Sioux City, IA

Leeds Elementary School 1

Posted June 15, 2015
At Leeds Elementary, my child is learning to strive for sub-mediocrity. It is a school so concerned about making sure the "at-risk" youth (who, sadly, appear to make up more than 90% of the student body) have something "positive" to latch on to, that they give out awards for PROFICIENCY. The only thing this does is make sure that these kids know that they don't have to do well, they just have to do well enough to reach the middle. It is scientifically (socioeconomically and psychologically) proven that children this age strive to meet what is expected of them; if they know that what is expected is utter mediocrity, that is precisely what they will achieve. This is a cultural misunderstanding in this school, and it reaches beyond the students and faculty: it not only breeds an environment in which our children are encouraged to remain mediocre, it also sets a sub-standard for the behavior of the parents in this school. I can attest to witnessing no less than 30 Jerry Springer-esque arguments in the parking lot between adults, over rude driving/parking practices (seriously, hood-pounding, cursing, name-calling arguments). I've seen similar behavior take place at extra curricular events (children's games, concerts, etc.) Obviously, the parents are adults who need to be responsible for their own behaviors. That said, in a different school, (take your pick of any of the other elementary schools in the area) this would never fly, because those schools expect more from their students and parents. I've caught my child lying about his role in altercations with other students on more than one occasion. When these lies were brought to the attention of the appropriate faculty members, they were barely even acknowledged, much less addressed. Some parents feel that it is a positive attribute when their child does not "get in trouble," I feel that allowing my child (or any other) to get away with disrespectful, dishonest behavior is lazy on the part of the faculty. Humans, especially children, need to be held to a standard of personal responsibility. And while I feel that there are plenty of problems with the way our governing bodies interpret the laws, this is the principle that our entire legal system is purported to be based upon!

Leeds Elementary School 1

Posted September 27, 2014
Same person from previous commit: As a mother of a child with disability act I have struggle to get the necessary help for my child education. Although the administrator may be bond to certain rules for a child to be eligible, I truly feel that the school lacks in the experiences in dealing with the minorities, and handling students that are minorities with a disability, And of course I may have to move my child out of Leeds if things don't change, and that's too bad for my child.

Leeds Elementary School
3919 Jefferson St, Sioux City, IA  51108
Last modified Leeds Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Leeds Elementary School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top