K-12|Private

Bad
Good

I attended Walnut Ridge/WCS all the way from Kindergarten until the day I graduated from high school. While no school is perfect--yes, Walnut Ridge has its flaws--I personally am very thankful I had the privilege of attending the school. Most of what I'll be talking about below applies to high school and middle school. I went on to attend a very large public state university, and many of the things I learned at Walnut Ridge in addition to the experiences I had there helped me immensely in staying committed to seeking the truth, which I still believe to be God's truth. Overall, I believe the coursework did an excellent job of preparing me for the university setting. From what I've been told, Walnut Ridge expects a lot more out of students compared to surrounding public schools, but I truly think the rigorousness and regularity of the workload pays off in the end, especially for those who are college-bound. Personally, my favorite thing about the school was how the teachers put in a lot of effort into each student not just academically, but emotionally and spiritually as well. Obviously everyone has their flaws, and teachers at Walnut Ridge aren't exceptions to that, but I know Walnut Ridge was a good place for me since the teachers there really cared about me and the other students. I guess the biggest downer would be that the ruling doctrine at Walnut Ridge tends to be very fundamentalistically Christian, often to a fault. I think various liturgical traditions and attitudes had a tendency to be upheld merely for the sake of them being tradition, so there was always a danger of forgetting how we've been called to genuinely love and care for others like God has done for us. Sometimes students might not be challenged enough to go out of their comfort zones to really deny themselves and cultivate a true servant's heart, but then again the heart isn't something that we can change on our own. I do think it would have been helpful had other ideas been brought up more often and especially considered with a more balanced perspective, if not to at least help students develop more of a critical thinking approach to faith-related matters. But all things considered, I really believe that Walnut Ridge was the best option for me as a student during those years. I know that it can be a great option for others too depending on the needs of the student.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers don't get paid much at all yet the quality of education is remarkably good. Obviously the teachers choose to be there out of a sincere heart than for the money.

Develops character: Strongly agree

From my experience, whenever the teachers exercised discipline, they tended to do a good job of communicating why the wrong done had to be punished, from a biblical perspective obviously.

Detests any kind of opinion or other way of thinking. I myself was laughed at by the teacher and students for forming my own view of something. The so-called "Christian" teachers were very deceitful and flat-out lied about things so they wouldn't look bad to my parents. They are hypocritical and there's not much good to say. They are very uplifting but i wouldn't call it much of a school setting as much as a "let's hide you from real life" setting.

Walnut Ridge Baptist Academy was very instumental in my life from 6-12th grade, after attending public elementary school. I learned valuable lessons, morals, character traits, deepened my faith in Christ, and taught me about relationships with others & more importantly God! They didn't teach religion, they taught the truth! I went on to public university from there and had a strong foundation academically, socially, and morally! I was able to start a career & then a family. My husband and I are considering sending our own children there in a few years! My parents & Walnut Ridge gave me a strong foundation that I am thankful for!

Last modified Waterloo Christian School is a Private school that serves grades K-12