Posted May 31, 2015
As an educator at Karen Acres I couldn't ask for a better place to work. The collaboration between our staff and the constant push to increase our own knowledge if a huge benefit to our students. The test scores on this site are from 3 years ago and our scores from the last 2 years have increased dramatically. The PTO is welcoming and does a great job bringing KA families together through their many family fun nights.

Posted May 18, 2015
I am a new parent to this school but I love how welcoming everyone has been. The teachers seem to genuinely care about the students and making sure they are learning and being challenged academically. The principal is very hands on and makes a concentrated effort to get to the know the students and their families, and she really listens to parents when they have concerns. Every time I have been at the school, I have seen her in the hallways, the lunch room, and participating at all school & PTO functions. I feel good about the education and experiences my children will receive at Karen Acres Elementary.

Posted May 12, 2015
Karen Acres is a wonderful school! The teachers and staff are so caring! They give so much individualized attention to every one of their students. They offer so many different opportunities for the children to advance at their own pace. We have had children in other elementary schools, and the experience at Karen Acres has been absolutely amazing.

Posted May 11, 2015
We love KA! The teachers and staff are wonderful to work with. We were very nervous starting school due to my kids' food allergies but they worked closely with us to make school safe and welcoming. Academically, they are top notch. They challenge my kids and make school fun. The PTO sponsors fun family events on a regular basis.

Posted April 21, 2015
The staff is exceptional and so caring! I could ask for a better school for my kids. The PTO has come a long way due to a new president. She always makes you feel warm and welcoming. Can't say enough about this school!

Posted October 21, 2014
Karen Acres has been the best school for my boys. Small classrooms, and wonderful staff. I love how the teachers/Principle communicate well with the parents.

Posted August 07, 2014
The principal, teachers, and staff put our children and their needs first. Everyone at KA takes the time to get to know the students as people. Because they know the students all so well they are able to meet their needs on a personal level so that everyone can excel and live up to their potential. My children have grown leaps and bound with their academic skills as well as their self confidence. The teachers and principal answer questions and concerns immediately and work with parents as partners extremely well. Any concern that my family has ever had has been taken seriously and "resolved" quickly by the school. My children have surpassed all my academic goals exponentially thanks to the quality of education they've received. KA is an extremely talented team of educators!

Posted August 07, 2014
Great teachers and staff. Small class sizes, each student receives individual attention. Transferred here from a private school and couldn't be happier with the experience- have no regrets at all.

Posted February 03, 2012
Test scores do not tell the whole story at schools like Karen Acres. As a parent of 4 kids, who has experienced children at 3 different Urbandale Elementary Schools, I can honestly say this school has the best 5th grade teacher in the district and the 3rd and 4th grade teachers are awesome as well. This is a diverse school, particularly socio-economically with many English Language Learners. Consequently, scores aren't always great, however the teachers here do more to bring the kids they do have as far as they can with limited resources. The only negative here is that the PTO is run by a somewhat "cliquey" group of parents---very tough for "outsiders" to break into but this isn't the fault of the school and part of it is by default as there are a limited number of parents with the resources to be very involved in the PTO due to poverty, work, etc. Great school. My last child is done with elementary this year and I will be sad to leave this environment.

Posted January 25, 2009
Karen Acres staff - from Custodians to Support staff to Secretary to Teachers to Principal - all have one thing in common: Students are Priority! This is a wonderful, small-town feeling school in the Urbandale, IA area. We have had terrific experience with all teachers and grades! The parent involvement has been incredible. There is nothing KA staff wouldn't do! Go Cougars! Shame on the person who wrote the negative review...there couldn't be a better environment to have our children educated!

Karen Acres Elementary School
3500 74th Street, Urbandale, IA  50322
Last modified Karen Acres Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Karen Acres Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top