Bad
Good

I graduated nearly 50 years ago, and with the strong fundamentals I got at NHS I have had a very successful career in health care helping thousands of people. I know the school has changed as has the town, but quality has always been a priority at NHS.

Zero out of Five. I had the dubious honor attending Newton Schools from 5th grade through HS graduation. I was lucky enough to attend 2 of the best elementary schools in Des Moines before moving to Newton. Thank goodness I had the advantage that and coming from a family of educators helped too. I will admit it was a big culture shock for me to move to move to such a dreary, misguided, little town at a young age. But the quality of education was terrible. I was identified as gifted and talented in Kindergarten. There were no good programs like GT in Newton,. which was a daily class for me in Des Moines. I was prepping for Middle School and beyond from the age of 5. In Newton I got 8 more years of Kindergarten with sporadic good advice. Anyone who rates higher is from Newton and doesn't know better.

I am a former student and loved it here. There are so many extracurricular activities to choose from. Parents are always involved and some of the teachers are now close friends. Definitely recommend this school to anyone in the Newton area.

Last modified Newton Senior High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.