K-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted June 20, 2016
I attended Walnut Ridge/WCS all the way from Kindergarten until the day I graduated from high school. While no school is perfect--yes, Walnut Ridge has its flaws--I personally am very thankful I had the privilege of attending the school. Most of what I'll be talking about below applies to high school and middle school. I went on to attend a very large public state university, and many of the things I learned at Walnut Ridge in addition to the experiences I had there helped me immensely in staying committed to seeking the truth, which I still believe to be God's truth. Overall, I believe the coursework did an excellent job of preparing me for the university setting. From what I've been told, Walnut Ridge expects a lot more out of students compared to surrounding public schools, but I truly think the rigorousness and regularity of the workload pays off in the end, especially for those who are college-bound. Personally, my favorite thing about the school was how the teachers put in a lot of effort into each student not just academically, but emotionally and spiritually as well. Obviously everyone has their flaws, and teachers at Walnut Ridge aren't exceptions to that, but I know Walnut Ridge was a good place for me since the teachers there really cared about me and the other students. I guess the biggest downer would be that the ruling doctrine at Walnut Ridge tends to be very fundamentalistically Christian, often to a fault. I think various liturgical traditions and attitudes had a tendency to be upheld merely for the sake of them being tradition, so there was always a danger of forgetting how we've been called to genuinely love and care for others like God has done for us. Sometimes students might not be challenged enough to go out of their comfort zones to really deny themselves and cultivate a true servant's heart, but then again the heart isn't something that we can change on our own. I do think it would have been helpful had other ideas been brought up more often and especially considered with a more balanced perspective, if not to at least help students develop more of a critical thinking approach to faith-related matters. But all things considered, I really believe that Walnut Ridge was the best option for me as a student during those years. I know that it can be a great option for others too depending on the needs of the student.

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted June 20, 2016
Thank you to every teacher I've ever had for all the things that they've done for me and others at the school. And to all the staff members as well. I especially want to say how grateful I am for the efforts of each one as leaders to us students, and parents as well. I know being in a position like that isn't easy. When others complain, it can make you feel really discouraged, but we should be focused on God's perfect and loving will over the wants of people.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted June 20, 2016
The teachers don't get paid much at all yet the quality of education is remarkably good. Obviously the teachers choose to be there out of a sincere heart than for the money.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted June 20, 2016
From my experience, whenever the teachers exercised discipline, they tended to do a good job of communicating why the wrong done had to be punished, from a biblical perspective obviously.

Waterloo Christian School 1

Posted March 26, 2012
Detests any kind of opinion or other way of thinking. I myself was laughed at by the teacher and students for forming my own view of something. The so-called "Christian" teachers were very deceitful and flat-out lied about things so they wouldn't look bad to my parents. They are hypocritical and there's not much good to say. They are very uplifting but i wouldn't call it much of a school setting as much as a "let's hide you from real life" setting.

Posted April 30, 2007
Walnut Ridge Baptist Academy was very instumental in my life from 6-12th grade, after attending public elementary school. I learned valuable lessons, morals, character traits, deepened my faith in Christ, and taught me about relationships with others & more importantly God! They didn't teach religion, they taught the truth! I went on to public university from there and had a strong foundation academically, socially, and morally! I was able to start a career & then a family. My husband and I are considering sending our own children there in a few years! My parents & Walnut Ridge gave me a strong foundation that I am thankful for!

Waterloo Christian School 2

Posted January 23, 2006
Having went to Walnut Ridge from Kindergarten all the way through High School graduation, I am sad to say that the school is not worth going to. Any kind of dissent of opinion is stifled, to the point that the school promotes an unchallenged idealogical views in Bible classes that are hostile to those of us who aren't Baptists.

Posted January 10, 2006
Walnut Ridge Baptist Academy has provided the top rate Christian education we were looking for. The teacher and administration are top-notch and my daughter is getting a much better education than she was at public school. She would say it is 'harder,' but I say, 'great!' The focus on God and the Bible in all of her classes has been wonderful. I love that the Christmas Program is actually a 'CHRIST'mas program! Thank you Walnut Ridge!

Posted December 03, 2004
The Academy, a ministry of Walnut Ridge Baptist Church, has been a tremendous blessing to our family. Our 5 children have attended and now we've had grandchildren receive a high quality education, both academically and spiritually. When a problem arises, teachers, one on one,take students to scripture and then prayer - that is caring. My husband & I were committed to give our kids the best because we have but one chance - and this school continues to provide that in every aspect. Thank you WRBA!

Waterloo Christian School 1

Posted October 17, 2004
This school is lead by religion, and not by faith in God. Students aren't treated with respect, as teachers are poorly chosen to fill positions. If I had 1,000,000 dollars, I would give this school 5 dollars at the most. Until the school better understands the quality a christian school should have,it will not understand how God wants to use it. It has the potential, now lets hope it will get to the stage of understands, and start using faith instead of regilion.

1307 West Ridgeway Avenue, Waterloo, IA  50701
Last modified Waterloo Christian School is a Private school that serves grades K-12