Montessori Children's House

Private | PK-1 | 183 students

Living in West Des Moines

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $182,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $850.

Sweep tile

Posted March 31, 2014

This is an awesome school!!! Cont In regards to the comment that the staff is new and less experienced is totally false information. A couple of the teachers have been at the school for 5 years. Most of the teachers have been at the school between 16 years to 30+. If there is a new teacher it is only because teachers retire or enrollment has gone up due to the excellent teaching staff. Our children s knowledge and life skills are incredible. I know parents who have moved out of state who cannot find a school that has everything Montessori Children s House in West Des Moines Iowa has. The teaching staff truly care and love (I mean LOVE) the children. This is such an incredible school!

Posted March 24, 2014

Great school!! This is my fourth year and my kids have learned a lot! I do recommend it!

Posted February 3, 2014

We were very happy at Montessori Children's House for the last several years. Unfortunately, with the changes in staff and poor leadership, it has become a cold and unloving school, devoid of respect for the students and their needs.

Posted January 29, 2014

The principal and the staff are very rude. In the initial they are good until they secure admission.

Posted November 13, 2013

Think twice before joining this school. The management's focus is only money. I had a unexpected change in job, so had to move out of state. They charge 70% of the fee for the remaining months. They want money without doing service, very greedy management.

Posted November 7, 2013

Please do not put you child in this school. The management is very poor. They school representative's are very rude. Most of the teachers are new and less experienced. And they only need money.

Posted July 8, 2012

We LOVE this school! Montessori Children's House has been such a great fit for my grandson. They truly focus on each child's needs and development. Very welcoming and caring enviroment. He has developed so well, academically and socially. I wish I knew about the school when my kids were his age!

Posted January 12, 2011

My family is in its sixth year at Montessori Children's House and each of my four children has had an amazing experience there! The teachers and staff are extremely educated, knowledgeable and friendly. I love that the school not only offers the children that attend an amazing education, but allows them to explore other areas like music, art and Spanish. I also love that the school has several opportunities for families to socialize throughout the year at events like the Fall Carnival, Trunk or Treat and the Peace Festival. My family loves this school and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a preschool for his/her child!

Posted December 16, 2010

I have 3 children, all have attended MCH and 2 still do currently. I can't say enough great things about this school! My middle child is currently in the 5-7 classroom and is able to read, write, and perform mathematics several grade levels above his age. The student to teacher ratio is wonderful in the classrooms and I love all the culture and geopgraphy they are taught at such a young age. The teachers are very experienced and fabulous!

Posted November 12, 2010

Our 5-year-old daughter and 2-year-old daughter attend Montessori Children's House in West Des Moines and both love it. Our 5-year-old started kindergarten this year and has transitioned beautifully. MCH taught her to love learning and love school and I believe she will carry these lessons with her for the rest of her life. My 2-year-old is in the process of learning these lessons like her sister did and is doing great at school. I can't say enough about how much our family loves this school!

Posted September 2, 2009

Our oldest son attended MCH for 4 years and is now in 1st grade at public school. He loved his time at MCH and he absolutely loves his public school now. His adjustment has been excellent, and he is very well prepared. And best of all, he loves learning. My younger son went to the early childhood full-day program last year. I cannot say enough about this program as an alternative for 2yr olds to daycare. If you need full working day care (7:30-5:30) it gets very expensive but for my needs (9-3) it was perfect. The teachers are a dream. My sons sometimes cried when it was Saturday. :)

Posted February 20, 2009

We've had a very positive experience with our five year old daughter at MCH and we plan on sending our two year old son to the early childhood program next year. My daughter is in the enrichment program and each week she has special classes in art, gymnastics, science, and music. She is in the Spanish immersion program in the afternoon and she also has French classes during the week. I have been amazed with her social and individual growth and I attribute it to the Montessori environment and exceptional teachers at MCH. We moved from Chicago a year ago and I would put MCH on the same level as the best schools in the Chicago area. Highly recommended.

Posted February 18, 2009

Our 4 four year old son and 2 year old daughter attend MCH and we couldn t be more pleased with the school and its staff! Our children have learned so much from the fantastic teachers as well as the various programs that are offered such as music, art and Spanish. Our son is in the Spanish Immersion program and comes home signing songs he has learned in Spanish. I highly recommend MCH and think it provides a great foundation for life long learning.

Posted February 13, 2009

Our son has been at Montessori Children's House since 2005 and the knowledge and life skills he has learned and mastered are incredible. We feel we have set him on a solid path for life-long learning and independence that is unsurpassed in our community. I highly recommend the school, curriculum, staff, and teachers.

Posted February 12, 2009

We have one child at MCH and will be enrolling our second child next school year when he is the appropriate age. We are very pleased with the quality of the education and the commitment of the faculty and staff. While it is true that parents are encouraged to not go into the classroom, that is the Montessori model (the classroom is viewed as the childrens' place of work, and mom and dad are asked to respect that, although we do go in when appropriate) and we have seen our daughter blossom in the two years she has attended. She is excited to go in the morning and hates leaving at the end of the day. The school is quite new and beautiful, in my opinion, so I honestly wonder if the poster from 3/21 was at the other Montessori school in town or just has some sort of sour grapes.

Posted November 17, 2008

I think it is great, we've had 3 kids there, one did spanish emersion and the others did not. Regarding the Post of 3-21, the dull looking commit makes me think she's got the wrong school. This is a brand new great school, partially paid for by fundraising through the parents. It is a much more committed group than your typical school.

Posted March 31, 2008

I visited this school to look at taking my son there and I was not impressed at all. We were not allowed to go in and see what the children were doing. We had to look through a little glass in the door. The school was really dull looking and reminded me of a juvenille hall. The representative that gave us the tour was not friendly and rushed us right through. We were through the tour in about 10 minutes.

Posted September 18, 2006

I was so excited to find a true Montessori school, but soon became quite disappointed by the tactics used to influence behavior. Rather than the use of customary school discipline and reward nor Montessori techniques, this school used shame and setting children as examples to encourage desired behaviors. I understand that the Montessori philosophy is that a balanced classroom will self-discipline, but the staff took it a step further here. The programming is great and the kids do get exposed to enriching activities, but shaming a child to potty train or line up appropriately is wrong. Parents are not welcome in classrooms, but fundraising etc is welcome.

Asian 13% 1%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1505 42nd Street