Posted January 12, 2014
Concerning the band program, I have seen no instances of favoritism in my four years of marching band and Wind Ensemble. For example, my friend didn't make marching band her freshman year and remained in concert band the entire year, but by her junior year she was sitting first chair in Wind Ensemble, the best band in the school. DeVault, the band director, provides equal opportunities that every band student is able to utilize. Further, the marching band audition process is necessary to the well-being of the band. The marching band is comprised of 170 students, and through a rigorous rehearsal schedule we are able to produce a quality half-time show every year. In fact, in the 2013 season we received straight Superior ratings at the K-State festival and we were named Grand Champions of the Neewollah Marching Festival in Independence. The band program has taught me a lot about myself, given me the opportunity to make new friends, and it has by far been the best experience I have had at this school since my freshman year. Please do not get discouraged by some of the accusations in these reviews; I definitely would recommend joining the band to anyone.

Derby High School 3

Posted February 12, 2013
I had three children go to this school from 9th to 12th. Two have graduated so far. I feel that for the most part it has been a good experience. I agree with most that has been said good on here, but also agree with the one negative. That is favoritism, especially in band-choir-and sports. All three of my children have talents that they pursued, but students with a certain name do tend to land in parts regardless of talent. One student could not block for nothing (well known family), but never got pulled from the game---ever. One in Madrigals (my son was in this too) who absolutely could not sing or dance. This is pretty typical but sad. Other than that...great school.

Posted May 28, 2010
Derby High School is definitely a great school. Being military and close to retirement, we chose to stay here to keep our teens in this school. My only problem that I have seen is favoritism in the marching band. I have always been a large supporter of the marching band telling everyone I know to come and watch this amazing band. However, the band has now changed and it does not seem for the better. They lost a few competitions last year and now instead of anyone who wants to be in marching band can join, you have to audition and a lot of it is favoritism. It seems punish the masses for the few. I will still support this school and tell anyone I know to come, give this school a try. However, they have now lost a supporter with the marching band.

Posted April 07, 2010
I graduated in 2009 from Derby, and while I admit it that it is a large school and a small number of students are overlooked because teachers are required to focus on test scores instead of teaching. However, students and parents who are looking for a school to build their knowledge, skills and resume would find that DHS has one of the most extensive lists of extra-curriculars available in the state of Kansas as well as multiple opportunities for high achieving students to earn college credit in several Math, Science, and History courses as well as a Literary Analysis course. It has a nationally ranked Airbrush studio, and has one of the widest varieties of beneficial electives in the state: including anything from weightlifting to drama, drafting to German. I transitioned easily into University level work because DHS has a challenging honor's program that provided the knowledge I needed to excel.

Derby High School 2

Posted April 07, 2010
Over crowded student to teacher ratio to high. easy for a kid to get lost because of the size. The school district will not split schools to better the education because it might affect the quality of the sports. There are many better options around Derby for a quality education.

Posted March 01, 2010
This school is awesome and i love it only 25 credits to graduate and a little work not ahrd we enjoy number 1 in the state

Posted December 01, 2009
I went to Derby High. Graduated in 2008. The high school isn't as bad and people like to say. The teachers are great and its a good atmosphere there. Everybody in general is easy to get along with and there's a lot of activities for students to join in. Its really diverse there so you can learn a lot from others.

Posted November 29, 2009

Posted August 30, 2009
I recently graduated from this school and am attending the University of Kansas with a full ride scholarship through AFROTC and majoring in Mechanical Engineering. I believe that the teachers at this school do their best to take the students they're given and provide a rich learning environment so that they do just recieve good test scores and never amount to anything past that but go on to live full lives and become valuable citizens. I know that all of the teachers whom I was lucky enough to have while I was here provided me with a wide variety of tools to prepare me for college and life along with a vast knowledge of their subjects that has allowed me to transition smoothly into college life and recieve the scholarship that I did, because I never would have without them.

Posted July 16, 2009
My daughters recently graduated from Derby, one of my twins really enjoyed being at Derby High School, she performed with the Derby Color guard, played in the symphonic band, really had a great time going to New York with the band, she also traveled with JROTC, she went to Washington DC, Oklahoma City, several Leadership camps in Texas and drill team events all over the state. She truly had a great high school experience. Her twin graduated from the Derby Alternative High School where she was able to have a smaller student body and she really loved her teachers. So something was great for both kids and I'm very happy here in Derby.

Derby High School
920 North Rock Rd, Derby, KS  67037
Last modified Derby High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Derby High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top