Dubuque, IA

John Kennedy Elementary School 2

Posted April 27, 2012
It's not just Kennedy, it's a LOT of Dubuque's Public schools. We are moving to another State & the choice wasn't a hard one when we seen how Dubuque Schools are run. We came back to Dubuque after being gone a few years and I was horrified when my then 3rd grader had to "repeat Math that he did the previous year in another State BECAUSE, " Dubuque school isn't doing that " INSTEAD of keeping him going, they "dummied him down" he lost interest in Math, which was his favorite subject but when a child has to repeat what's he's already learned b/c the rest of the class isn't there, it's not education. Also, I agree with the poster from April 4th 2012, if your child is Bullied and you stand up, there's more to come. we have had problems with 2 Teachers, 2 different schools, and the principals did NOTHING about it. When a Teacher calls a child names in front of classmates, that's grounds for immediate termination ! Especially when other kids start using those words towards your child. Dubuque's School are FAR from what the used to be :(

John Kennedy Elementary School 1

Posted April 04, 2012
Our experience with Kennedy has soiled the ideas I once held about public schools. I had been a big believer in the school system and a great supporter of public education. After 3 years of attendance, I have grown more and more disgusted with the way things are handled. Kennedy can be a great school... if your child is not special, unique, or different in any way. If your child has any kind of special needs or quirks about them, this is not the place for you. If your child is bullied and are brave enough to report it, they will be shamed and blamed for being picked on. If your child needs extra help, they will be shamed and made to feel "less than" by both the teachers, principal, and counselor. I will say we had one teacher in our time with Kennedy that was amazing. She made that year livable. However, as a whole, the school is flawed greatly in the way complications are dealt with. Parental involvement is high, and the school itself is in a lovely area and is well kept. Its simply the administrative staff and some teaching staff that have ruined a once-amazing school.

John Kennedy Elementary School 1

Posted April 04, 2012
I attended Kennedy as a child and had good memories of the school, so I moved my family to the area the summer before my daughter started Kindergarten. I don't know what has happened over the years, but what we have dealt with is far from what I remember. We are now moving out of the area specifically to get away from this school. Highly disappointed.

John Kennedy Elementary School 5

Posted January 28, 2010
Downhill? Wow. It's one of the best schools in town and I'm very happy with my children's education. My four kids are very happy and their teachers have been super! The principle is the best. Great school!!!

John Kennedy Elementary School 0

Posted January 10, 2010
so-so school that is going downhill fast.

John Kennedy Elementary School 0

Posted July 21, 2009
My daughter loves her teachers and seems to enjoy everything about Kennedy school

John Kennedy Elementary School 4

Posted February 21, 2007
This is such a great website. When you can no longer ask a real estate agent for their opinion of a school when moving it is great to know that you can at least find out an average of how schools are doing. My two children go to Kennedy and I am very happy with the school and the teachers.

John Kennedy Elementary School
2135 Woodland, Dubuque, IA  52002
Last modified John Kennedy Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John Kennedy Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 7 reviews. Top