Bad
Good

Don't purchase a home in this school district. Everyone who knows better will tell you that Horizon and Beaver Creek are the places to be in Johnston. Here you will find a pervasive atmosphere of bullying -- for both boys and girls -- starting around 2nd or 3rd grade. (In 2013,. a second graded brought a gun to school and not for show-and-tell.) Roughneck parents and inarticulate staff make the place pretty much unbearable if you want to raise your kids in a middle class lifestyle. Here, norms are right out of a truck stop or biker bar. In reputation and performance, Lawson is consistently one of the worst of Johnston schools. Over and over again the corporate families removed their kids from my child's grade (citing the reasons I just mentioned) and then, finally, we did too and haven't regretted it for a second. Don't become a Johnston "East-sider" -- homes on the other side of town cost more per square foot but, ultimately, you won't regret it. Realtors won't tell you this, but now you know.

I swear they put aerosol Prozac in the ventilation system for the staff. They are consistently positive and extremely knowledgable. As foster parents we bring kids in on short notice and they often have a number of learning deficits to address. The staff is quick to respond and very helpful. they've done amazing work!! We've purposely not bought a different house so we can stay in this school's attendance boundaries.

Lawson is a great school with teachers and administrators who clearly care about their students. While I haven't always agreed with the classroom management philosophies of each teacher, administration and teachers alike have been receptive to my concerns and have taken the time to respect my thoughts as an educator in another district. I love that there is diversity within the school and that it is a safe learning environment for my daughter. The school is large, but takes the time to get to know students and families.

My son is in kindergarten and really enjoys going to Lawson. The teachers are warm and caring, and do a great job. They really make learning fun and engaging for the kids. The school itself is a very warm and comfortable environment and I really feel like my son is in good hands when I drop him off in the morning. They teach the kids about character and have many great programs for them to participate in.

Great staff all the way from preschool to 5th grade. Caring teachers, involved parents. The school is on of the smaller ones in the district, so I feel great about sending my kids there.

Great teachers. Great administration!

Last modified Lawson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.