Story City, IA

Posted December 29, 2011
AWESOME school! couldn't be happier with staff, including Principal Hartzler. She is a great principal, I have to disagree completely with the comment of the person who thinks she is a horrible principal and shouldn't be around kids. Maybe you think this because your child is a little terror who gets whatever they want when their home, but not at school and you can't live with that. In that case you should go find a different school and leave that opening to a child who really wants to learn. Just because this school has discipline and the kids do not run wild, does not make it a bad school. So far our experience here is wonderful, my child loves it! The teachers are very caring and help each individual child. This school is about respecting each other, politeness, and overall having good manners, which every child SHOULD be raised with. I went to ames schools, and I'll tell you what you do not get the individual attention this school provides. And not to mention, I feel our kids couldn't be safer at this school. GOOD JOB to the staff of Roland-story elementary! We are proud to be a Norse!

Posted April 22, 2010
My grandchildren started Kindergarten this year and have had a wonderful experience.

Posted March 04, 2010

Posted December 08, 2009

Posted July 16, 2009
After reviewing parent comments, I can agree with most of them. We have had a student in this school system for 14 years. And we have left this system for options in Ames. The top down leadership style is rigid and not a 'can-do' form of leadership. School boards hands are tied by federal and state regulations everywhere. The lack of field trips, shortage of teachers, and the negative comments BY teachers are real problems locally. A few bad apples have spoiled the barrel. Time for a change for those folks who don't love to teach anymore-this district pay scale is one of the highest in the state and yet teacher complaints fill the lounge. Public schooling cannot meet the needs of every person. That is a fact. Parents make a choice and sacrifice for kids-it is worth it to research and visit your child's school rooms!

Posted February 23, 2009
this is a great school, small with focus on the basics. Kids are not 'forced to grow up too fast' here and they can explore the world in a safe environment.

Roland-Story Elementary School 2

Posted January 30, 2009
I disagree completely about the principal (Mrs. Hartzler) being such a wonderful principal, although she may know every child's name, she is a very cold woman and belongs in corporate business, not working with children and their families. As I see it, she is really the biggest problem, though I am in agreement with the other two parents about the school's total lack of necessary improvement towards the quality of the school system. Though there are quality teachers and staff employed at the school, the aforementioned factors have made the entire experience with Roland Story an absolute disappointment.

Roland-Story Elementary School 2

Posted September 18, 2008

Roland-Story Elementary School 3

Posted November 20, 2007
Our experience has been dissapointing. I agree that the test scores are great, and most of the staff has been tolerant and kind. However, I feel that there is so much more that the school could be doing to improve, and aren't.

Roland-Story Elementary School 3

Posted March 25, 2007
Our overall experience with this school has been so-so. The teachers are wonderful, as is the general staff at this school, however it definitely is a small town atmosphere with small town beliefs. I have heard time and time again of this schools philosophy of 'if it is not broke, do not fix it', which at times is quite ridiculous. Times are changing and this school needs to change with it using careful review and consideration in areas such as security, fairness, and utilization of resources available to them. While we have no complaints in regards to the clearly excellent test scores, we really wish our children were exposed to a bit more culture, and had better examples being set in regards to tolerance and accountability.

Roland-Story Elementary School
900 Hillcrest Dr, Story City, IA  50248
Last modified Roland-Story Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Roland-Story Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top