9-12|Private

Bad
Good

Honestly these people try but they rarely succeed. Some great kids but teachers need to help their students instead of sitting on their cell phone. Some kids here do really bad things. Which can make a good kid turn bad. I would not send my child. It would take lots of work to make this school decent. I hope one day it could be like it once was. They need a renovation badly. Double check before you send your kid here.

I am a recent Alumni of Columbus High School (Class of '14) and I can honestly say that Columbus Catholic High School has changed my life. Cedar Valley Catholic Schools are based around 4 principles: Faith- through daily theology classes, weekly prayer services in the gym, and various masses throughout the year, faith plays a very important role in day to day actions in CHS. Knowledge- Teachers really know what they're teaching and are excellent at teaching it to students, especially a few teachers that have been at Columbus for 25+ years. Discipline- Students know the rules and they are enforced fairly. Service- Columbus offers opportunities for serving throughout the community, enhancing our impact on the community. Though the facilities may not be in the greatest condition, the teachers make the difference. I invite you to take a tour of Columbus, talk to the teachers, and learn that you can participate in many activities (I participated in 15 in a single year including athletics, arts, and even academic events) while still maintaining good grades! Columbus is truly a school you should consider. Trust me, you won't regret it.

I personally think that Columbus High School is the best. Yes, I know a LOT of good teachers are gone but a LOT are still there. If I ever have kids and CHS is still around, I would be proud and very happy to send my kids there.

I am so glad that the Waterloo/Cedar Falls area has a Catholic High School. Columbus has provided a quality education and a friendly and spiritual environment for both of my children. One has gone on to graduate from a D1 school and obtain a job that will pay for his masters. My other child will be attending a private college. He has been given significant scholarship monies. I attribute that not only to his hard work but to the fact that Columbus provided an environment where he could participate in many extra-curricular activities, leadership programs and spiritual development. There are several teachers that have made a difference in his life. Thank you, Columbus. To address the declining enrollment comments: If one were to research enrollment in the parish-based Catholic Schools throughout the United States, one would see that declining enrollment is the norm due to the change in clergy involvement.

I am a proud former student. While it is true the enrollment has dropped, that may be more a reflection of the smaller size of Catholic families these days instead of a reflection of the school's performance. This school's smaller size allows for personal attention to students of many achievement levels. This school offers many activities for students to participate in (academic competitions, band and chorus, religious clubs, and at least 7 sports for boys and 7 for girls). Values such as service, responsibility, and family are emphasized in a Catholic atmosphere. Caring and qualified staff-members are still present to guide students on a path toward postsecondary education. I think the guidance staff is extremely under-rated. Guidance counselors are compassionate, responsive, and offer as much information and advice toward the student's college preparation and choice as is possible. AP courses are offered in English, math, science, and social studies.

I cannot recommend Columbus High School to any parent. The enrollment has dropped, as a result course offerings have been cut. Many good teachers have left the school and I'm sure more will follow in the near future. Our daughter graduated in 2007 and over her four years quality went down. She had many different teachers and administrators come and go in her short time there. We are glad she has graduated and our other child will attend West High which has seen a resurgence in quality in academics and extracurricular activities.

Last modified Columbus High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12