The teachers are highly educated not only in the area of academics, but also in the way they nurture each child's development. Since each child truly works at their own pace, the sky's the limit when it comes to academic progress. Some of the kids in the junior high are doing College level work, but what's even more impressive is that most of the kids at Cowles love going to school.

Posted November 07, 2012
One of the best Schools in Des Moines. We are extremely lucky to have both of our children in this school. The fact that there are 700 kids on the waiting list is testimony to the education that is provided. Des Moines Scoll Board should take note and expand Montessori education in Des Moines

Posted October 19, 2012
Cowles has been a wonderful environment for our two children. Many of the teachers are over-the-top committed and involved not just to their own classrooms, but also to building a strong community. Children are engaged in the learning process. The waiting list issue is frustrating, but the one star reviews illustrate how much people want to have their children at Cowles... hopefully Cowles can figure out a more transparent waiting list process.

Posted December 12, 2011
I am lucky to have my child in this school! The curiosity of my child is nurtured and supported with the teachers and staff! I only hope, someday, Des Moines will have it's own public Montessori high school available to us!

Posted November 15, 2010
Fantastic school. My son goes is three and will be with the same teacher through kindergarten. His teacher is very kind and patient. All the teachers I've talked to are very good with children and know what they are talking about. I had the opportunity to observe some classrooms and was very impressed with all the teachers I saw. I am so glad that I found this school for my son and know he will get a great education here!

Cowles Elementary School 4

Posted May 14, 2010
The teachers actually know what their doing, and if not they'll find out. They pay attention to every student, even a bit too much at times. That is why I only give them four out of five stars, it is excellent but not always if the child is getting too much attention. The principal is kind and does care for their school, but they don't always handle conflicts the brightest way. The education, especially in middle school, is AMAZING! the one teacher wants you to really be the best you can be and if you don't want to, they won't push you. The education is so advanced that some students, even in fifth grade are working on algebra. Where a group of seventh and eighth graders are working on pre-calculus/calculus, and are UNDERSTANDING IT! Their teaching varieties are impressive, and I will miss the school when I leave.

Cowles Elementary School 0

Posted November 03, 2009
Cowles Montesorri School is a fantastic place. Using the Montesorri philosophy by helping the 'development of the human individual from birth to maturity within the context of his life-situation.' Our school is full of well rounded, caring, compassionate students. Lessons are given to children in small groups; and each class room is multi-aged. Studies include geography, biology, history, language, mathematics in all its branches, science, music and art. Exploration of each area is encouraged through trips outside the classroom; guests into the classroom and interactive invovement with others in the community.This inclusive approach to education fosters a feeling of connectedness to all humanity, and encourages their natural desire to make contributions to the world.

Cowles Elementary School 0

Posted November 26, 2007
We have two children who have been at Cowles for several years now. Cowles is an excellent school with highly motivated teachers. It is a public Montessori school, which is rare. Montessori is not suitable for all children. Children who need structure or they will goof around all day will not learn much at Cowles. They would be better off in a regular school. On the other hand, if your child enjoys learning and is a self-starter, Cowles is a great choice.

Cowles Elementary School
6401 College Ave, Des Moines, IA  50324
Last modified Cowles Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cowles Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top