Des Moines Christian Schools 1

Posted March 12, 2015
Sadly, not everything is all good. On the outside things seem great, but once my husband and I began volunteering, we saw an uglier side. The teachers are amazing (they love the students, are well educated and gifted, and have a strong desire to be there) but they just are not treated well. We have witnessed the administration and the school board make biased decisions based on nothing that actually happens in the classroom. I've seen multiple employees not get contracts yet they had no negative reviews from administration. Sadly, there are wealthy parents who have way too much influence and seem to be able to make decisions for the school. There's just not a lot of great leadership happening right now at the school. I know enrollment is in trouble and I can definitely see why as we parents want to know if they will get there act together or not.

Des Moines Christian Schools 3

Posted February 01, 2015
DMCS is a very warm and welcoming school... there are many good things about the environment. However, the upper level academics are lacking. There are few AP classes, no "honors" differentiated classes, and very little variety in most subjects. It's also bothersome that in many cases,real science is not taught... things are generally presented from a "young earth" and literal six-day creation viewpoint, and science that falls outside of that is generally refuted, often with Answers in Genesis materials. It does STEM kids a disservice to have these limitations. Not trying to bash the school, but an honest concern to point out that it's not for everyone.

Posted November 10, 2014
Des Moines Christian is a biblically based Christian School with small class sizes and a very family inclusive approach. The teachers really care about the students and families. The academic expectations exceed those of the public school we also attended. Having the bible as a teaching tool in everything they do promotes good behavior and best efforts from students.

Posted November 10, 2014
Love the personal attention and the Christ centered teaching. My children have the opportunity to participate in many different activities.

Posted October 30, 2014
I have been involved with this school for 14 years and can't say enough good things about it!!! The education is top-notch and many other kids who transfer from other schools are behind academically. I love the Biblical teaching that my children get day in and out & I love that they get to pray with their classmates & teachers. The teachers truly care about their students. No common core issues is a definitely plus! I love that it's K-12 all in one building. I am in tears every year at their CHRISTmas program because I'm so blessed that our kids get to sing CHRISTmas songs about the real meaning of CHRISTmas! I wish I could have had this close-knit amazing school when I was their age!

Posted October 30, 2014
We could not be more happy at Des Moines Christian! Our junior and sixth grader are challenged and growing academically by the type of instruction they receive at DMC with great curriculum and creative teaching methods. They are growing in their spiritual walk daily as instruction is given from a Biblical Worldview. Our children have been able to develop like-minded friendships with their peers where they feel comfortable praying and building each other up in their faith. We also have had great experiences in athletics and show choir. You can tell that the teachers and staff care and love our children. DMC feels like home! We would highly recommend DMC!

Posted October 29, 2014
Des Moines Christian is an amazing school that not only had great academics but also provided my children a wonderful spiritual foundation that has stuck with them! After we moved to a new district, I felt that they were very prepared, in fact, were more advanced than their peers. The teachers are so caring and supportive and they have a wonderful leadership team. The school has diligently been adding technology and provides great opportunities for many extra curricular activities. My children were loved and safe each day and their teachers went above and beyond to be sure that my children's education was top notch.

Posted October 27, 2014
We love the challenging academics! My 3 children have all been at DMCS since kindergarten. This is our 5th year. The academics are much more demanding than the public schools, who must adhere to the common core's "race to the middle." Reading is 100% phonics, math is back-to-basics real math (not Everyday Math), and there is weekly memory work. I hear from friends who have switched from area public schools that they are 6 months behind DMCS' teaching. Plus, DMCS still teaches handwriting, cursive (starting 2nd grade) and has weekly spelling tests, which a lot of area public schools do not. My 3 children have thrived at DMCS, developing their intellect, faith and character. The teachers employ proven teaching methods, and most important, they truly care about each individual child reaching his or her full potential. 4th grade starts the Talented and Gifted program that kids can test into. It is has been so fun and challenging for my 4th grader. I really cannot say enough great things about Des Moines Christian.

Posted October 27, 2014
We transferred from the Waukee School District last year so our kids are just starting their second year at DMCS. What a great move this was for our family!! We love the small school atmosphere, the Christian based education, the activities that include the entire family, which makes it so easy to get to know other parents/families, and how our children are held accountable. Finally there are consequences to homework not being completed or turned in someone actually cares that they do it!! Although our kids will admit that DMCS is a lot more challenging academically, they will also say that they are learning so much more! They are THRIVING and are so happy--we feel blessed to be a part DMCS!!

Posted May 27, 2013
DMCS is a wonderful school! I especially appreciate the teachers and staff who hold a Biblical world view. The teachers truly care about my children, desire for them to succeed academically, and are concerned for their spiritual well-being, development, and growth. The academic standards are high and behavioral expectations mirror Biblical values. No school can be all things to all people -- no school is perfect. However, I believe that DMCS does it's very best to provide a well-rounded education, teach the gospel and love the children entrusted to them.

Des Moines Christian Schools
13007 Douglas Parkway, Urbandale, IA  50323
Last modified Des Moines Christian Schools is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
Des Moines Christian Schools Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top