Posted March 04, 2014
We moved into the district in June of 2013 with our four children. Two of our children (straight A students who have scored in the 90% on the Iowa Assessment) attend Stilwell Junior High School. Let me preface my review by telling you that due to several job transfers this is our 5th school district and our second junior high/middle school. We've had our kids in private schools, public schools and one of the lost sought after pubiic charter schools in the country. Stilwell Junior High is an amazing institution, the administration (Tim Miller, Eric Boyle) is amazing! For a large district, they are getting it right. Our children do not have any special needs or deciplinary issues. They are leaders and are well-respected among their peers. I cannot speak to their special needs program.

Stilwell Junior High School 1

Posted February 14, 2014
Although I have dealt with this school for four years now.I was quite pleased for awhile..I now see and believe that the staff is driven by the numbers..no concern for the individual student. They will say one thing and do another. Rather then give consideration to help the student I feel there actions show concern for performance that is to make the school look better. No concern for the individual student..just the way their performance in attendance and test scores.

Posted August 26, 2013
From the leadership to the teachers, Stilwell is amazing! I had heard great things about the school while my son was still in elementary, but our experience has surpassed all of our expectations. Mr. Miller is a brilliant principal and really takes the time to know the kids and families - even taking a Tiger Time (homeroom) class himself! By and large the teachers are caring and engaged. A great school spirit is nurtured by all. My son said he saw less bullying occur in middle school than in K-6. It was a no-nonsense building with a true zero tolerance attitude. Fabulous education and experience here!

Posted August 01, 2012
This school is one of the best in the district. From administration to faculty, to enrichment programs and additional education resources for students, Stilwell puts kids first. The approach seems to be more about developing the foundational learning so that the students advance in a high school setting. So impressed with the quality of teaching and nurturing happening here. Our family has three children who attend or attened Stilwell

Stilwell Junior High School 0

Posted April 19, 2010
We are on year 6 of 8 consecutive years at this school. The administration and faculty at this school are tops.

Stilwell Junior High School 0

Posted August 12, 2009
Former Stilwell student here, and it is definitly a fantastic school. They really concentrate on preparing you for those high school and college exams, and further life challenges. 8th grade has several AP classes, and 7th grade has a AP class for math. The only thing that is bothersome is that 7th grade cannot participate in sports. But Stilwell dominates when it comes to sports. Recently, their girls track team placed first in the state for big school division, which hadn't been done in 30 some years. The West Des Moines school district has some lower class people who attend, but mostly their are very high class people. And the lower class still have like, iPods and whatnot, so I guess you can't really say that they are 'lower class.' Their teachers are excellent and dedicate themselves to help you learn more, and expand your knowledge. Its a great school overall!

Stilwell Junior High School 4

Posted March 08, 2009
i love stilwell. the principal is great! you can go to him for anything!

Posted March 09, 2008

Posted September 05, 2006

Posted December 03, 2004
Stilwell is the best school I have ever been to- and i've been to plenty. Students really get involved with the school here too- we have extracurricular activities for sports, music, drama, and educational activities. 7th graders take the four core classes plus Phys. Education and a music class. They also participate in the Exploritory Block, which is a 9 week class in Tech. Ed, Home Ec., Consumer Ed. and Art. 7th graders also participate in music, drama, and school services. 8th grade also includes the 4 core classes, plus several electives sch as art, home ec, tech ed, Communications Media, Drama, and Spanish or French. 8th graders also participate in sports, music, drama, and school services. Everyone can participate in intramural sports, like running club, volleyball, football, wrestling, and basketball. Stilwell is overall the best school in the district. I can't even begin to explain th quality of Stilwell.

Stilwell Junior High School
1601 Vine St, West Des Moines, IA  50265
Last modified Stilwell Junior High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Stilwell Junior High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top