Des Moines Christian Schools 2

Posted June 22, 2015
This school has some great points: involved parents, great teachers, and a good solid educational philosophy. But the negatives are outweighing the positives as of late. I echo what another reviewer recently said... that the administration is releasing teachers for no good reason at all; morale is down and teachers are walking on eggshells; and a group of "generous" parents seems to be pulling the strings. A rosy picture is continually being presented to us, and we're being told that things are just in "transition" and will get better. But we see no concrete plans that will make that happen. It's not pleasant. I hope they're able to pull things together, but it will likely be too little, too late for many families.

Des Moines Christian Schools 1

Posted June 19, 2015
Our son has made some bad decisions that resulted in us privately placing him at Boys Town for his sophomore year of high school. Challenges still exist but with God's guidance we are confident he will succeed. He has been there for 9 months and is ready to come home. As parents, we believe that a Christian school is a tremendous opportunity to shepherd our son. It would remove him from the previous negative influences that he found in his previous school. He deserves another chance. His future is bright, yet it was made clear to me that he is not welcome at Des Moines Christian School. I was told that he does not meet their high standards and that he "will fail" when he returns home from Boys Town. Des Moines Christian School should leave the word, "Christian" out of their title. It is merely a private school which is all about appearance (people with money, students who excel in sports, and NOT taking in children who have faced challenges in life). The Bible has different ideas about people in need. Shutting the door to a family who is reaching for a new beginning, says a lot about you. We are very disappointed with Jahna Duda's (the principal) response to our plea for hope. She flat out told us that our son will fail and offered no hope for our family. Our friends & family who have supported us share the same dismay in a school that is run by Christians. Romans 15:1 We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves. Galatians 6:2 Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

Des Moines Christian Schools 1

Posted March 12, 2015
Sadly, not everything is all good. On the outside things seem great, but once my husband and I began volunteering, we saw an uglier side. The teachers are amazing (they love the students, are well educated and gifted, and have a strong desire to be there) but they just are not treated well. We have witnessed the administration and the school board make biased decisions based on nothing that actually happens in the classroom. I've seen multiple employees not get contracts yet they had no negative reviews from administration. Sadly, there are wealthy parents who have way too much influence and seem to be able to make decisions for the school. There's just not a lot of great leadership happening right now at the school. I know enrollment is in trouble and I can definitely see why as we parents want to know if they will get there act together or not.
2 people found this helpful

Des Moines Christian Schools 3

Posted February 01, 2015
DMCS is a very warm and welcoming school... there are many good things about the environment. However, the upper level academics are lacking. There are few AP classes, no "honors" differentiated classes, and very little variety in most subjects. It's also bothersome that in many cases,real science is not taught... things are generally presented from a "young earth" and literal six-day creation viewpoint, and science that falls outside of that is generally refuted, often with Answers in Genesis materials. It does STEM kids a disservice to have these limitations. Not trying to bash the school, but an honest concern to point out that it's not for everyone.

Posted November 10, 2014
Des Moines Christian is a biblically based Christian School with small class sizes and a very family inclusive approach. The teachers really care about the students and families. The academic expectations exceed those of the public school we also attended. Having the bible as a teaching tool in everything they do promotes good behavior and best efforts from students.

Posted November 10, 2014
Love the personal attention and the Christ centered teaching. My children have the opportunity to participate in many different activities.

Posted October 30, 2014
I have been involved with this school for 14 years and can't say enough good things about it!!! The education is top-notch and many other kids who transfer from other schools are behind academically. I love the Biblical teaching that my children get day in and out & I love that they get to pray with their classmates & teachers. The teachers truly care about their students. No common core issues is a definitely plus! I love that it's K-12 all in one building. I am in tears every year at their CHRISTmas program because I'm so blessed that our kids get to sing CHRISTmas songs about the real meaning of CHRISTmas! I wish I could have had this close-knit amazing school when I was their age!

Posted October 30, 2014
We could not be more happy at Des Moines Christian! Our junior and sixth grader are challenged and growing academically by the type of instruction they receive at DMC with great curriculum and creative teaching methods. They are growing in their spiritual walk daily as instruction is given from a Biblical Worldview. Our children have been able to develop like-minded friendships with their peers where they feel comfortable praying and building each other up in their faith. We also have had great experiences in athletics and show choir. You can tell that the teachers and staff care and love our children. DMC feels like home! We would highly recommend DMC!

Posted October 29, 2014
Des Moines Christian is an amazing school that not only had great academics but also provided my children a wonderful spiritual foundation that has stuck with them! After we moved to a new district, I felt that they were very prepared, in fact, were more advanced than their peers. The teachers are so caring and supportive and they have a wonderful leadership team. The school has diligently been adding technology and provides great opportunities for many extra curricular activities. My children were loved and safe each day and their teachers went above and beyond to be sure that my children's education was top notch.

Posted October 27, 2014
We love the challenging academics! My 3 children have all been at DMCS since kindergarten. This is our 5th year. The academics are much more demanding than the public schools, who must adhere to the common core's "race to the middle." Reading is 100% phonics, math is back-to-basics real math (not Everyday Math), and there is weekly memory work. I hear from friends who have switched from area public schools that they are 6 months behind DMCS' teaching. Plus, DMCS still teaches handwriting, cursive (starting 2nd grade) and has weekly spelling tests, which a lot of area public schools do not. My 3 children have thrived at DMCS, developing their intellect, faith and character. The teachers employ proven teaching methods, and most important, they truly care about each individual child reaching his or her full potential. 4th grade starts the Talented and Gifted program that kids can test into. It is has been so fun and challenging for my 4th grader. I really cannot say enough great things about Des Moines Christian.

Des Moines Christian Schools
13007 Douglas Parkway, Urbandale, IA  50323
Last modified Des Moines Christian Schools is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
Des Moines Christian Schools Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top