Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Student (1 response)

Posted March 16, 2016
Parts of the science department at the high school are atrocious. Honors classes with the purpose of preparing students for AP classes have been cut. Instead, the school strives for skewed growth with the number of AP classes it provides. While this increases the difficulty of classes at MHS, by no means does it better the education the student receives. This can especially be seen by some of the AP science teachers at the high school. My child is expected to self teach themselves the material. All the teacher simply does is grade tests and quizzes and tells the students which principles to google and read in their books. When my child asks for help from the teacher, it is of little help at all. At this point I'd seriously consider transferring your child to a more reputable school.

Posted March 03, 2015
I graduated from Muscatine High School with a high cumulative GPA. I took many classes at Muscatine Community College through the guidance of counselor Karey Hawkins, she is wonderful. I can not express how much I wish my parents would have put me in a better school district. The experiences I had with Karey Hawkins and MCC were the only positive experiences I can recall. Muscatine is an extremely weak school district and I will never allow my future children to be put in to it. While I am aware that there are good and bad teachers everywhere, the concentration of weak teachers within this district is extremely high. My parents moved my little brother to a new school district because of the many bad experiences I had in Muscatine.

Posted February 25, 2015
Despite complaints made against unsatisfactory teachers we have failed to see any change made to staff. My child saw his marks drop in his English (a class my child passed with very high grades in the past) class simply because of the irresponsible and unprofessional actions of the teacher such as losing assignments and acting in a very condescending manner when addressing students. The teacher even went on to blame the lost assignment on me and made several remarks in snark. I give Muscatine High School a 1/5

Muscatine High School 2

Posted April 11, 2014
I am a previous student of Muscatine High School and am now a sophomore in College. The only reason I am doing well is because I was able to talk AP courses and college courses through Muscatine High School which were positive attributes of the High School. There are also many extra-curriculars which will interest students at the High School. The huge downside of this High School is their new G2 program at Muscatine. It is terrible. It is full of apathetic students who want to do little work in school and still get good grades. If you check out the G2 page in the yearbook it is of all the students on their laptops. One class I wanted to take my senior year was only offered through the G2 program and it was such a joke. I learned absolutely nothing in it. There is a reason MHS is only scored as a 2 out of 10. They need to implement more rigorous academics and challenge the students, instead of giving them the easy way out with G2.

Posted February 01, 2014
The only thing wrong with this school is the attitude of the community, school board and very few of the old teachers. If you look at the comment below, you can see what I am talking about. It is easy to see progress is being made even though challenges in the lives of kids is at an all-time high. MHS is 1-to-1 with laptops, is a leader in areas like FFA, Ind. Tech, Honors classes, and Fine Arts. Music, including Band Show Choir and Orchestra, are known as some of the best in the state. Athletics are for the most part successful, with conference championships every year. Volunteer programs allow kids to give back to their community, which we do at unbelievable levels. The student council is incredible. Students can take College Credit classes with UI or MCC. Many kids graduate from HS with at least 1 or 2 semesters of college credit. There are caring staff in every department. If your child wants to learn, there is no ceiling to what MHS can help them accomplish. If other students have challenges, they will be addressed too, but that doesn't mean the motivated don't excel! Just avoid adopting the attitudes of those who choose to focus on the negative and you will love MHS.

Posted January 10, 2013
I love Muscatine High School. There are two programs you can choose from one is a project based learning program that helps students like me learn by doing projects that cover many things and prepare us for college. The other program is the more traditional classes. Also students and teacher are very excepting of differences and learning ability. MHS also has many precautions sets in place to protect it's students. There are many extra circular activity's available from sports to a wide variety of clubs. It is also a very advanced FFA program that teams with the local community college.

Muscatine High School 3

Posted November 22, 2011
The spin Dr. is alive and well in the Muscatine Community School District. The ITED scores in reading have went from 83% to 67% in 6 years and Math scores have gone from 78% to 69% in the same time frame. Guess what the principal has been here for .........SIX years.... see a pattern here. The admin. indicated that the emphasis has changed from test scores to education of students. Nice comment when your scores are dropping like my 401K... Spin on! Maybe the top down management style of the principal needs to change or maybe the principal needs to GO!!! Clean house while the students can still read!

Posted February 02, 2011
This is a great school for my daughter! Personal attention is unbelievable in the G-Squared Program. The rest of the school, not so much, but thank goodness my daughter is in that program. She gets inquiry/project based instruction with a ton of technology. She now sees school at whole different level, instead of dreading every single day. I am not aware of another school is the area that does this, and I am so happy Muscatine High School does. She knows what she has learned, and that is not the case with her friends in "traditional" classes, but more than anything, she is learning how to learn. Thanks to the school for caring enough about kids to try something different

Posted September 08, 2008
Muscatine High School doesn't offer enough opportunities for students. There are few AP classes for gifted and talented students and mediocre teachers instruct classes of all levels. The administration fails to adequately oversee and manage the school, causing a decrease in the quality of education. On the other hand, there are cliques, but they're not as prominent as they could be, and everyone gets along well. There is also an array of extracurriculars available. But because of the low quality of the education offered, I cannot give MHS more than one star.

Muscatine High School 4

Posted April 28, 2008
This school offers a lot of diversity. In that environment, students are able to see real world application to not only the education they recieve here, but also the experience. I rate Muscatine like this because I see they have a true love of their students and try to make their time here something that will prepare them for their future. There are obvious things that need continued attention, just as in every school. The broad range of classes is great for both high schieving students as well as lower achieving.

Muscatine High School
2705 Cedar, Muscatine, IA  52761
Last modified Muscatine High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.