Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

my teachers are all extremely supportive of me and everything I do, even if it does not relate to my academics

I haven't had any negative interactions at the school, my teachers and classes are good, I don't see any problems

I love Johnston. The education I've received there is truly top-notch. I've never had a single teacher who is not qualified or unpassionate, and the athletics are actually pretty good. I've been involved with numerous of activities that have definitely added to my experience. Students are, for a majority, very kind and clean cut. There are, of course, kids who drink or do drugs however they are the definite minority and there is no pressure to do anything you don't want to. Reading the reviews and seeing all the comments about drugs and drinking are definitely false or over-exaggerated. There is a high standard of excellence here and I'm so glad my parents chose to live in and send me to Johnston rather than some of the other local schools, such as Urbandale or Hoover.

The first year my kids went there they were hounded by drug dealers and bullied. My younger student was in class with a student that was clearly high and the teacher and counselors did nothing about it. My daughter also had rumors spread about her because she refused a date. Luckily her friends stood up for her, but the counselors could care less. Two suicides in one year in the middle school doesn't bode well, and those aren't the only suicides.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Saying drugs are bad and then letting them run rampant through the school shows no integrity.

Excellent schools... what about the baseball and football teams? I don't think there has even been a 40-0 baseball team in Iowa High School Athletics! I think if your kids go to church, have good values, and hang with friends that have of similar values you can't go wrong. You still need strong parental involvement.

It has a great staff with award winning teachers, and above average standardized test scores.

JHS is a high quality school. They have ample opportunities for every student. In response to the last person's review: every school has its share of students with problems. Per capita, JHS has much less than other metro high schools. Also, I would question the education of the person writing that review, as their spelling, grammar, and punctuation are very poor. Perhaps.....hmmmm....I think someone has an axe to grind.

Johnston high school is the by far worst school to ever send you child its all druggies and bad kids, its the worst school the school is messed up dont send your kid there!

Last modified Johnston Senior High School is a Public school that serves grades 10-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.